PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Wet Plate / Trailer Camera

brock
30-Nov-2013, 14:06
I thought some of you might like this video... We made a massive camera out of a enclosed trailer... Shooting Wet Plate Collodion...

Her is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLKWDkjfMk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLKWDkjfMk)

Mark Woods
30-Nov-2013, 15:02
very cool.

Tin Can
30-Nov-2013, 15:29
Thanks!

Mark Woods
30-Nov-2013, 16:09
I think I saw a video of a guy who shoots tin types in a trailer he modified. Also very cool.

gleaf
30-Nov-2013, 16:15
Oh NO! Temptation. 5 x 10 box trailer right outside the door.
Any details on the fabric/material used for the 'bellows"'.
Looked to be 24 x 24 or so. Suggestions on a lens?

brock
30-Nov-2013, 18:12
@ gleaf…

The "bellows" - The bellows you see in the video are temporary, we have ordered customs bellows from a company out of New York… Turner Bellows… Although these are working great! We used heavy black plastic and curtain black out material… Glued them together then cut into the appropriate sized triangle, then glue the triangles together… The final product was 5 ft sq. at the trailer door and 1ft sq. at the lens…

The Lens - I bought the lens off ebay… I'm not real sure about it because its been re-built and they used a lens retainer off of a different lens… What I do know is that its a arieal lens made by Bell & Howell, F6 and heavy! it throws a 6 1/2 foot circle!

We will be shooting much larger plates soon… Hoping to get up to 6 ft. by the spring!

Jody_S
30-Nov-2013, 19:25
@ gleaf…

The "bellows" - The bellows you see in the video are temporary, we have ordered customs bellows from a company out of New York… Turner Bellows… Although these are working great! We used heavy black plastic and curtain black out material… Glued them together then cut into the appropriate sized triangle, then glue the triangles together… The final product was 5 ft sq. at the trailer door and 1ft sq. at the lens…

The Lens - I bought the lens off ebay… I'm not real sure about it because its been re-built and they used a lens retainer off of a different lens… What I do know is that its a arieal lens made by Bell & Howell, F6 and heavy! it throws a 6 1/2 foot circle!

We will be shooting much larger plates soon… Hoping to get up to 6 ft. by the spring!

Awesome! Keep up the good work! And I'm wondering if I can build a camera somehow into my sailboat...

gleaf
1-Dec-2013, 07:20
Thank you for the feedback. The boundaries are being challenged and the edges of doable are being explored.

Dan Fromm
1-Dec-2013, 09:07
The best thing about it is that its real.

Drew Bedo
1-Dec-2013, 14:02
Wow! How cool. and its really being done . . .unlike that hugh faux mega camera fromChicago.

Please keep showing us what you do.