PDA

View Full Version : Pros And Cons Of Linhof Super Technika 1V

Johnny Reno
12-Nov-2013, 08:52
I have been using a Crown Graphic. I had a Technika of some number long long ago. I am thinking about a Tech IV. I hate the limitations of the Crown. I do primarily pictorial and architectural. Lenses would range from 90 and longer. The main lens will be a 135mm. I need to have a cam for 135mm. Who does repairs if I need them for the cam? Tell me what to look for and what to avoid. I have a budget but it is not huge. I want the best model for the money. I have been using 4 x 5 off and on for 40 years but it has been mostly view cameras in the studio. Thanks

Bob Salomon
12-Nov-2013, 09:22
Precision Photo in Niles IL does Linhof camming
Nippon Poyo in Mnhattan doe the rest of the repairs.

Darin Boville
12-Nov-2013, 09:27
Have you used a Technika yet? It is much, much heavier than the Crown Graphic. Much nicer in many ways but the weight difference is dramatic.

--Darin

karl french
12-Nov-2013, 09:33
If you're going to use a 90mm lens frequently the front rise set up introduced with the Technika V is easier to use. Plus you get the standardized film plane/ground glass with the Tech V.
After many Technikas (IV, V and a few Masters) I've come to the conclusion that the Tech V represents the most bang for the buck.

Vick Ko
12-Nov-2013, 09:48
Used to be Marflex that does camming,

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?98043-Marflex-retired-Nippon-Photoclinic-Linhof-Wista-USA-service-center

Vick Ko
12-Nov-2013, 09:49
Tech IV would be fine, but I went to the Tech V, for the lever rise (vs knob) and hoping there are internal mechanical and design improvements beyond the IV.

I had a Master, but it was too much of a collector piece to keep.

Len Middleton
12-Nov-2013, 10:31
I too had a IV and found it doable, but a problem for architectural with my 75mm. Even on a recessed board, it was too far into the camera body to perform a rise without racking it out to do the rise, then racking it back in.

Short term solution was a Kardan monorail with a Technika adapter board, for when needed. Long term was the V I still have.

Not certain what the current difference is in cost between the two at this time, but certainly might want to consider reaching a little deeper into your pocket...

Jac@stafford.net
12-Nov-2013, 10:45
Just another disadvantage to a IV. The lens and camera have to be sent in to have a cam cut. The V requires only a cam to match the lens.

The OP mentioned a 135mm lens. The commonly camed 135mm lens is the horribly expensive Planar, and it has only modest coverage, limited movements. Be careful buying one. I have seen them with the wrong board so the camera doesn't close, and with the wrong shutter (such as one from the arsenal boys on the 'bay right now - item 370920072310 )

Johnny Reno
12-Nov-2013, 13:27
Tell me more about the V and the cam. Is the cam matched to the lens or can you use any 135mm lens with a pre manufactured cam? The only lens I would need to have a cam would be the 135mm. I had a 135mm planar and it was nice but not worth the price to me and the circle is small. I would probably get a Rodenstock Sironar-S. I don't have the lens yet.

Thomas Greutmann
12-Nov-2013, 13:52
About camming a Tech IV: in theory the cam needs to be matched exactly to the camera and the lens. In real life however, there is a good chance that a generic cam for a 135mm will just work fine. I have cammed my Tech IV for 6 different lenses from 90mm to 360mm with cams off that auction site and it works just fine.

As other posters have pointed out, the Tech IV has some weaknesses with short lenses. I find it difficult to operate the front rise with a 90mm lens, the struts just get in the way, and you have to rack out the lens, turn the knob to rise the lens, rack the lens back and so on. Longer lenses are no problem. But for shorter lenses the lever-operated Tech V or - even better - a Master Technika are a much better fit.

Greetings, Thomas

Jac@stafford.net
12-Nov-2013, 13:55
I do not know of any non-Linhof lenses that use Linhof compatible cams. Now I would like to know, too. Perhaps a wiser member could help us.

Jac@stafford.net
12-Nov-2013, 16:03
About camming a Tech IV: in theory the cam needs to be matched exactly to the camera and the lens. In real life however, there is a good chance that a generic cam for a 135mm will just work fine.

Given the different coupling patterns of the Linhof cams from IV to V, I cannot grasp what a generic cam could be.

Perhaps this thread could inspire the curious to consider the differences of lens mounts of 135mm lenses. I am not so curious, but simply happy that mine is dead-on.

Bill_1856
12-Nov-2013, 18:36
I'd think twice about "investing" n a Technika when you already have a Crown.
A new bellows for a Technika will run you about $400 -- my Tech IV has had three of them in 50 years. My Crown Graphic bellows is still going strong.
The Crown is so much lighter and easier to use that I only use the Tech occasionally because I feel so guilty about leaving it on the shelf.
You can find cams for the Top Rangefinder Crown, or cut them yourself.

Neal Chaves
12-Nov-2013, 19:41
I started with a Kalart Crown, then bought a Technika IV outfit and eventually a Master Technika and a Kardan Super Color view camera. I had a variety of new and old lenses, cut my own cams from blanks and reconfigured old IV cams to match the Master. I even had a 58mm lens cam-coupled to the Master in a deeply recessed board that I modified. HP Marketing said it couldn't be done. I finally disposed of all Linhof and went back to TRF Crown and a Toyo 45G monorail view that used the same Graphic lens boards with an adapter. Later I added an 8X10 Toyo field camera. I never regreted leaving the Linhof system and my photography improved when I did. The final impetus came when I started doing aerial work with the 4X5 Master Technika and shooting with large stops. I noticed that the negatives were not uniformly sharp at infinty. A further investigation revealed that the camera had an unrepairable defect in workmanship from the factory which put the front standard out of alignment and by that time it was long out of warranty. It sure did attract a lot of attention and admiration from other photographers when I had it though.