View Full Version : Reducing back for 5x7

Mike Cockerham
23-Aug-2004, 12:18
I have a Conley 5x7 and I would like to put a back on that would allow me to shoot 4x5 also.


Ralph Barker
23-Aug-2004, 13:38
I'm assuming your's is one of the Conley's built back in the early 1900s, Mike. (There are pictures at: http://www.fiberq.com/cam/misc/conb.htm and http://www.fiberq.com/cam/misc/conny.htm)

It is possible that a reducing back from one of the other manufacturers at the time (Kodak? Ansco?) would fit, but I suspect that may be "iffy". If not, you might be able to adapt a modern removeable 4x5 back, such as a Toyo, to the camera via a custom-made adapter frame that will preserve the light-tight interface. That's what I did for my Tachihara 8x10, for example.

Hopefully, someone else here will be familiar with the Conley's specifics.

Ernest Purdum
23-Aug-2004, 13:39
Making an adapter to put a Graflok or other 4" X 5" back onto a larger camera like your Conley is a fairly straghforward job for a woodworker. Good materials are the thin plywood available at model shops and the various thicknesses of mahogany and (I think), cherry, available from www.micromark.com. You can glue up several layers to get the exact thickness needed.

If you may want to use a Polaroid holder, you'll need to space the Graflok part back far enough to allow for clearance. A 17/32" spacer will do.

Mike Cockerham
23-Aug-2004, 14:01
I think the camera was made after Conley became part of Sears. It has front bed instead of the tail board.


Mike Cockerham
23-Aug-2004, 14:06
Here is the model I have http://www.fiberq.com/cam/misc/connew.htm. Also what other manufactures extension rail may fit it?


james mickelson
23-Aug-2004, 15:29
All of these cameras used pretty much the same backs which came off so that they could be rotated to provide either vertical or horizontal format. There are a number of reducing backs available. I've seen them on ebay.

Ralph Barker
24-Aug-2004, 12:54
One more factor to consider, Mike, is the offset of the face of the film-holder channel from the mounting plate portion of the reducing back. While not usually a big deal with conventional film holders, it can be an issue if you want to use a Polaroid film holder. Some of the older reducing backs may not have enough space for the front bulge of the Polaroid holder.

25-Aug-2004, 23:17

if you can't find a back for your camera, get one of these from badger graphics


i bought one 2 years ago, and they work very well.