PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Best Used View Camera For $ 500?

Johnny Reno
16-Nov-2013, 08:24
I want to get a used view camera. I have a Crown Graphic that I will use most of the time. I am thinking of a Cambo SC. I would like it to be light but not flimsy. Would also need a case (not included in the $500). I can't find much on cases. Would have to have a case to be able to take all the plunder on location. A thousand years ago in photography school I used a cardboard box. Hoping for something better. On the camera, I could go over the $500 a little. I need light and sturdy. All info much appreciated. I will get a sherpa cart unless you have better ideas. Thanks, Johnny Reno

Ari
16-Nov-2013, 08:39
If you're looking for a monorail, it's tough to beat the value of a Calumet 4x5.
There is one for sale here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?108316-FS-Long-rail-Calumet-4x5-camera-w-lensboard(s)-darkcloth-case-compendium-hood

They are tough, cheap, and have all the movements you need.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Nov-2013, 08:42
Two suggestions: Sinar Alpina, Linhof Color. I paid $75 each for mine. The Sinar breaks down nicely for schlepping. The Color not so much, but still good.

Sinar F1 cameras are also economical and can be backpacked.

mdarnton
16-Nov-2013, 08:57
I had a Cambo SC for about 10 years. In the studio it was great, but I took it on a couple of road trips to Europe and on one trip the front frame got bent. It was easy to straighten, but I see how it could have easily broken. The bottom part that holds the two upright posts is just a thin aluminum or magnesium casting shell, and relatively fragile, I realized when it happened. So, it's a great camera to use, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but not for packing out.

Before that I had two of the Calumets in Ari's post. That one's built like a truck, but it's kind of heavy and doesn't pack easily. I actually bought the Cambo so I wouldn't have to take the Calumet to Europe the first time. If you don't mind the inconvenience, though, you could probably put a strap on it and sling it over your shoulder and never worry about it getting broken. :-) Also, they're dirt cheap, so if you buy one and don't like it, you could almost throw it away.

Both cameras come in a normal or long version--I had the long in both cases--and the Calumet also came in a wide model with a short bar. The Cambo takes interchangable bellows, so for W/A you can buy the short bellows and put the camera on the front end of the bar.

John Kasaian
16-Nov-2013, 09:36
One that is in excellent working condition, of course!

Neal Chaves
16-Nov-2013, 09:44
I have used the 4X5 Crown Graphic and Toyo view cameras for some time. All my lenses are on Graphic boards except for one big one that has to go on a Toyo View lens board. I have Toyo Graphic adapter boards for the view cameras. The adapter board has a larger throat and lenses that will not mount on the Crown can be used, like the 120mm SW Nikkor.

My 4X5 view camera is a Toyo 45G. These can be purchased for a fraction of the new cost. Most will need a new bellows, so buy a camera with a known bad bellows and replace it. The replacement bellows from China are excellent quality. You should be able to assemble a very nice 45G for less than $300.

Alan Gales
16-Nov-2013, 10:48
For $600.00 you can probably find a Sinar F2 or Norma. Additional Sinar gear is really easy to find in the U.S. plus you have the option of later buying a Sinar shutter if you wish.

Of course there is nothing wrong with Cambo/Calumets and Toyo's. The money you save can be put towards another lens or film.

I have owned Cambo and Calumet. I own a Sinar P and bought an F for parts. I prefer shooting Sinar. If you can get the chance to play with some of these cameras it would really help you make a decision!

Jim Jones
16-Nov-2013, 11:07
Johnny: Among the view cameras that I've owned and used, the favorites in order are the Graphic View Camera II, The Kodak Master View and the nearly identical Calumet monorail, Burke & James monorail, the original Graphic View Camera, Anba Ikeda field camera, Burke & James flatbed, and a distant last, New Vue. The Anba Ikeda is treasured for its light weight, compactness, and beauty. The original Graphic View has baseboard tilts rather than center tilts, although one can soon adapt to this. With careful shopping you should be able to assemble a kit with any of the above monorail cameras, case, one or more lenses, a few film holders, and the other accessories for $500. The Anba Ikeda and the similar Tachihara cost more. Condition and price are more important to many of us than brand or appearance.

mdarnton
16-Nov-2013, 11:19
Adding to my post: neither the Calumet nor the Cambo folds up. I packed the Cambo by taking everything off the rail, then you end up with something more compact.

