PDA

View Full Version : Looking for locations in middle Florida.

Bill_4606
29-Nov-2013, 21:58
This winter, I'm planning on visiting the area around Lake Okeechobee. I'll have my 4x5 with me so I'm looking for ideas/locations in the area - east side to west side of Florida in that general area. Any thoughts? Thanks, Bill.

Doug Howk
30-Nov-2013, 03:01
Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales area.

Bill_4606
30-Nov-2013, 04:33
Very interesting. Thank you Doug.

Alan Curtis
30-Nov-2013, 06:21
Highlands hammock state park in Sebring.

John Kasaian
30-Nov-2013, 09:10
Highlands hammock state park in Sebring.

There are Highlands in Florida???

Wayne Crider
30-Nov-2013, 10:25
There are alot of parks and natural springs just north and west of Orlando. Check out http://www.floridastateparks.org/
The popular springs will probably be deserted of swimmers this time of year so probably for the better for shooting if they have winter hours. You can also rent canoes such as in Wekiva Springs and enjoy a nice wooded canoe trip. I don't know know the winter hours if any so check out the link above. You might also check out Mt. Dora, a popular place to visit and which has a nice old inn by a lake. With the fall migrations you should also find plenty of birds along rivers and in parks.

Alan Curtis
30-Nov-2013, 11:42
There are Highlands in Florida???

Bok tower, which is near Highlands hammock, is on the highest elevation in central FL, an oxygen thin 298'.

Alan Curtis
30-Nov-2013, 11:54
Just north of Okeechobee is the Taylor creek storm water treatment area. It's man made but has an abundance of oak and cypress trees with lots of Spanish moss. Very accessible for LF photography. It's about 2 miles north of Okeechobee on 441.
If you can go a little further south look into Corkscrew swamp.

gleaf
30-Nov-2013, 13:31
Spent much time south west of the 'glades. Love the area west of Everglades National Park. With a guide a boat trip through the backwater channels is a wonderful day trip.

Bill_4606
30-Nov-2013, 15:49
Alan, Wayne, glean,
Thanks for the great suggestions!

I'll probably take so time off when I'm in the Fort Pierce area, so the Taylor Creek suggestion sounds interesting Alan.
Floridastateparks.org sounds like a good resource... I'll check that out.
Bill

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2014, 04:37
My wife went to summer camp at Howey in the Hills in central FL you might want to give the areaa look. It seems to be caught in the 1920s.

"the Town of Howey. In 1927 the name was officially changed to Howey-in-the-Hills, this was done to reflect the location of the town in an area of rolling hills."

Elevation is 121'!

Bill_1856
4-Jun-2014, 05:36
Did you enjoy your trip LAST WINTER?

Peter Lewin
4-Jun-2014, 11:53
Has anyone noticed that Gary666 has been reviving a number of dead Location & Travel threads from 2013 and adding meaningless comments in pseudo-english? I am seriously beginning to think that Gary is a computer bot designed to add "almost comprehensible" comments to threads at random. There was an interesting NY Times article a while back about a blogger who wrote posts intentionally to look as if they were computer generated as a form of conceptual art. Of course there is the possibility that Gary has really travelled to all the places he comments about, and simply hasn't the vocabulary or grammar to describe his visits, but I doubt this highly. Perhaps one of our moderators could take a look?

Ken Lee
4-Jun-2014, 15:04
Thanks, I agree. He's been removed and expunged. We'll see what happens next.

Brian Schall
4-Jun-2014, 18:34
Fisheating Creek, the only free flowing stream in Lake Okeechobee. For ideas, look at Clyde Butcher's website: clydebutcher.com. I miss living in that area.

rdenney
5-Jun-2014, 09:34
Thanks, I agree. He's been removed and expunged. We'll see what happens next.

I had asked him to explain himself several days ago, but he didn't respond. I was on travel, and Ken followed through. (This is how things often go.) It wasn't quite obvious enough to ban him outright. I'm just saying this so those of you who reported this several days ago will know that we didn't ignore you.

Rick "thanks, Ken" Denney