PDA

View Full Version : Various NOS plates?

Steven Tribe
21-Nov-2013, 03:09
These came with an old studio set.

1. Kodak 1/4 plate P1200 super panchromatic press.
2. Ilford 3 1/4 x 3 1/4" special lantern plates contrasty.

I assume the lantern plates are super slow for making positive slides from negatives?
The Agfa box has unknown 13x18cm glass slides inside.

I ask because there are quite a few boxes - rather than one orphan!

IanG
21-Nov-2013, 05:24
I have the AGFA formulae for the Lupex emulsions, it was a Silver Chloride contact paper available in a range of grades. So re-use of empty boxes here.

The lantern slides are developed in a print developer usually with less bromide than normal, essentially similar to a paper emulsion.

The P1200 was a fast panchromatic emulsion I have data-sheets for it somewhere (1940's) also a Kodak advert for it in the 1940 BJPA. I'll dig them out for you.

Ian

IanG
21-Nov-2013, 07:00
Well Kodak claim in 1940 that P1200 is the fastest plate in the world but it was the same speed as Super-X and Ilford were already into their second generation of modern emulsions - FP2 & HP2, Kodak had only released the Plus-X, Super-X & Tri-X series in 1938/39. HP2 plates were faster than P1200.

Here's the details of P1200:

The 1940 BJPA advert

From the Kodak (Ltd) 1940 Professional Catalogue.

I'll have the dat for the Ilford Lantern slides somewhere as well :D

Ian

Steven Tribe
21-Nov-2013, 16:03
I doubt the plates still have the fastest emulsion in the world!
Thanks for looking them up, Ian. I'll check the contents of the 9x12cm boxes tomorrow. Definitely glass (weight) but could be exposed or unexposed plates.

Steven Tribe
23-Nov-2013, 03:28
The two boxes of "Agfa lupex" have very different contents!

One has a lot of exposed 13x18cm plates - group pictures and wedding/celebrations and two shots of very well equipped (University?) chemistry lab. Looks like late '50s. There was a single sheet film that had exactly the same image as one of the glass plates - perhaps this is when the photographer went over to sheet film for ever?
The plate envelopes are given dates, without the year, but he is "Lajos Foto, Dalsjofors".
This is small town about an hours drive from where I got hold of these in Sweden.
Lajos is an Hungarian male Christian name. This matches with the period after 1956, when there a lot of refugees from the uprising who settled in Scandinavia. I knew a film photographer in Denmark who had the same experience!

The other box is a 1/2 plate package of the same Kodak P1200 - made in the UK.