PDA

View Full Version : Eastman No. 1 Projection Printer (enlarger) - Value? How to sell or donate?

CJC-Wis
11-Nov-2013, 17:01
I have an Eastman No. 1 Projection Printer (enlarger) from the 1920's or 30's. I would like to know if it has any value and how best to find a buyer or donation recipient.

Tin Can
19-Nov-2013, 12:30
Since I seem to be the only enlarger collector at the moment.

At this time enlargers are difficult to even give away.

What is your location?

Please post some pictures.

I have an Eastman No. 1 Projection Printer (enlarger) from the 1920's or 30's. I would like to know if it has any value and how best to find a buyer or donation recipient.

Tin Can
19-Nov-2013, 12:40
I would love to find one of these, complete.

djdister
19-Nov-2013, 13:50
I had an Eastman 5x7 Autofocus enlarger which only needed a new bellows but couldn't find anyone to give it to, so I recycled the hundred+ pounds of cast iron (the stand and column) and kept the lens. It was a shame, because I had used it 25 years ago and it had worked just fine. Looked just like the one in this photograph.

Caption: U.S. FSA (Farm Security Administration)--later U.S. OWI (Office of War Information) photography laboratory in the auditor's building, Washington, D.C. Enlarging and contact room, showing an Eastman auto-focus enlarger (5x7) on the left and an 8 x 10 professional contact printer on the right.

Tin Can
19-Nov-2013, 15:21
Ya, nobody wants them NOW, but they will never be made again...

I like machines of all types, particularly old machines.

A lot of old cars, trucks, trains got melted own for war efforts, making them scarce.

CJC-Wis
20-Nov-2013, 17:30

This is the only picture that I have right now. The enlarger is in Prairie du Chien, WI but I am in Madison, WI. I may have an opportunity to take a better picture next week. The enlarger was used a few times between 15 and 25 years ago. It was last used professionally about 50 years ago. It is complete, but I doubt that the lens is the original.

Tin Can
20-Nov-2013, 18:20
Well, I'm right down the street in Chicago.

I am interested in a few better pictures.

Looking forward to it.

This is the only picture that I have right now. The enlarger is in Prairie du Chien, WI but I am in Madison, WI. I may have an opportunity to take a better picture next week. The enlarger was used a few times between 15 and 25 years ago. It was last used professionally about 50 years ago. It is complete, but I doubt that the lens is the original.

Jody_S
20-Nov-2013, 23:01

You might want to take some better pics of the smaller enlarger in front of it, too.

gth
21-Nov-2013, 06:42
I had an Eastman 5x7 Autofocus enlarger which only needed a new bellows but couldn't find anyone to give it to, so I recycled the hundred+ pounds of cast iron (the stand and column) and kept the lens. It was a shame, because I had used it 25 years ago and it had worked just fine. Looked just like the one in this photograph.

Caption: U.S. FSA (Farm Security Administration)--later U.S. OWI (Office of War Information) photography laboratory in the auditor's building, Washington, D.C. Enlarging and contact room, showing an Eastman auto-focus enlarger (5x7) on the left and an 8 x 10 professional contact printer on the right.

Do you still have the lens?

/gth

gleaf
21-Nov-2013, 07:27
600 miles to Prairie du Chien, WI. and some change. I would surely not want it to get scrapped out. Randy. If you decide to pass on it let us know.

CJC-Wis
21-Nov-2013, 10:23

/gth

I still have the lens that is probably the one that my dad used with it from about 1947 to 1965. I will get more details when I am in Prairie du Chien next week.

CJC-Wis
21-Nov-2013, 11:17
You might want to take some better pics of the smaller enlarger in front of it, too.

I am not looking to do anything with the Leitz enlarger now.

Tin Can
21-Nov-2013, 11:33
Let's see how it all goes. I am 250 miles away and was near there 6 weeks ago.

I want to see the pics.

I have several Leitz like the one in the picture, don't need a 4th Leitz! They are very nice.

I don't think...

600 miles to Prairie du Chien, WI. and some change. I would surely not want it to get scrapped out. Randy. If you decide to pass on it let us know.

CJC-Wis
21-Nov-2013, 19:57
Here is a Google Docs link to a PDF file containing the 12-page instruction book and 4-pages of catalog information. The enlarger that I have looks like the one covered by the PDF. The standard and bench are made of wood. The foot switch is different. It is a separate piece made of cast-iron. It is connected by a cord.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2aO9KyH_t7iWFdvRkEzRnBVTTQ/edit?usp=sharing

gth
21-Nov-2013, 20:42
I still have the lens that is probably the one that my dad used with it from about 1947 to 1965. I will get more details when I am in Prairie du Chien next week.

Mine is a Kodak Ektanon Enlarging lens f/4.5 71/2 Inch. I believe this is the only lens focal length that will work on the Autofocus Model E enlarger.

Tin Can
21-Nov-2013, 22:43
Yes, I am sure it requires the correct lens. And the easel must be the correct thickness. Reading the sales brochure this cost as much as a car in 1923!

Mine is a Kodak Ektanon Enlarging lens f/4.5 71/2 Inch. I believe this is the only lens focal length that will work on the Autofocus Model E enlarger.

djdister
22-Nov-2013, 03:16

/gth

Yes I still have the lens. It is an Eastman Projection Anastigmat F-4.5, 7 1/2 inch lens, number EC316-C, in fair but working condition.

Dan

Tin Can
22-Nov-2013, 12:59
OK, OP. I am officially out of the running. I just sold my van and will not be getting another large vehicle.

Getting rid of the van and my utility trailer protects me from saving all enlargers. I have enough large darkroom objects now!

Good luck on finding a good home for this gem!

gth
22-Nov-2013, 19:52
Yes I still have the lens. It is an Eastman Projection Anastigmat F-4.5, 7 1/2 inch lens, number EC316-C, in fair but working condition.

Dan

From what I can gather this is an earlier lens than my Ektanon. Is it on the Enlarger lens board? Interested in selling it?

djdister
22-Nov-2013, 20:33
From what I can gather this is an earlier lens than my Ektanon. Is it on the Enlarger lens board? Interested in selling it?

It is not on the enlarger lensboard - the lensboard was pretty much in the same shape as the body of the enlarger, which I ended up recycling. Here are some shots of it before I got rid of the rest of the enlarger. I guess I could sell it - send me a PM.

105190 105191 105192 105193

CJC-Wis
29-Nov-2013, 12:25
Pictures of the enlarger and accessories are posted here.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2aO9KyH_t7iZmR3Z3FMMkZ4U2s&usp=sharing

When I took the pictures, I didn't look at the bulbs and ground glass that is used to diffuse the light. I believe that I have at least one piece of ground glass. I remember experimenting with different pieces of ground glass. I think I might have done that because I was trying to use a substitute bulb.

Tin Can
1-Dec-2013, 23:45
OH MAN!

I am very glad I sold my van, this is very nice. I sure hope it finds a good home and a little wax, not a complete refinish. Patina is where it's at.

Very cool.

Pictures of the enlarger and accessories are posted here.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2aO9KyH_t7iZmR3Z3FMMkZ4U2s&usp=sharing

When I took the pictures, I didn't look at the bulbs and ground glass that is used to diffuse the light. I believe that I have at least one piece of ground glass. I remember experimenting with different pieces of ground glass. I think I might have done that because I was trying to use a substitute bulb.