PDA

View Full Version : Aldis Anastigmat?

Ian Greenhalgh
20-Nov-2013, 11:35
Does anyone know what formula the Aldis Anastigmat lenses actually are? I haven't been able to find any concrete info, the one I have is a triplet, but does that mean they are all triplets?

Dan Fromm
20-Nov-2013, 12:46
No, some are Uno types. Cemented doublet in front of the diaphragm, biconvex (and nearly flat) behind it. See Kingslake, History of the Photographic Lens, fig. 6.4

Ian Greenhalgh
20-Nov-2013, 13:03
I have an f7.7 Uno, not been able to use it due to being in a broken shutter.

It's the later ones that intrigue me, 1930s and 1940s. I saw an f3.4 4 inch the other day from a 6x9 focal plane camera and there is an f8 10 inch on ebay now.

I guess the only way to really know is to examine them.

IanG
20-Nov-2013, 13:25
I can look in my BJPA's for you, photos would help. Their Telegraphic address was "Optical, Birmingham" but they were always a small manufacturer Houghton's used their lenses which fell between Beck/Bausch and TTH Cooke in terms of price/quality.

This may help

You should be able to find the Aldis Patents.

Ian

Ian Greenhalgh
20-Nov-2013, 15:02
Thanks Ian. So Beck and B&L were the cheap stuff? I haven't got a particular lens n mind, I nearly bought that f3.4/4", but I already have more than enough 'normal' lenses for 6x9.

Just labelling everything Anastigmat is pretty unhelpful when trying to find out info such as coverage. For instanve, an f8/10" lens merely labelled Aldis Anastigmat, how to determine what format it was intended for or find out much else about it?

IanG
20-Nov-2013, 15:23
Thanks Ian. So Beck and B&L were the cheap stuff? I haven't got a particular lens n mind, I nearly bought that f3.4/4", but I already have more than enough 'normal' lenses for 6x9.

Depends on the exact lenses chosen by a camera manufacturer, Aldis made a range of lenses. Beck and Aldis were best known for quite pedestrian lenses but both companies tried to break out of that market, unsuccessfully, maybe because their major competitors had cornered the UK market. B&L's best lenses were made under license and they couldn't be sold in the UK (except with US made cameras) as Ross held the licenses here.

Just labelling everything Anastigmat is pretty unhelpful when trying to find out info such as coverage. For instanve, an f8/10" lens merely labelled Aldis Anastigmat, how to determine what format it was intended for or find out much else about it?

This is where Aldis adverts can help, but they didn't advertise fully in the BJPA which is the main source in the UK.

Ian

Dan Fromm
20-Nov-2013, 15:33
Ians, in the US B&L sold at a variety of price points.

Ian Greenhalgh, many makers used the designation anastigmat on lenses of many types. Consider the first lenses engraved Anastigmat. CZJ Anastigmats, to be exact, later renamed Protars after other makers started to use the designation anastigmat, and made under license by E. Krauss, Ross, Suter and, oh, yes, the bottom-of-the barrel B&L.

Why don't you buy all the mystery anastigmats you can afford and write an article about them? Design type, coverage (in degrees, please), how well they shoot, ... You might be able to economize by buying catalogs and then buying only the mystery lenses that aren't in them. The world's waiting, get to work!

And write an article that contains all you learn. Random posts on bulletin boards really won't do. The world wants a comprehensive article.

Ian Greenhalgh
20-Nov-2013, 15:57
Depends on the exact lenses chosen by a camera manufacturer, Aldis made a range of lenses. Beck and Aldis were best known for quite pedestrian lenses but both companies tried to break out of that market, unsuccessfully, maybe because their major competitors had cornered the UK market. B&L's best lenses were made under license and they couldn't be sold in the UK (except with US made cameras) as Ross held the licenses here.

This is where Aldis adverts can help, but they didn't advertise fully in the BJPA which is the main source in the UK.

Ian

Thanks Ian. That f8/10" is a wartime item I think as it has a 14A/ code on it. I was intrigued because of the small max aperture as to what design it might be. I know Wray made some f8 Lustrars that were 4/3 tessar types, f8 wouldn't be unusual for a 4/4 dialyte, or it might be an updated version of the old f7.7 Uno. I doubt there's any way to find out what it is without buying it and examining it.

Jody_S
20-Nov-2013, 23:29
Does anyone know what formula the Aldis Anastigmat lenses actually are? I haven't been able to find any concrete info, the one I have is a triplet, but does that mean they are all triplets?

Most of them, perhaps? Mine is a triplet, it performs quite well, but it's a very ordinary lens and if I just want a sharp image, I have better lenses on hand.

Ian Greenhalgh
21-Nov-2013, 06:25
Thanks Jody. I have a feeling most of them are triplets and nothing to write home about.

Steven Tribe
19-May-2014, 13:24
I thought a few more details of the offers from Aldis in the 1920's might help Aldis owners who stubble on this thread.

These are interesting for the pictorial lens enthusiasts as they show there were 2 series which had the soft focus adjustment. Which is different from what Lens VM has to say! They also give the number of each lens (denoting series AND focal length) which is always present on the lens, whilst series number is usually absent.