PDA

View Full Version : Chemicals preparation

Raffay
15-Nov-2013, 03:41
Hello,

Today I got my kodak D76 developer and fixer from Canada. We don't get anything here so I want to prepare them very carefully. Instructions are pretty clear on the packets. It says to make 3.8 litres but that will consume the whole packet and then it's difficult to find 3.8 litre bottles that too air tight, and if not the stock will only last for two months. I want to know if there is a way to use less powder and make less stock so that it could last a longer time.

Cheers

Raffay

AtlantaTerry
15-Nov-2013, 04:49
I want to know if there is a way to use less powder and make less stock so that it could last a longer time.
Raffay

What is in the packet is randomly distributed. So if you take out a small portion to mix you might have inconsistent results.

Look for small brown glass bottles to store the mixed stock developer. Many people like to recycle beer bottles.

In the future you might want to use a different developer such as HC-110. It is a thick syrup that you can draw out with a medicine dispenser or hypodermic syringe then add to your water.

brucep
15-Nov-2013, 07:32
If I know that I won't be using 3.8l in the next couple of months, then I buy the 1 litre packs. It works out a little dearer, but overall it is still a cheap developer.

Bruce

Terry Christian
15-Nov-2013, 07:49
If stored well in bottles with good caps, D-76 should last six months at least.

jp
15-Nov-2013, 07:51
Mix it in a bucket and then dispense it into 4 1L bottles. A full soda/pop bottle of dektol will last 6 months no problem if you don't open it.
Open one at a time as needed to make working solution.

Larry Gebhardt
15-Nov-2013, 08:28
Mix the whole package at once. Then store in small glass bottles filled to the top. You will probably get more than 6 months out of it this way.

If you wish to make up smaller batches next time, it might be best to mix up D76 from the stock chemicals. The recipe is posted in many places.

C_Remington
15-Nov-2013, 09:01
You also might want adjust your workflow so that you let your exposed negatives accumulate and process a large batch at once - enough to exhaust the developer.

Leigh
15-Nov-2013, 11:45
I want to know if there is a way to use less powder and make less stock so that it could last a longer time.
Hi Raffay,

Short answer... No.

Long answer... No No No.

There is no way to divide a powder that will divide each of its ingredients evenly. Not possible.

The only thing that might work is to dissolve the entire package in the smallest possible amount of water, then put that liquid into several small containers. Seal each of them and store in a dark location.

When mixing, stir slowly so you don't introduce air into the liquid.

This will really not give you a precisely accurate division of the constituents, but it will be pretty close.

- Leigh

Jac@stafford.net
15-Nov-2013, 17:30
If I may add one tip that is contentious. Once mixed, D76 should be left to incorporate for about eight hours, and then stirred gently again before separating it into several containers.

In my and my colleagues' experience, freshly mixed D76, even after cooling, is hyper active. This I is not proven but it has happened to enough of us to consider.

Let it stand for at least 8 hours. (This does not apply to D76 repleshment but most of us do not do that.