PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Pentax digital spot meter

jumanji
28-Nov-2013, 05:10
My Pentax digital spot meter suddenly died. I check the battery and it still has energy, so the problem come from the spot meter. I always keep it in the dry cabinet when it is unused.
Anyone has experience please advise. Can I fix it by myself? Or send it to Richard Ritter?

vinny
28-Nov-2013, 05:26
Richard ritter. If you take it apart, then what? Are you an electonics guru?

Steve Goldstein
28-Nov-2013, 05:48
Richard Ritter or Quality Light Metric. Both in the US, sorry.

jumanji
28-Nov-2013, 06:10
I know that sending it to RR or QLM would be the best choice. But this will take money and time, something I dont have much now. So I hope it can be fixed by a normal guy with good electrical skill.

One more thing: Which battery to choose? Silver or Lithium?

RichardRitter
28-Nov-2013, 07:37
Try a new battery. Once the voltage of a battery drops below a set voltage, set in the meter, the meter will stop working.
Battery type dose not matter.

Nathan Potter
28-Nov-2013, 07:54
Yes, take Richards advice with a new battery. I had that same problem and a new battery was the solution, so worth a try. I think (tho not sure) the original designers of the Pentax spot were afraid that when the battery voltage dropped the readings could be erroneous so they automatically put the meter in shut down mode at low battery voltage.

Nate Potter, Austin TX., Chatham MA.

smithdoor
28-Nov-2013, 08:30
try cleaning the battery box also check the springs holding the battery in place. I will most battery boxes are so check for what you pay
Also check the battery even if it new more one time I have found bad new battery's

Dave

Sal Santamaura
28-Nov-2013, 08:33
...One more thing: Which battery to choose? Silver or Lithium?

...Battery type dose not matter.Actually, battery type does matter. See my posts, especially #6, in this thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?5566-Pentax-digital-spot-meter-battery-question&p=36108&viewfull=1#post36108

It's amazing what one can find by searching the archive here. :D

jumanji
28-Nov-2013, 09:50
Thanks all.
I did check and the battery as well as the battery chamber are clear.
I measured the votage of the battery is 5.63V. It's an alkaline Enercell PX28A. I will buy a new silver oxide to check. If it still not working I think I will have to send it to you Richard. The whole shipping process (go and come back) will take about 5 weeks, and I dont have the ability of Ansel Adams with that Moon over Hernandez :(.
Indeed I did search and read you post Sal. I thought it's better if there is more comment regarding this problem (type of battery).
Now I'm thinking about having a spare meter :D.

Noah B
28-Nov-2013, 09:52
If a new battery doesn't work I'd suggest checking the battery terminals for any corrosion. If there's no corrosion open up the meter and check the soldering joints for any loose connections. If the connections are good then it might be a capacitor. Mouser electronics are a good online source for capacitors and electronics. I've repaired an older pentax 1/21 spot meter and a Mamiya metered prism, most of it was corroded terminals and re-soldering some wires. Good luck!

vinny
28-Nov-2013, 10:03
When you say normal electrical guy, do you mean a guy who can fix electronics but knows nothing about light meter calibration?
IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

Sal Santamaura
28-Nov-2013, 10:28
...I measured the votage of the battery is 5.63V. It's an alkaline Enercell PX28A. I will buy a new silver oxide to check...That's far lower than I've every measured when removing a silver oxide battery after one to one and one half years of (admittedly not heavy) use in this meter. It's typically dropped only from the initial 6.35V to no less than 6.0V open circuit. I don't know what the cutoff/shutdown voltage is that Richard mentioned above, but strongly suspect a fresh battery will bring your meter back to full function. By the way, Varta seems to be the only manufacturer still making silver oxide PX-28s.

Indeed I did search and read you post Sal. I thought it's better if there is more comment regarding this problem (type of battery)...I'm glad you performed a search prior to starting this thread. If, at that point, you felt more discussion was necessary, there was no reason to start a new thread on the battery type subject. Existing threads can be added to just as easily, thereby keeping the archive cleaner and easier to review.

h2oman
2-Dec-2013, 19:20
My spotmeter is flaking a bit, so I'm thinking my battery is going too. I'd like to have some backup, so here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/4SR44-Silver-Oxide-Battery-L1325/dp/B007JB179G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386037029&sr=8-5&keywords=544+silver+oxide+battery

:D

Cletus
3-Dec-2013, 06:42
Welllll....if it were me, and I'm only speaking for myself here, I think I'd just go for the new meter. $1,700 seems (to me) just a TAD steep for a new battery. Again, that's just me, YMMV. :p

My spotmeter is flaking a bit, so I'm thinking my battery is going too. I'd like to have some backup, so here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/4SR44-Silver-Oxide-Battery-L1325/dp/B007JB179G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386037029&sr=8-5&keywords=544+silver+oxide+battery

:D

Bill_4606
3-Dec-2013, 06:58
Here is a resource for those of you that are interested in comparing the various battery technologies.
http://www.watchbatteries-usa.com/faq.html
Like the Pentax spot meter, many watches use the characteristics of the battery technology as a design element. Thiis has been a legitimate design technique since the beginning of commercial battery operated devices. The FAQ sheet is a good (relatively) non-technical explanation.
Bill

h2oman
3-Dec-2013, 07:25
Welllll....if it were me, and I'm only speaking for myself here, I think I'd just go for the new meter. $1,700 seems (to me) just a TAD steep for a new battery. Again, that's just me, YMMV. :p

Oh, but you need to read more carefully. For the $1700 I get a new battery and 999 spares!

Cletus
3-Dec-2013, 07:59
Ha ha! You're right, I didn't read the listing as carefully as I might. If I didn't know better, Id'a thought the ad was for a battery FACTORY at that price!

Oren Grad
3-Dec-2013, 09:45
A bit late to this thread, but FWIW: Ricoh/Pentax still sells the Digital Spotmeter new in Japan so presumably they still service the thing, though I gather there have been some changes during the production run so it's possible that earlier ones can't be serviced now.

Anyway, if a new battery doesn't help and your meter does need repair, you might ask Dirk Rösler at Japan Exposures - possibly the cost and turnaround time would be less if you send it to Japan.

jumanji
4-Dec-2013, 02:44
Thanks Oren, I will try that.
Last Sunday I shot some nude. First, I took my friend's Gossen, but I was not familiar with it (Pentax is simple and also the best IMO :D) , so finally I shot all without meter, and also without a shutter :D (I used a "kinda lens cap shutter"). Yesterday I developed a half (4 of 7) and all 4 are fine. For contact print I think (and I prefer) a little more density would be better, but for scanning they are good.
I ordered two silver oxide batteries from Varta. While waiting for the shipping, I will try a new alkaline to see can it work back.

jumanji
18-Dec-2013, 23:55
Update: I received the Varta silver oxide battery today, and after attaching it, the meter works! Thank you Richard!
I also bought a non working Pentax spotmeter and will ship it to Richard to repair (if possible). So I may have a spare meter.
Thanks all :D.

Tim Meisburger
19-Dec-2013, 02:29
Ha. You are in Hanoi. Just have it fixed there. Plenty of places in Bangkok can fix anything. Lens CLA, $30. Repair Pentax (analog) spot meter, $30...

jumanji
19-Dec-2013, 06:26
Yes, I think it can be fixed here to be back to work, but correct or not is another problem.