PDA

View Full Version : Scanner recommendation -under 500$ And any useful tips?

analoguey
8-Nov-2013, 22:04
Hello!

I am looking to buy a scanner under 500$, that would do 35mm, 120 and possibly even 4x5 - I haven't started shooting 4x5 yet, but it would possibly be sometime in the very near future.

I have an option of buying a new Epson v600 for around 300$, locally.

I am also thinking of bidding for either a 4990, or a Microtek a 900 -seem affordable, and reasonable quality?

Reading reviews online - and especially on amazon, I am not really sure of the Microtek -there seem to be quite a bit of reliability issues with it.

The 4990 seems decent although I haven't seen anyone with glowing tributes to it -something Microtek seems to have got!

That said, most reviews seem at least 3-4 years old and I am wondering if there's things I might have missed - usage issues, modern hardware/ Software issues?

What would you recommend? (not necessary that it be only the couple of brands above!)

TIA.

AtlantaTerry
8-Nov-2013, 22:25
I seem to remember that Microtek scanners are no longer made, supported or have parts available.

Tip: the $ sign goes before the numbers.

analoguey
8-Nov-2013, 22:35
I seem to remember that Microtek scanners are no longer made, supported or have parts available.

Wouldn't mind a used one- most choices are used scanners anyways?

Ah, yes, I kept thinking where the currency sign was placed didn't matter!

Ari
9-Nov-2013, 06:22
If you are in North America, Epson.com or Epson.ca will have refurbished models from time to time.
You can get a v750 for $500 or less.
Otherwise, keep checking camera stores and online specials, a v700 or v750 will turn up eventually.
A used 4990 on eBay shouldn't be too hard to get, with a little patience, and they are fine scanners for the money.

Roger Thoms
9-Nov-2013, 08:33

Yet when it is pronounced we say 500 followed by dollars. I think the OP is onto something here. :)

Roger

jnantz
9-Nov-2013, 08:33
im with ari
if you are "local" to where they are ..

i got an epson refurbished scanner for peanuts
back when they were selling new for pistachios ..
(knock-wood) and it still works ! ..
john

dave_whatever
9-Nov-2013, 08:36
If you want a glowing review I would say in the right hands 4990s are great for 5x4 film. I've also used a V700 and from my experience your scanning technique, film mounting protocol, and which software you use has more bearing on the quality of the output than the marginal difference between the models. I'd not pay a premium for a v700/750 if you can find a 4990 cheaper. Buy a copy of vuescan and learn to use it, scan at max res to oversample and output at 1600 or 2000 ppi and you can get really good results, just don't expect miracles or 4800ppi of actual optical resolution. Scans from these flatbeds will also take a LOT of software sharpening before starting to look weird.

ndrs
9-Nov-2013, 09:09
I got my drum scanner for $350.

analoguey
9-Nov-2013, 11:54
im with ari
if you are "local" to where they are ..

i got an epson refurbished scanner for peanuts
back when they were selling new for pistachios ..
(knock-wood) and it still works ! ..
john

Not sure I understand? Are you saying just buy out here you mean?

If you are in North America, Epson.com or Epson.ca will have refurbished models from time to time.
You can get a v750 for $500 or less.
Otherwise, keep checking camera stores and online specials, a v700 or v750 will turn up eventually.
A used 4990 on eBay shouldn't be too hard to get, with a little patience, and they are fine scanners for the money.

In India. So I'm budgeting for shipping as well - if buying online. I am not in a hurry, so I have some time on my hands.

analoguey
9-Nov-2013, 12:13
I got my drum scanner for $350.

Wow. Which one?

If you want a glowing review I would say in the right hands 4990s are great for 5x4 film. I've also used a V700 and from my experience your scanning technique, film mounting protocol, and which software you use has more bearing on the quality of the output than the marginal difference between the models. I'd not pay a premium for a v700/750 if you can find a 4990 cheaper. Buy a copy of vuescan and learn to use it, scan at max res to oversample and output at 1600 or 2000 ppi and you can get really good results, just don't expect miracles or 4800ppi of actual optical resolution. Scans from these flatbeds will also take a LOT of software sharpening before starting to look weird.

Thanks, I have read a lot of praise for the vuescan and better scanning holders -they're first on my list of add-ons.

Btw has anyone any info on the microteks?

I'm asking also from the perspective of most scanners being old and around the time of Win2000/Xp - and compatibility issues with Win7/8.

jnantz
9-Nov-2013, 14:03
Not sure I understand? Are you saying just buy out here you mean?

In India. So I'm budgeting for shipping as well - if buying online. I am not in a hurry, so I have some time on my hands.

yup
just go to epson . com and see what they have that is refurbished
and get it shipped to you ... i wasn't sure where you might be, or if shipping
overseas was an issue ..

have fun
john

Ari
9-Nov-2013, 14:10
Btw has anyone any info on the microteks?

I'm asking also from the perspective of most scanners being old and around the time of Win2000/Xp - and compatibility issues with Win7/8.

Have a quick read here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?106507-Recommend-a-Good-Flatbed-Scanner
Not quite a ringing endorsement.

Lenny Eiger
9-Nov-2013, 18:21
I'm sorry, I think you are asking too much. Why not go and ask - I want a brand new Ebony and I only want to pay $500 for it.

The 750 might meet some needs, but it isn't going to do anything wonderful with 35mm.

I think you would be better off to look at the scan high-end list and see what bargains come up, then if you find something inexpensive you can ask if its worth it, what extra you would have to pay for, etc. There were two mentioned this past week on Craigslist, a 4500 for $750 in Memphis and a 7500 for $1K in Fort Collins. If I was going to pay $500 for a Epson, I would rather pay $750 for a 4500, provided it was in good condition, of course.

Lenny

analoguey
9-Nov-2013, 21:02
I'm sorry, I think you are asking too much. Why not go and ask - I want a brand new Ebony and I only want to pay $500 for it.

The 750 might meet some needs, but it isn't going to do anything wonderful with 35mm.

I think you would be better off to look at the scan high-end list and see what bargains come up, then if you find something inexpensive you can ask if its worth it, what extra you would have to pay for, etc. There were two mentioned this past week on Craigslist, a 4500 for $750 in Memphis and a 7500 for $1K in Fort Collins. If I was going to pay $500 for a Epson, I would rather pay $750 for a 4500, provided it was in good condition, of course.

Lenny

I'm looking at TCO. Not just initial investment. It includes shipping, maintenance, issues requiring support or even semblance of it.

I am not confident any of that is around in Bangalore or reasonable shipping distance from Bangalore - still trying to look, of course.

yup
just go to epson . com and see what they have that is refurbished
and get it shipped to you ... i wasn't sure where you might be, or if shipping
overseas was an issue ..

have fun
john

I'll check on those, thanks!

Have a quick read here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?106507-Recommend-a-Good-Flatbed-Scanner
Not quite a ringing endorsement.

Thanks!
Tapatalk search seems quite crappy then. All I got was threads a few years old!