PDA

View Full Version : Epson R2400 paper fead problems

photojon
13-Nov-2013, 07:10
I hope someone can stop me throwing this printer in the bin.
I have an Epson R2400 printer which has been printing beautifully in the past, I had some blocked inkjets which took a while to clear. When I sorted this out I was then presented with a paper feed problem.
When you send a photo to print, it takes it in normally but then stops and sets the red paper light on indicating a paper jam.
I have cleaned everything in sight, all sensors, the ink pads have been removed and pipes fed out of the side. Counters set to zero.
The weird thing is, if I send a text document to it, IT Works.#?,{+
This is doing my head in, can anyone help my sanity ????

Thanks

Jon

Doug Fisher
13-Nov-2013, 08:20
Are you using the same type of paper for both the text test print and the photo test print? My guess is no. If two different paper types were used then you need figure out what is different about the papers and why the printer doesn't like surface of the photo paper. Search the archives here and on the net. There are lots of discussions about this. If you are having problem with a matte type photo paper, I would investigate the condition of your rubber rollers. You can buy rubber rejuvenator (my local Fry's carried it, at least a few years ago they did) if they are dried out and no longer gripping well.

If you post specific and detailed information, you will be more likely to get targeted suggestions for help.

Doug

Ken Lee
13-Nov-2013, 08:43
This happens to me all the time with my R2400. My guess is that some internal parts are worn out which cost more to repair than the price of a new printer. I use it as infrequently as possible. I purchased a 3880 which (so far) has no such problems.

photojon
14-Nov-2013, 12:18
Hi Doug and Ken

Thank you for your replies on my nightmare.
Doug, you are spot on, When I print a text doc I use standard copy paper, when I am printing photos, I use the same 270 gsm paper (photospeed PF Lustre) that I have always used. But you have triggered something in my memory, I did encounter a problem when I picked up some Canson Arches Aquarelle rag 240 GSM. The printer clearly did not like this paper and issues have been apparent since then.
Ken,
I've got worn out bits inside me, but I've got to make them last,
I'm trying to get a little more time out of this old printer, really could do without spending money on a new print just now.

Thanks for your help guys

Jonathan

Ken Lee
14-Nov-2013, 15:50
Do you have the latest drivers installed ?

Tyler Boley
17-Nov-2013, 21:03
this could be a communication error related problem, and will surface with more data being sent, for example an image instead of plain text. First make sure the paper feed rollers have been cleaned off, if it's having trouble grabbing the paper it may sense a problem effecting following through with the print. But as I was presented with trying to help a friend with the same problem, apparently common with the 2400, it was finally eliminated by going to a good, short, robust and sheilded USB cable, and making sure that was going right into the computer, rather than a keyboard usb connection or a hub.
Tyler