But my fantasy was always to get some sort of wooden field camera, Deardorff style, with a long bellows. There are quite a few original wood cameras in that same vein, for intance, I have a 5x7 B&J (with an extension track for 3X bellows) that folds up really nicely, and there was a 4x5 version of that--like this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/View-Camera-4X5-B-J-Fully-Articulating-with-one-lens-/231091802895?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item35ce25130f. But that wouldn't be my first choice--it's a bit clunky to use.

The queen of that style is the Ansco view, the one with the tilting front, but I don't know if it came in 4x5. To me, this one is gorgeous: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ansco-5x7-4x5-Old-View-Camera-w-Xenar-30cm-Reconditioned-and-Flash-Sync-Fitted-/231084435486?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item35cdb4a81e The first view camera I ever handled was the 8x10 version of this.

Dan Fromm
16-Nov-2013, 11:48
Johnny, the Calumet CC-401 is a rugged and capable camera. Much the same as the 4x5 Kodak Master View. Not particularly friendly to short lenses and it has a fixed bellows. I've had one, sold it. 4" square lens board, may be a little small. Recessed boards are available, may be a little small. Spring back only (bail type), not a handicap unless you want to shoot roll film with it. For a catalog, see http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/calumet_1.html

I have a couple of Cambos (2x3, 4x5). Capable, heavy. I haven't damaged mine so can't address ruggedness. 6 3/8" x 6 3/8" boards (4x5), recessed boards are available. Removable bellows, bag bellows are available. Spring (bail type) and graflok backs. 4x5 not too hard to use with short lenses, 2x3 another story. Catalog here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/cambo_1.html If used with a rail no longer than the container (briefcase, back pack) the way to make a Cambo relatively compact is to detach the bellows and rotate the standards 90 degrees so that they and the rail are in the same plane.

Sinars are very available, well regarded, well supported.

I don't agree with JAC about the Linhof Color, but perhaps our experiences with them have been different. It is a Techika on a rail, very well made and robust and heavy. Especially heavy. When I was thinking about going 2x3 I played with a 2x3 Color. It frightened me badly, very heavy and the lens axis seemed very far above the tripod platform.

Jim Jones' advice is good but he left one thing out. It often happens that the first view camera purchased serves most of all to teach the buyer which view camera features it does and doesn't like/need. Get a monorail in good order and be prepared to replace it.

Bill_1856
16-Nov-2013, 12:38
Get a Graphic View II and the adapter to use lens boards from your Crown Graphic. I've used one for over 60 years, and the only drawback I can find is that it's a heavy beast (but no worse than other rail view cameras).

jnantz
16-Nov-2013, 13:21
hi bill

i agree the graphic view II is a great camera ... it is not too heavy and very compact inverted and portable in the grayish green fiber box they often came in
the only problem i had with mine was tight bellows when using a recessed board and 90mm lens ..if they made interchangeable + wide angle ( bag ) bellows
i would have never gotten another camera ...

Jac@stafford.net
16-Nov-2013, 13:29
[...]
I don't agree with JAC about the Linhof Color, but perhaps our experiences with them have been different. It is a Techika on a rail, very well made and robust and heavy. Especially heavy.

Looking now at 70 years-old I humbly admit to being camera weight sensitive. Oi! I could schlepp a 35 pound camera, but that was then.

As a separate thread perhaps you could advise the rest of us of the virtues of a 2x3* view camera.

BTW - my name is Jac, short for both Jacques and Jacqueline, my deceased sister.

joselsgil
16-Nov-2013, 13:55
Johnny,

If you are looking for a light weight easy to carry and set up in the field, you may need to look at some of the wood field cameras. I have a Zone VI 4x5 field camera that is easy to carry and nice to work with in the field. The Zone VI has interchangeable bellows to allow the use of wide angle lenses. I also have an older Korona 4x5. The Korona is very light, but you do need to carry an extension rail with you, should you want to do some close up work.

