PDA

View Full Version : Usability of the Chamonix Saber vs. Polaroid conversion

richardman
27-Nov-2013, 00:56
Hi folks, has anyone ever used both a Chamonix Saber and a Polaroid converted 4x5, e.g. Alpenhause, Razzle etc.?

I have a Saber with 120mm APO Symmar that I like a lot. I have now purchased a Xenotar 135 and I am wondering which body to get. Specifically Alpenhause can get close focusing which is a plus. The Saber is very light and convenient to use. The Sbaer VF is OK and the RF is usable, although obviously not Leica like. If you have used both, how you compare them in terms of RF patch brightness and other handling issues?

Thanks

Drew Bedo
27-Nov-2013, 06:02
While I have zero direct experience with either of these cameras, I know that neither of them have "Leica-like" range finders. Does that help any?

I have long wished that Leica had made a Mamya-7-ish camera, or something like the X-Pan or larger.

richardman
27-Nov-2013, 06:06
Yes, the Saber is definitely not Leica-like, nor XPan like. I have a few of those too. I am sure Polaroid is not either.

EdSawyer
27-Nov-2013, 12:37
The Mamiya 7 is I think the gold standard of rangefinders, both in terms of the overall package and of the rangefinder function/image/quality. Let us know what you find out, Richard.

-Ed

richardman
27-Nov-2013, 13:43
I am tilting toward the Saber, but there will be a 4+ month wait... Ugh.

richardman
27-Nov-2013, 13:45
I had a Mamiya 7II too. Used it for a year+. Sold it to buy the M9 :-)

I love the Leica RF better, but those two are very close.

Phil Hudson
27-Nov-2013, 14:35
Personally I prefer the handling of the Saber - the layout just feels more intuitive to me, especially in landscape orientation. In the past I have owned a Littman, and still have a Four Designs Polaroid conversion (both Polaroid 110 based I think). The rangefinders I have found to be surprisingly accurate, although there is a certain amount of play in the focusing mechanism with all of them.

richardman
27-Nov-2013, 18:00
Phil, thanks. I agree with the orientation.

So how does the VF/RF compare between the Saber and other 2 converted Polaroids you have used? Brightness? Accuracy, such as it is?

Thanks