PDA

View Full Version : DIY case for Sinar 4x5

Geraldine Powell
13-Nov-2013, 16:21
We are going to be moving in the not distant future. I will bring my Sinar P in my car and wonder what kind of DIY case I can make for it. It only needs to protect it while driving. I hate the idea of taking it off the rail, so would like to figure out something.
Has anyone any ideas?
Geraldine

Tin Can
13-Nov-2013, 16:50
Many have made their own hanging upside down case for these. Get a case big enough and cut 2 pieces of plywood to fit the case inside and notch the plywood for the rails. Pad it everywhere with new indoor/outdoor carpeting. Get carpet tape at home depot and a cheap rug, not a wool or shedding reg.

You can even make the case at Home Depot. Draw it up and have them make all the cuts. Glue it up like making a model.

Simple and cheap.

Or look at all the boxes and stuff in the tool section.

Make it real ugly so nobody knows what it is.

Stealth while traveling is best.

Geraldine Powell
13-Nov-2013, 17:09
Thank -you.
Geraldine

Ken Lee
13-Nov-2013, 17:17
If you need to protect it in a car that you will be driving, then a cardboard box or plastic storage container will do, filled with miscellaneous clothing, towels, etc. for padding. If others will be tossing the box around, then you should probably take the back off (the part which holds the ground glass) and carry that yourself.

The camera is less likely to break if all the locks are loose instead of tight.

I carry mine in a canvas bag just to keep dust off and have a handle for it. See Carry Your Gear on a Budget (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#Gear).

EdSawyer
14-Nov-2013, 09:13
Calumet makes a nice case that serves this need. I have one I was going to list asap. It's identical to this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calumet-Monorail-4x5-Camera-Case-Black-LWH-23-75-x-10-x-14-/370914659769

I can part with it for $40 + shipping. Mine is in similar shape (better externally than the one shown), I can post/send pics if any interest.

-Ed

EdSawyer
15-Nov-2013, 23:50
Hi Geraldine,

Your in box is full...

Thanks
Ed