PDA

View Full Version : Older Deardorff Camera

Takizawa
13-Nov-2013, 13:38
Ahhh, the auction sites. Sometimes they do lead to the occasional impulse purchase. What do you think? and any advice for when this comes? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NFS-8X10-Deardorff-body-with-lens-board-and-case-/181256681129?nma=true&si=0E54Qy7os1L1rRHcTSM7%252Bqv49H4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

DrTang
13-Nov-2013, 14:03
odd

I mean great buy (shakes fist at you), but seller was not a clueless relative of a photographer who inherited
it or something..so you'd think he would have tried for 400 or so more

good spot anyway

advice: look for a 12 or 14 inch commercial ektar being sold by a relative who inherited it

fecaleagle
13-Nov-2013, 14:06
odd

I mean great buy (shakes fist at you), but seller was not a clueless relative of a photographer who inherited
it or something..so you'd think he would have tried for 400 or so more.

I believe he did have it listed once before with a higher reserve, but it didn't go, so it was relisted lower. Could be wrong, but I seem to recall hovering over the bid button last month for the same item.

Takizawa
13-Nov-2013, 14:34
I did see that and contacted the seller on the same. The previous auction did drive to a close but the seller had a nonpayer.

brucetaylor
13-Nov-2013, 14:55
Looks like you got a great buy. I'll bet it works fine and it even came with a case! A lens and some holders and you're ready to rock.

Luis-F-S
13-Nov-2013, 14:56
Typically, a camera of that vintage is going to need a new bellows (figure $450) and new racks and shoes (figure $350), plus the labor to install it. So it will likely run another $1,000 over the auction price to get a good useable camera. That's pretty much what I'm having done to one I bought locally which appeared to be in better shape than the one on Ebay.

John Kasaian
13-Nov-2013, 15:28
If the bellows are good and the bottom doesn't have splits you got a very good deal.
Pinholes in the bellows can be patched (Equinox Photo has some great stuff for that--and not expensive at all)
If it requires new bellows, that's going to cost as others have mentioned.
If the bottom is splitting you can get an aluminum plate like the later cameras used and install it, and any incorrect/missing hardware should be easily found. Ken Hough likely has the right stuff and can talk you through the installation.
A NFS V8 'dorff for $500 smackers? That's a heck of deal!

Takizawa
13-Nov-2013, 16:05
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll write further about the condition of the camera once it arrives. Two things that reassure me are: 1. The seller seems knowledgable about LF photography. 2. The fact that the camera comes in a case. It makes me believe the camera was looked after. You never know with 'the auction site'... but so far signs look good.

Jonathan Barlow
13-Nov-2013, 17:27
I considered bidding on that camera this afternoon. Had I bid, I would've sniped at $750. :)

You got a good buy for an earlier Deardorff.

BarryS
13-Nov-2013, 18:49
Definitely the deal of the day--you did good. I'd be inclined to replace the oddball hardware with original V8 hardware. It's available on eBay and you don't have that much to replace, so the cost should be minimal. You should also get some lubriplate grease for the rack and pinion and a bit of paraffin to wax the wood-to-wood surfaces. Other than that, clean it up and patch any bellows pinholes and you're good to go.

dsphotog
13-Nov-2013, 19:32
I actually did bid on this, but not enough. It's the wife's day off, so I was out with her at the end of the auction. Otherwise I would've tried for it...
I had to sell my DD earlier this year to pay some bills, would have liked to find a replacement.
Glad it went to a forum member... Enjoy!

Jonathan Barlow
13-Nov-2013, 19:45
Definitely the deal of the day--you did good. I'd be inclined to replace the oddball hardware with original V8 hardware. It's available on eBay and you don't have that much to replace, so the cost should be minimal. You should also get some lubriplate grease for the rack and pinion and a bit of paraffin to wax the wood-to-wood surfaces. Other than that, clean it up and patch any bellows pinholes and you're good to go.

The only non-original hardware on that camera is the wingnuts instead of knobs on the front standard.