PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Geronar 6.3/150mm MC vs old Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 150mm f4.5 lens

freddenacka
28-Nov-2013, 02:34
Halo
I´m looking for a not no expensive normnal lens to my Newton VC3 4x5 Camera.
Now I use a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 150mm f4.5 lens.
The big thing I miss is flash synk and I have some truble with the cable release.
I dont want a lens with less details.
I want to use it for moste portrait and landskapes.
Is it a bad choice? I can get it for mabey 100-200 dolar.
I´m thinking about the light of the to lenses, I have never used the tessar for less then F8 mostly I use it betwen 11-22.

My camera
http://monorecords.wordpress.com/large-format-photo/

IanG
28-Nov-2013, 06:54
It's quite easy to find flash sync Compur 1 shutters and simple to switch the Tessar cells over. I use a CZJ 150mm f4.5 "T" Tessar (coated) and it's a superb lens equally as good as the last 150mm f5.6 Xenars.

I have both the 150mm and 210mm Geronars and they a re great little lenses, I really got mine for portraits and haven't used them except for a few landscapes where they are excellent stopped down to f22.

Just looking at your camera/lens I don't think your Tessar is #1 Compur compatible as it's in an older Dial set Compur shutter.

Remember that the Geronars are budget Triplet lenses they were inexpensive new so don't pay too much for one. For $200 or the £/Euro equivalent you could get a decent 150mm Symmar or Sironar N in a modern Copal shutter.

Ian

freddenacka
28-Nov-2013, 07:03
It's quite easy to find flash sync Compur 1 shutters and simple to switch the Tessar cells over. I use a CZJ 150mm f4.5 "T" Tessar (coated) and it's a superb lens equally as good as the last 150mm f5.6 Xenars.

I have both the 150mm and 210mm Geronars and they a re great little lenses, I really got mine for portraits and haven't used them except for a few landscapes where they are excellent stopped down to f22.

Just looking at your camera/lens I don't think your Tessar is #1 Compur compatible as it's in an older Dial set Compur shutter.

Remember that the Geronars are budget Triplet lenses they were inexpensive new so don't pay too much for one. For $200 or the £/Euro equivalent you could get a decent 150mm Symmar or Sironar N in a modern Copal shutter.

Ian

Halo!
Thanks for your answer!
I´m running of a smal budget now, would it be a big differens betwin Symmar or Sironar to a Geronar?
If there is I might wait to afford one like that.
My tessar is uncoted but I really like it exept that I would like to use a flash and there is problem with the cable releaser.

BradS
28-Nov-2013, 09:35
...I´m running of a smal budget now, would it be a big differens betwin Symmar or Sironar to a Geronar?

At f/22 there is really no perceptible difference between them. The Geronar will be a little softer than the Sironar when the aperture is opened up wider than about f/8 or so. If you like the Tessar, you will also probably like the Geronar. They are somewhat similar in design. Obviously, the geronar will be far less expensive (or, should be). The Geronar is also much smaller and weighs less than the Sironar.

The Geronar was also named "Caltar II-E" and the Sironar is also often named "Caltar II-N".

Bernice Loui
28-Nov-2013, 10:16
Other choices would be to find a Schneider Xenar, were made in dial set Compur shutters like this Zeiss Tessar to a modern black rim Copal. Bargains can still be found with not too much effort and the Xenar is
a under rated lens.

For the budget of $200 it should be easy to find a modern plasmat in this focal length as there are so many of them on the used market.

Image rendition between the Plasmat / Tessar will be different. Depending on your preferences, best to try them both and go from there.

Don't fall into the name brand reputation trap, while Zeiss made some excellent optics, they are not the only brand capable of producing excellent optics. Know a famed brand name could commands a cost adder in the market place with little real added value.

Bernice

freddenacka
28-Nov-2013, 10:53
What is the different between Symmar and Sironar?

C. D. Keth
28-Nov-2013, 11:06
I have a 210mm geronar and, cheap or not, it's a favorite of mine. I use it for everything but it's really pleasant opened up on portraits.

IanG
28-Nov-2013, 13:07
What is the different between Symmar and Sironar?

The Symmar is made by Schneider, the Sironar by Rodenstock. The plain Sironar's are best avoided as they have less coverage than the Sironar N or more expensive S and have issues with separation.

Ian

freddenacka
29-Nov-2013, 03:03
The Symmar is made by Schneider, the Sironar by Rodenstock. The plain Sironar's are best avoided as they have less coverage than the Sironar N or more expensive S and have issues with separation.

Ian

This is the one that I might be intrested in
http://auktion.lpfoto.se/auk/w.Object?inC=LP&inA=20130509_1747&inO=49

IanG
29-Nov-2013, 03:22
This is the one that I might be intrested in
http://auktion.lpfoto.se/auk/w.Object?inC=LP&inA=20130509_1747&inO=49

The Symmar S is also worth looking at they are Multicoated and better than the older convertible single coated Symmars. I use 135mm & 210mm Symmar S lenses (the 135mm is re-badged as a Caltar, both very sharp lenses.

Ian