PDA

View Full Version : Plate for 8x10 view camera

jumanji
20-Nov-2013, 08:13
After researching, I''ve found that there are two plates that are recommended for 8x10: Sunway 813 and RRS B35. Anyone has used them please give me your idea? Which one is better for, says a Chamonix 8x10 on an Arca B2?

cowanw
20-Nov-2013, 14:08
You might take a look at Jobu, very solid and cheaper.
http://www.jobu-design.com/Surefoot-Plates_c_7.html
I use the 4.5 inch and 5.5 inch plates. they have a lip at one end to square the plate and prevent rotation. Some have two screws. My heaviest 8X10 has both a 1/4 and 3/8 female on the bottom so I used both screws there. I doubled the distance from the edge of the base to the screw hole and use that length of plate. This keeps the base centred but allows to and fro balancing as well.
Note that no lever action heads and plates are standard. Some lever action heads can be adjusted.
I prefer knob screw heads for that reason.
PS Eyeballing the camera on the web site you might go with the nx3 or nx4 to take advantage of two screw holes.
PPS I would not go with the sunway with one screw as your camera would rotate depending on whether the torque was in the direction of the screw.
Two screws like the RRS should be fine. two screws and a lip would be the best.

jumanji
20-Nov-2013, 21:34
Thanks Bill. The Jobu (that name is cool :D) price is between the Sunway and RRS. However I think it's pretty narrow. A little extra width would be better.
The Sunway can use with both two screws:
Rotating camera also sometimes happens with my Gitzo 1570, especially at long extended bellows.

jumanji
11-Dec-2013, 01:56
I decided to go with the Sunway 813. It arrives today and fits perfectly!

UlbabraB
11-Dec-2013, 02:15
I use the Sunwayfoto 813 with my Tachihara 8x10 and two screws and I'm pretty happy with it.