PDA

View Full Version : Eastman Commercial 8x10 Model B-question

dimento
17-Nov-2013, 03:16
The above camera seems like a reasonably lightweight possibility for an 8X10,

does anyone have one and can give me some feedback?

I think I read somewhere that the basic model has a short rail and is not so good for say head/shoulders portraits?

Lensboards, are they standard, easy to find?

any other tips appreciated. I'm thinking of buying one

D

dimento
17-Nov-2013, 04:54
dammit, the one I was looking at has sold, still be interested to hear thoughts

Regular Rod
17-Nov-2013, 05:57
I used to have a whole plate sized Model B. It was easy and quick to set up. The lens could stay mounted when the camera was folded. Mine had an extended rail that was a minute or two to add on for portraiture. Mostly I used it for interiors/ landscape/medieval architecture with a Wray lens. I was a fool to sell it during a downsizing house move!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7093/7248891620_7ed568bc97_c.jpg

RR

dimento
17-Nov-2013, 07:35
Nice work,thanks for the info, what was the bellows extension like w/o the ext rail

and while I'm at it, any opinions on the Kodak 2D? thanks

Peter De Smidt
17-Nov-2013, 07:59
I have a 2D 8x10. It's light weight and quick to set up. It's kinda sturdy :). It wouldn't be my first choice on a gusty day. It doesn't have front tilt, if you value that. It's a nice camera for location portraiture and general landscape work.

dimento
17-Nov-2013, 08:23
@Peter, thanks for the info, always good to hear from an owner

Michael S
17-Nov-2013, 10:47
I own and love my Kodak 2D camera. It is a quick set up and it is the quintessential field view camera for 8x10, being light weight for its size.

Regular Rod
17-Nov-2013, 12:26
Nice work,thanks for the info, what was the bellows extension like w/o the ext rail...

AFAICR about 30 inches.

RR

Fredrick
19-Nov-2013, 07:30
I have one.

... It's heavy, clumsy and impossible to fit in a backpack. I have to use a 130L Reconpack to carry it. I have the model with the extention rail and the front tilt. It works, it makes photos - but it is heavy and somewhat cumbersome to set up.

Regular Rod
19-Nov-2013, 12:58
I have one.

... It's heavy, clumsy and impossible to fit in a backpack. I have to use a 130L Reconpack to carry it. I have the model with the extention rail and the front tilt. It works, it makes photos - but it is heavy and somewhat cumbersome to set up.

Are you sure it's a model B? Mine fitted into a small rucksack.

RR

DrTang
19-Nov-2013, 13:46
used to have one years ago...still might have the tripod for it somewhere

never liked the design - in wood or magnesium... I found it kind of 'rickety' compaired to a Deardorf or Agfa I got later.

ederphoto
19-Nov-2013, 17:56
First of all it is an 8x10 so expect it to be in the 12 lbs range , just like a Kodak 2D , Deardorff , Korona , Senecas .I've had them all .This is a much better camera than the wooden ones .I had one eastman commercial that took a beating and it was as sturdy as a new one ,unlike the wooden cameras .Ansel Adams had and used one for a long time .If it was good for him it should be good for us .These cameras have extension rails for them but if you buy a camera with one missing ... it can a pain finding one .Find one with the extension and you can shoot close ups and anything that pleases you .They are great cameras , go for it , you won't regret .Remember ... Stuuuuuurdy !!!

dimento
19-Nov-2013, 23:51
Thanks for all the replies.

@ederphoto thanks, the one I was mulling over had no extension rail, so it's prob best there is a guy called Matt Marash who goes around shooting on one at Trade Shows etc.

cheers, D