PDA

View Full Version : Filter on Sinar shutter and for 3 color separation negatives

jumanji
20-Nov-2013, 09:02
My two concerns:

Is there any filters system that fits on Sinar shutter other than the Sinar Color control filters? What's the bad thing about Sinar filters? Because I see them end cheaply.

I will try to do 3 color separation negatives. What filters do I need? This will relate to the concern above...

Thank you!

Mark Woods
20-Nov-2013, 14:40
For three color separations, you'll need primary red, green, and blue. I'm sure there are calibrated filters used in lithography that you might find. There's a Russian photographer who shot this way in the 1920's I believe. Pretty amazing work. A real look back in time in color.

AtlantaTerry
20-Nov-2013, 14:57
My two concerns:

Is there any filters system that fits on Sinar shutter other than the Sinar Color control filters? What's the bad thing about Sinar filters? Because I see them end cheaply.

I will try to do 3 color separation negatives. What filters do I need? This will relate to the concern above...

Thank you!

Google: Harris Shutter

This will give you more than enough information on the filters you need.

Drew Wiley
20-Nov-2013, 16:23
Look for the Sinar Epolux shutter system. It was a prematurely early entry into successive tricolor digital photography that included a rotating RGB color
wheel. Ideal for what you need. If you can find one at all, it will probably be free. But if you need to look for just filters, you'll need 29 red, 58 green, and 47B blue.
Balancing you film to the same density and gamma afterwards will be pretty tricky. The best film made right now for color separations in TMax100, but with a tad
more difficulty it can be done with TMax400 or FP4. Because the blue exposure will be relatively slow, one trick is to use TMX100 for the red and green exposures,
but the faster TMY400 for the blue.

doublezero
20-Nov-2013, 16:36
hello ,

have a look here : http://trichromie.free.fr/trichromie/

jumanji
20-Nov-2013, 21:44
Thanks all for great info.
Yes the early Russian work and Keith Taylor's current work inspire me to do this. I will try 3 color gum bichromate, with 3 sheets 8x10, of course not digital negative.
Somtimes I see the Epolux shutter on Ebay and yes they end inexpensive, but I think I will stick with Sinar Auto shutter. Too many accessories for the Epolux.
I will research the Harrison shutter and the French site later. doublezero, what's the process did he use?

AtlantaTerry
20-Nov-2013, 22:51
Harris shutter

jumanji
20-Nov-2013, 23:05
Oh my bad. I was obsessed by C.C Harrison lens :D.

jnantz
21-Nov-2013, 06:52
hi jumanji

i can't comment on the filters you use but
a tricolor filter se is usually 25 Red, 58 Green,
and 47 Blue.

for a while i tried to get lighting gels that would be comparable
to the glass filters but i didn't have the time/energy to follow through ..

this thread might be some help ( and you don't have to translate from french :) )
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?48209-National-Fotocolor-One-Shot-Camera

have fun !
john

jumanji
21-Nov-2013, 07:05
Great info. Thanks John.

jumanji
28-Nov-2013, 01:39
I've purchased a lot of Kodak Wratten filters and I think I will just hold each in front of the lens for multiple exposures :D. This will minimize the move of the camera during multiple exposures.

AtlantaTerry
29-Nov-2013, 04:19
I've purchased a lot of Kodak Wratten filters and I think I will just hold each in front of the lens for multiple exposures :D. This will minimize the move of the camera during multiple exposures.

It's easier than that.

Mark off five square areas out of a long section of black card.
Cut out three of the middle areas leaving the first and fifth areas (at the ends) uncut.
Glue / tape the three Wratten filters onto the card so one covers holes #2, #3 & #4.
Use black card to make a long rectangular tube in which the above mentioned long card can slide.
Have a solid stop at the bottom otherwise the long card will fall to the ground.
At the top of the tube there should be a round hole that will slide over your lens or attach to a filter ring.
Focus, compose, stop down as normal.
Set your shutter speed to something longish like 1/2 second.
Insert the long card to the first uncut area covers your lens.
Release the shutter.
Drop the card.
As the card falls the film will be exposed one at a time by each of the filters.
When the card hits the bottom the final blank area will cover your lens.
Your shutter will close at the end of the set exposure time (1/2 second).
You have just used gravity to make a tricolor exposure with a Harris Shutter.

jumanji
29-Nov-2013, 06:32
If I understand correctly, the result would be only one negative with three multiple exposures through three filters? My purpose is to make three separate negatives, each through one filter.

AtlantaTerry
30-Nov-2013, 04:38
If I understand correctly, the result would be only one negative with three multiple exposures through three filters? My purpose is to make three separate negatives, each through one filter.

OK, that is different. Sorry I didn't remember that detail from your original posting. :(
Then do this: http://users6.nofeehost.com/gepanpag/33_b.jpg

› › ›-----›

What a Harris Shutter does is capture a sense of motion since each portion of the one negative is exposed a moment in time after the prior one. This works for leaves moving, water flowing, traffic, etc.

Examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=harris+shutter&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KeOZUpD_DMmrkAenmIHIDA&sqi=2&ved=0CCwQsAQ&biw=1061&bih=755

ic-racer
30-Nov-2013, 15:05

I don't do color but I thought the dye transfer materials were no longer available.