The Calumet CC400 series, Graphic View II, and the Sinar Alpina (also sold as a Zone VI monorail), are very nice cameras (I have one of each), but they do not fold down as compact as a dedicated field camera. They are great for closeup work or architectural photography. It all comes down to what you plan on using the camera for. I purchased these cameras used and payed from $100 to $400, some with lenses and accessories some without.

john borrelli
16-Nov-2013, 14:02
I have not used a Zone VI but I have used a Wisner. One of the Zone VI models was made by Wisner apparently but there are other versions. At any rate, I have been seeing prices on the Zone Vi cameras coming down, so that $800.00 with a modern lens is a possibility.

Dan Fromm
16-Nov-2013, 14:06
As a separate thread perhaps you could advise the rest of us of the virtues of a 2x3* view camera.

Not here. By local convention, 2x3 isn't large format. This is a large format, not a view camera, forum.

I wouldn't recommend 2x3 to most here. 2x3 view cameras and accessories, the occasional lucky accident excepted, are more expensive and harder to find than equivalent 4x5ers. I like 2x3 and am happy with my little 2x3 Cambos (2 of 'em, one a gift, the other a really lucky find) and my 2x3 Graphics but doubt that 2x3ers make good sense for many. It is true that a 2x3 Cambo weighs less than a similarly rigged 4x5, but neither is light. 2x3 isn't 4x5, not by a long shot, and, to get closer to this thread's topic, Graphics aren't view cameras.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Nov-2013, 14:37
Not here. By local convention, 2x3 isn't large format. This is a large format, not a view camera, forum.

I wouldn't recommend 2x3 to most here. 2x3 view cameras and accessories, the occasional lucky accident excepted, are more expensive and harder to find than equivalent 4x5ers. I like 2x3 and am happy with my little 2x3 Cambos (2 of 'em, one a gift, the other a really lucky find) and my 2x3 Graphics but doubt that 2x3ers make good sense for many. It is true that a 2x3 Cambo weighs less than a similarly rigged 4x5, but neither is light. 2x3 isn't 4x5, not by a long shot, and, to get closer to this thread's topic, Graphics aren't view cameras.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Nov-2013, 14:45

Of course that limitation is totally incorrect.

Dan Fromm
16-Nov-2013, 15:41
Of course that limitation is totally incorrect.I won't fight about it. We've had enough silly wars about what is and isn't LF, don't need more. An arbitrary convention, perhaps, but not that wrong and most of us seem to be able to live with it.

Bill_1856
16-Nov-2013, 15:41
hi bill

i agree the graphic view II is a great camera ... it is not too heavy and very compact inverted and portable in the grayish green fiber box they often came in
the only problem i had with mine was tight bellows when using a recessed board and 90mm lens ..if they made interchangeable + wide angle ( bag ) bellows
i would have never gotten another camera ...
The shortest lens that I've ever used on 4x5 is a 90mm wide angle. Had no problem using the recessed board.

Paul Ewins
16-Nov-2013, 16:20
I would avoid the Graphic Views and early Calumets (CC-40x series) and get a modular camera. The Cambo SC (also sold under various Calumet names) that you nominated is perfectly fine, as would be a Toyo, Horseman, or Sinar F (a Sinar P would probably stretch your budget). Each of them can be upgraded to larger formats and the regular bellows can be replaced with bag bellows for wide angle or you can add an extra standard and bellows for long lenses or macro. I've had a Cambo system with 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 options which was great, but changed to Sinar so that I could use a Sinar shutter with old barrel mounted lenses. The cost of accessories (bellows, lens boards etc) are fairly similar across the brands when purchased second hand.

Alan Gales
16-Nov-2013, 16:33
Here in the U.S. you can pick up a Sinar F for $300.00, an F1 for a little more and a F2 for $600 to $700. I paid $600 for my P and it came with a Schneider 210mm f/5.6 lens.

Sinar P's are all geared and a joy to work with but heavy. The OP wants to take it on location and I don't know if weight is an issue.

djdister
16-Nov-2013, 16:36
The shortest lens that I've ever used on 4x5 is a 90mm wide angle. Had no problem using the recessed board.

I've used a 65mm lens on a Horseman 45FA. With a little bit of front rise I can avoid seeing the camera's guide rails (horizontal shots), or if that doesn't work I can just crop a bit from the bottom part of the frame (yikes, what heresy!).

Teodor Oprean
16-Nov-2013, 20:59
I would recommend a Linhof Kardan Color 45S. It fits comfortably inside your price range. Very rigid, very durable, well built, reasonable weight. Later on you can can get recessed lens boards and a bag bellows for architectural photography.

