PDA

View Full Version : Rust on Shutter Blades

seabee1999
17-Nov-2013, 19:41
As I mentioned earlier in the week, a B&J Orbitar fell into my lap. I'd like to use it but it needs some servicing. Currently, the leaf shutter has rust on the blades. The shutter itself does work but the accuracy of the how long the shutter will stay open is probably compromised. So the question is this, is there a DIY fix for this? Should I simply send it into Flutot's in LA to get fixed? I am just looking for some cost effective suggestions. Thanks for your time.

God Bless,
David

Jim Galli
17-Nov-2013, 21:20
This will sound ghastly, but I've actually taken a jewelers screwdriver and rubbed the corrosion off of shutter blades. A bit of WD40 on a swab where the rust was, then remove that so it is fully dry and as long as it was just surface flakes, you're good to go. Hold it up to a light source. If the rust was deep enough so that a tiny pinhole is left, that's another kettle.

seabee1999
18-Nov-2013, 13:42
Thanks for that idea Jim. I might try that, perhaps not the jewelers screwdriver part but with a swap with some lighter fluid or the WD40.

God Bless,
David

Jim C.
18-Nov-2013, 16:00
Use a fiberglass brush, they're readily available at Radio Shack, it's used to clean electrical contacts, I cleaned off some rust on the shutter blades on my raptar shutter with it.
Just don't push really hard, lightly scrub it, try to support the blades with your finger if you're steady enough, and have a naptha moistened cotton swab handy to wipe up the loose rust.
It'll take a bit but it'll remove most of the rust depending on how bad the rust is.

seabee1999
18-Nov-2013, 16:22
Thanks Jim. I actually just received a fiberglass brush from a friend of mine literally 2 minutes ago. I'll try that with some lighter fluid and see what happens.

God Bless,
David

Jim C.
18-Nov-2013, 22:26
seabee1999, just to make sure you understood what i suggested with the fiberglas brush, use it dry.
the naptha/ lighter fluid moistened cotton swab is to wipe up the rust particles the brush scrubs off.

seabee1999
24-Nov-2013, 08:10
Again, thanks for the DIY idea Jim and Jim. It is like the shutter has a new life.

God Bless,
David