PDA

View Full Version : Exhibit Rental Fee

Richard Wasserman
19-Nov-2013, 12:47
I am discussing the possibility of an exhibit at an art museum in the near future and they are asking me what my rental fee is. This is a new concept for me and I am hoping to get some guidance as to what to charge. I would be providing framed photographs, and am unsure of the quantity at this time. Thanks much!

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2013, 13:04
That usually means they are delivered in shipping cases ie a prepackaged insured product-a prepackaged traveling exhibit with text, captions etc. all inclusive? Prices vary ENORMOUSLY! Ones I have been involved in ran $15-30K not related to size or number of prints so much as the desirability and uniqueness of the exhibit. Generally the fee includes shipping to the venue and they pay for it back. Since my exhibits were packaged and traveled by a museum, I saw little of these fees.

invisibleflash
19-Nov-2013, 13:38
OP, no idea...but Good for YOU!!

Richard Wasserman
21-Nov-2013, 07:23
No easy answer (I'm not surprised) so I it's time for a phone call and an actual conversation, instead of email which has it's limitations. I'll be talking with the curator later today.

Thanks Iluvmyviewcam, much appreciated!

Rafal Lukawiecki
22-Nov-2013, 02:17
Richard, please post how the things develop, if you don't mind. I've been asked the same question, though I don't need to answer for another few months.

IanG
22-Nov-2013, 03:11
My experience in the UK is that better Art Galleries & Museums will pay a weekly fee for work on their walls (or on display), how much is obviously negotiable but it's often possible to find out what they pay for touring exhibitions or commissioning new work.

As Kirk says quantity is relatively unimportant however the space involved is. It's also important to know how you want the work hung, some galleries/curators want an input, others will leave it up to you.

You need to ideally plan the use of the wall space and taking to account spacing, sequencing, captioning, and any other text materials that need displaying, usually an artists Bio and statement about the work. Poor sequencing and also editing can let a body of work down so pre-planning is important.

Ian

Richard Wasserman
22-Nov-2013, 09:58
I'll be sure to report on my progress. I am waiting for a call back from the curator so I can find out what their requirements and expectations, as well as how much wall space they will be offering me are.

invisibleflash
23-Nov-2013, 13:36
I'll be sure to report on my progress. I am waiting for a call back from the curator so I can find out what their requirements and expectations, as well as how much wall space they will be offering me are.

Did the museum contact you initially or did you contact the museum? If they did the footwork, did they mention how they learned about your work? It would be nice to hear about the backstory that led to your question.