Jonathan Barlow
17-Nov-2013, 14:27
Excellent cameras in that price range:

A Sinar F2 4x5 sells for $400-500 in clean condition in the US

A Sinar P 4x5 sells for $500-600 in clean condition in the US

A Zone VI 4x5 sells for $500-600 in clean condition in the US

AuditorOne
17-Nov-2013, 17:27
I use my Cambo 4x5 SC everywhere and pack it around like it is a field camera. Heck, I have even set it up on a tripod in the middle of a mountain stream with not much more problem than setting up my Fuji G690BL. I bought it 4 years ago as a beginner large format camera. It has taught me a lot and it is still teaching me. Maybe in another 10 or 20 years I'll be ready to move up.

I think that the main point is that it has been a very tough camera for me and I paid $150 for it in the beginning, with a 150mm Schneider. In the past I have disassembled it and packed it all over in a relatively small backpack when needed. I also went out and built a wooden case w/2 bicycle wheels and a handle so I can carry more film holders if I want.

ShannonG
19-Nov-2013, 19:19
I like my 5X7 field cameras,but i use my Cambo SC 4X5 more than anything,like the previous post it does fold up and packs just fine. I have broken the rear Yoke, (the cast iron bracket that holds the posts) but it was easily replaced by Calumet.Theres lots of parts available. The movements are smooth (enough any way).Ive had mine for about 17 years,ive had to tape holes in the bellows.But its a battle worthy unit and besides they are all just light tight boxes with movements any way...Its really all about the lenses you use.

Jim Andrada
22-Nov-2013, 08:29
I have a Calumet Cadet that I got from a member here for, as I recall, around $100. It really is sort of the bottom of the line, but, surprise, surprise, I quite like it! Extremely light, very basic, almost (but not quite!) flimsy. Takes great pictures, weighs nothing, has enough movements for most non critical uses. And if it gets run over by a truck or dropped off a cliff, no big deal. No idea what the bellows is made of and the bellows(es) aren't interchangeable so you either get a standard bellows camera or a bag bellows camera.

Next step up might be the Kardan Color 45S. Not much more expensive and a really fine camera, packs down small enough to go in a large Post Office priority box.

I have an Agfa Ansxo 5 x 7 - love it but for a wooden camera it's heavy and bulkier than most because the track and standard bases are all metal, but it's a joy to use once you've got it on the tripod. Someone had one for sale with a 4 x 5 reducing back here on the forum last time I looked.

mdarnton
22-Nov-2013, 09:57
Cambo Cadet! I had never heard of that one. What a lovely camera. That's just what I was looking for when I bought my SC!

Richard Hofacker
5-Dec-2013, 17:49
Over the past 55 years I've used several 4x5 view cameras, including the Graphic View and the Kodak Master View, but yhe sweetest model is the Plaubel Junior 4x5, which came out in 1960. It's a flat monorail with rack-and-pinon drive, full movements on the front standard and tilt and swivel on the back, interchangeable bellows (with wide-angle bag), folds flat without disassembling it (less than 2" thick), and weighs only 5-1/2 lbs. without lens. It's ruggedly constructed and fits into an attache case or flat camera case. But watch out for the camera's film back -- Plaubel had many different types, so look for the Graflok 4x5 back. Don't count on ordering a new back because they don't have them at Plaubel anymore. I don't know what the Plaubel Junior 4x5 sells for today, but in 1967 I paid Plaubel only $250 plus shipping for the camera less lens, including wide-angle bellows, compendium, five flat lens boards, and a recessed board.

Curt
6-Dec-2013, 02:08
If you're looking for a monorail, it's tough to beat the value of a Calumet 4x5.
There is one for sale here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?108316-FS-Long-rail-Calumet-4x5-camera-w-lensboard(s)-darkcloth-case-compendium-hood

They are tough, cheap, and have all the movements you need.

I was getting ready to put fingers to keyboard when I saw that Ari beat me to the punch!

+1

ImSoNegative
6-Dec-2013, 05:56
A +2 on the calumet 4x5 if you are looking for a monorail, if you are looking for a field camera type, an old burke and james will do the trick, a bit quirky, and they seem to have a mind of there own but once you get used to them they are great, and have more movements than most much more expensive field cameras