PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Delete uploaded Images?

Drew Bedo
15-Nov-2013, 07:43
Hi,

I am trying to limit and narrow the online exopsure of my images. I would like to unload or delete most of the images that I have uploaded to this site (about 44 I tink). I am visually impaired and some pages are difficult for me.

I have gone to Miscilainous and attachments and deleted items there, but when I att5empt to upload a new image, thee seems to still be 3pages of thumbnailos on file here.

What do I need to do?

jnantz
15-Nov-2013, 09:47
drew,

did you post them as attachments ?
if so ..
go to settings >> attachments
find the attachment manager and you can delete them all from the threads

john

Drew Bedo
15-Nov-2013, 15:26
Still not what I need to know.

Can an administrator help with this please?

DB

StoneNYC
15-Nov-2013, 15:31

DB

I think to a certain extent, posts that you make in general become permanent on here, and any attachments that you might have attached that are not linked outside of the website are permanent, I'm sure I guess if you ask an administrator they might be able to take the time to go through and delete them one by one, but it would be a tedious task. I guess as the old saying to a new model goes "if you don't want a picture out there don't pose for it", or in this case don't post it.

I really wouldn't worry about post on here anyway, the only people that can see them are members of the group, as far as I understand it Google can't see the image. And I'm sure you didn't upload large files and only uploaded small ones at least I would assume that that was the case, I know I'm very careful about only uploading small versions of images.

Light Guru
15-Nov-2013, 15:51
And you still have not provided the information others need to help.

jnanian asked a perfectly good question.

did you post them as attachments ?

To help you know how to remove them we need to know how they were posted in the first place.

Were files directly uploaded from your computer?
Were they linked from a URL?
if they were linked from a URL was the box checked that said "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"

jnantz
15-Nov-2013, 16:08

DB

drew

if they are in the uploads manager, they can't be removed unless the posts you made with them
embedded are removed as well ... as i PM'd you ...i contacted the moderator staff about this same question
a few weeks ago ... and i think that is the gist of what i was told
if they are hot linked through your own server, just remove/change the name in your server and it will appear as a dead link.

john

Tom Westbrook
15-Nov-2013, 16:14
Drew, the only file upload I can find for your user ID is your own profile picture. If you didn't post the images you're talking about, then you should be able to delete them from the upload manager or they will be auto-deleted in a couple of days. If you think you did upload some image files, post a few links to the posts they are attached to and I'll look further.

ROL
16-Nov-2013, 10:12
OK Drew, I'm not an administrator, so this is not for you.

This seems to be a good time to remind everyone of the issue of uploading attachments to forums as opposed to providing linked references to files on other servers (i.e., your personal website, Flickr, whatever). You retain control of your images using the latter method, and deleting that nude selfie of you and your beloved Deardorff, is as simple as moving or deleting the file on your server, no administrator involved.

Drew Bedo
19-Nov-2013, 09:07
OK Drew, I'm not an administrator, so this is not for you.

This seems to be a good time to remind everyone of the issue of uploading attachments to forums as opposed to providing linked references to files on other servers (i.e., your personal website, Flickr, whatever). You retain control of your images using the latter method, and deleting that nude selfie of you and your beloved Deardorff, is as simple as moving or deleting the file on your server, no administrator involved.

ROL: Thanks for the reminder. I have come to understand this issue more fully in the past 18 months or so. I am now trying to narrow the number of websites that my images may be sourced from. So far, this effort has been partially successful. I understnd that 100% is not possible.

I would like to think that LFP would be photographer-friendly in this respect. I do not buy the software glitch reasoniong given in another reply. If I cannot remove my images from this website, I will no longer post images here.

Tom Westbrook
19-Nov-2013, 09:57
Drew I didn't get an answer to this question from my previous post.
The only file upload I can find for your user ID is your own profile picture. If you didn't post the images you're talking about, then you should be able to delete them from the upload manager or they will be auto-deleted in a couple of days. If you think you did upload some image files, reply with a few links to the posts the images are attached to and I'll look further.

Tom Westbrook
19-Nov-2013, 11:12
One thing that someone mentioned to me: If the images you're talking about are the thumbnails in the Upload Manager, then those images aren't accessible to anyone except your account, including the moderators. There is a software bug that is preventing the auto-cleanup scheduled script from cleaning up unused thumbnails after an hour. The bug hasn't been fixed yet, so we'll have to wait until it is to clean up the unused thumbnails.

