PDA

View Full Version : What staining developer for Fomapan 100

mihag
18-Nov-2013, 14:24
As there are many choices of staining develpers I'm looking for some help to choose the right one for tray developing of Fomapan 100 (in 4x5). It could either be pyrogallol or catechol based but it should be readily available in Europe.

jp
18-Nov-2013, 14:31
I've used pyrocat hd and pmk with that film successfully. No idea about european availability.

mihag
18-Nov-2013, 14:35
pyrocat is available here. is there a notable difference between the pyrocat and PMK? Thanks

jp
18-Nov-2013, 14:42
PMK reduces film speed and highlight contrast for me; compensating style. I use it for sunny bright mid-day negatives to tame contrast. Pyrocat hd is more general purpose with weaker compensating depending on agitation.

You're opening up a can of worms asking how they are different. Many people have opinions on that stuff and you are best served by trying rather than discussing.

andreios
18-Nov-2013, 15:43
I've had very nice results with Moersch Tanol.

Ken Lee
18-Nov-2013, 15:58
pyrocat is available here. is there a notable difference between the pyrocat and PMK? Thanks

You might find this article helpful: Pyro Staining Developers (http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html) on Unblinking Eye.

While there has been much discussion and comparison - and people mean well with their recommendations - most of it is anecdotal: "I like this" and "You can't go wrong with that". Few articles provide actual test data. That one does.

mihag
18-Nov-2013, 16:01
I've had very nice results with Moersch Tanol.

Any starting points for tray development as Moersch doesn't list times for Foma films.

mihag
18-Nov-2013, 16:04
You might find this article helpful: Pyro Staining Developers (http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html) on Unblinking Eye.

Thanks for reminding me of this article, I read it some time ago but forgot about it.

andreios
18-Nov-2013, 16:10
I develop my negatives in rotary drum (jobo 2830), will look up my notes tomorrow...