PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix back issue

csxcnj
29-Nov-2013, 10:03
A question for you Chamonix owners.

I've been getting to know my new 045F1 the last few weeks and am really impressed the more I get familiar with it except for one thing. The two tabs that lock the back in place are easily dislodged. Which can obviously cause the back to fall off. It happened twice, once I was able to catch it before it hit the ground, the second time it landed on grass so no harm done.

I am as careful as possible to make sure the tabs are firmly set but they are easily brushed out of place and I find them to be creeping up to the unlocked position in the course of moving/adjusting the camera almost every session.

Is this operator error on my part? The tabs seat flush with the top of the standard. They have resistance when moving them to the unlocked position so they are tight. I cant imagine this is just something I need to be constantly worrying about through the course of a days shooting but if so...

Is there a company that sells small parts for building LF cameras that I could purchase some surface mount slide locks from?

cheers, Bob

C. D. Keth
29-Nov-2013, 10:07
Try getting a couple rubber washers from the hardware store. They might hold against the metal a bit better than the nylon ones.

csxcnj
29-Nov-2013, 10:46
Try getting a couple rubber washers from the hardware store. They might hold against the metal a bit better than the nylon ones.

Chris, it is not an issue with a wheel/knob staying put it is the the locking tabs at the top of the rear standard that hold the ground glass/back in place.

dave_whatever
29-Nov-2013, 11:06
I've never had it happen with mine. You sure its not just the way its packed in your bag is unhooking them or something like that?

vinny
29-Nov-2013, 12:23
I've not had the issue with either my chamonix (45n-2) but I think you can tighten them with a phillips screwdriver with the back off, no?

Preston
29-Nov-2013, 13:04
I've not had the issue with either my chamonix (45n-2) but I think you can tighten them with a phillips screwdriver with the back off, no?

I haven't had the issue either (45N-2), but Vinny is correct. Remove the back and carefully tighten the screws. Just be sure to not get them too tight--you will still need to be able to lift the tabs without having to force them.

--P

csxcnj
29-Nov-2013, 13:16

Almost the right idea. Just found out by fiddling around that the screws that act as the stops for the lock tabs are set a little to high, not allowing them to seat as deeply as possible. I think a little metal filing should tak care of it. On looking more closely, currently the lock tabs sit a little proud of the top of standard when set to the lock position.

csxcnj
29-Nov-2013, 13:18
I've never had it happen with mine. You sure its not just the way its packed in your bag is unhooking them or something like that?

Yup, happens after set up and checking that everything is in position.

csxcnj
29-Nov-2013, 13:52
I haven't had the issue either (45N-2), but Vinny is correct. Remove the back and carefully tighten the screws. Just be sure to not get them too tight--you will still need to be able to lift the tabs without having to force them.

--P

They were as tight as you'd want them, I think I've found the problem.

e
1-Dec-2013, 21:39
Richard Ritter in Vt..can put locking screws in for you..
Totally worth it..imo..
They eliminate the possibility of anything ever coming loose..unless you want it to..
That means lensboards and backs..
All lock into place..
Perfect..

csxcnj
1-Dec-2013, 21:58
Richard Ritter in Vt..can put locking screws in for you..
Totally worth it..imo..
They eliminate the possibility of anything ever coming loose..unless you want it to..
That means lensboards and backs..
All lock into place..
Perfect..

I've fixed the tabs with some careful metal filing but I think I would like a more secure fix. I'll contact Mr. Ritter.