Drew Bedo
19-Nov-2013, 14:43
Thanks Tom:

What I am trying to minimize is the "orphan image" issue where un used and unattached images transition into the public domain if left out there. I know I can't eliminate the propblem, but I'm trying to minimize it.

Please keep me (us) posted on how/when this software fault is fixed.

Regards,

Drew Bedo

StoneNYC
19-Nov-2013, 15:29
Are you truly that concerned though? I mean, have you gone through some kind of issue where you discovered your images being used somewhere?

jnantz
19-Nov-2013, 17:56
thanks tom !

StoneNYC
19-Nov-2013, 18:16
thanks tom !

i have ... and its no fun

:(

Where they making money off of it? This is why I don't upload anything larger than 900 on the long edge, actually often it's even smaller. He only place I ever upload anything anywhere remotely bigger than that it's here, but it's often not with important images. Also certainly they are all watermarked...

jnantz
19-Nov-2013, 19:21
stone

i only upload small res files, nothing large .. ( way smaller than yours ! )
and yes, i know if someone wants to steal work it isn't hard ...
(i have watermarked my work off and on, i find it to be useless ...they're obtrusive and it isn't hard to remove watermarks ... )

the orphaned image situation makes it easier for someone claims the work as their own for use ...

my situation was a little different, which i won't go into here ...
to answer your question, yes, they made money off of them, and they
published them, lied their #@&# off / covered their tracks well,
and left me holding the bag ...

im not as pissed as i was then, but its better to be safe than sorry ...

StoneNYC
19-Nov-2013, 19:55
stone

i only upload small res files, nothing large .. ( way smaller than yours ! )
and yes, i know if someone wants to steal work it isn't hard ...
(i have watermarked my work off and on, i find it to be useless ...they're obtrusive and it isn't hard to remove watermarks ... )

the orphaned image situation makes it easier for someone claims the work as their own for use ...

my situation was a little different, which i won't go into here ...
to answer your question, yes, they made money off of them, and they
published them, lied their #@&# off / covered their tracks well,
and left me holding the bag ...

im not as pissed as i was then, but its better to be safe than sorry ...

Why you got a hold on your negs man ;)

Sorry though, that sucks.

Drew Bedo
20-Nov-2013, 15:26
Are you truly that concerned though? I mean, have you gone through some kind of issue where you discovered your images being used somewhere?

StoneNYC: I am not sure I understand why it it should matter much if there has already been some problem.

I am merely narrowing the exposure of my images. I know that I cannot have absolute control ocver everything that has already been posted.

StoneNYC
20-Nov-2013, 16:08
StoneNYC: I am not sure I understand why it it should matter much if there has already been some problem.

I am merely narrowing the exposure of my images. I know that I cannot have absolute control ocver everything that has already been posted.

I guess I was only asking because you seem overly concerned. However at the time I was also thinking that this was a membership site and that you couldn't see the images if you weren't a member however I just realized that that's not true so I guess I can see some concern from Google searches. In my experience though having some exposure was actually a good thing it has gotten me a bunch of jobs and commissions from work that people saw on the Internet that had never heard of me before. Though I'm less concerned about stock work that I am about physical print so your situation may be different.

I do wish you the best of course.

Drew Bedo
21-Nov-2013, 07:20
StoneNYC:

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I'm right with you.

I do have images on my professional website, quietlightphoto.com and on a marketing website, artsyhome.com. soon I will be changing the images there to be lower resolution and with a waqtermark.

I have removed my images from several other websites such as artslant Pixtus, Flicker and photo.net. My goal is to reload only images that I wouldn't mind having "out there" . . .not very many.

y concern is that I will have a large number of images on many sites some of wich later fold leaving some of my really good things as "orphaned" and in the public domain. Don't want something I could sell turning up on a royalty-free archive.

smithdoor
21-Nov-2013, 07:56
Drew I also change to GIF Image and lower the colors This also save on web space. I did this for my web sit 20 years ago to save on space and down loading time. ( https://web.archive.org/web/20020605140621/http://www.smithdoor.com/ )

Dave