PDA

View Full Version : Which NEW 11x14 film holder do you prefer?

Tin Can
8-Nov-2013, 14:09
I am going to try and buy one new 11x14 holder every 2 or 3 months, as my 'allowance' allows.

Used one's seem so beat up, so rare and so expensive, I may as well buy new.

I would like to hear about differences, availability, from actual users and new purchasers.

Not a discussion about price or origin.

Of course, I am open to buying very good used ones, but I am not seeing them on eBay.

Michael Kadillak
8-Nov-2013, 14:26
I only use S&S and Fidelity Medical cassettes and unfortunately, their measured film registration is off sufficiently enough to warrant using the two camera backs I acquired. My Deardorff V11 was a 1940 Marine model that did not have a film holder back so I had Richard Ritter make me one to accommodate my then wooden S&S holders. When the Deardorff camera company came into existence I thought it would be beneficial to have an original Deardorff back for the camera and acquired one that needed to be modified. A friend of mine measured the probe depth of the batch of medical cassettes I acquired and the S&S holders and determined that they were sufficiently dimensionally different from each other as to the film registration that I ended up modifying the V11 camera back to use the medical holders. That said I really do like the Medical holders even though they are heavier.

My advice is that whatever brand you end up going with (S&S, AWB, Chaminoix or ?) stick with it so you are consistent with your film registration.

imagedowser
8-Nov-2013, 14:36
Been struggling with the same issue... I think you have the answer that will help everyone.... If a few of us (well, perhaps more than a few..) do the same thing and list our replaced older holders on this site, all the members will be helped. Do you think AWB, S&S, etc would give a break to a bulk order from our members?

Tin Can
8-Nov-2013, 14:53
I was unaware Medical holders are still available new.

Do you know a source?

I only use S&S and Fidelity Medical cassettes and unfortunately, their measured film registration is off sufficiently enough to warrant using the two camera backs I acquired. My Deardorff V11 was a 1940 Marine model that did not have a film holder back so I had Richard Ritter make me one to accommodate my then wooden S&S holders. When the Deardorff camera company came into existence I thought it would be beneficial to have an original Deardorff back for the camera and acquired one that needed to be modified. A friend of mine measured the probe depth of the batch of medical cassettes I acquired and the S&S holders and determined that they were sufficiently dimensionally different from each other as to the film registration that I ended up modifying the V11 camera back to use the medical holders. That said I really do like the Medical holders even though they are heavier.

My advice is that whatever brand you end up going with (S&S, AWB, Chaminoix or ?) stick with it so you are consistent with your film registration.

Lachlan 717
8-Nov-2013, 15:51
S&S only for my 7x17". Beautifully made.

(When I get around to making an 11x14" camera, I might give making my own holders a crack).

Michael Kadillak
8-Nov-2013, 16:24
I was unaware Medical holders are still available new.

Do you know a source?

They stopped making them many years ago. I was able to acquire four that appeared to be unused old stock and four that are visually like new. Interestingly enough the machinist that measured the probe depth of the medical cassettes determined that the process of heat fusing the aluminum platelet into the holder induces a slight cupping on the platelet within the process. Well inside the circle of confusion even for macro work, but it is not "perfectly" flat. The compromise was setting the probe depth of the GG at the average depth of the holders he measured. Another item that I learned in the process. While we all "assume" that wooden holders come from the manufacturer perfectly flat, that is not always the case. Place them face down on a perfectly flat surface and do the pressure test pushing on each corner and see if you can detect any curve. The machinist friend of mine noticed curvature in one of my holders visually. Check this out to your satisfaction when you get your holders.

I painted the inside edges of my wooden holders and used thin black tape over the two seems of the hinge flap on each side of the holder.

The complexity of making holders is not the grooves and cuts of the pieces, it is the understanding of the grain and how various pieces need to be put together to keep the holder static and straight as a function of time. The price you pay for wooden holders is acquiring the experience in this regard and few part time woodworkers are that skilled in the science of wood to get it right. I know that described me and I am not ashamed to admit it. Moulded plastic is impervious to weather and is far less likely to move and that was why I went for the Fidelity Cassettes when I came across them. Have not seen many in the last year or two.

Michael Kadillak
8-Nov-2013, 16:57
Been struggling with the same issue... I think you have the answer that will help everyone.... If a few of us (well, perhaps more than a few..) do the same thing and list our replaced older holders on this site, all the members will be helped. Do you think AWB, S&S, etc would give a break to a bulk order from our members? It is worth a try to see if there is any value from the maker in knowing that they have product sold. I have heard some interesting stories about AWB so I would recommend Sandy King / S&S.

sanking
8-Nov-2013, 18:17
For the record we (S&S) do not have any 11X14" holders in stock, and have no plans at this time to produce another batch.

We still have in stock some holders in most of the other ULF dimensions, including 7X17, 8X20, 12X20 and 14X17. We also have some full plate (6.5 X 8.5) holders in stock.

http://ssfilmholders.com/

Sandy

Tin Can
8-Nov-2013, 19:33
Well that is bad news, but thanks for the update Sandy.

For the record we (S&S) do not have any 11X14" holders in stock, and have no plans at this time to produce another batch.

We still have in stock some holders in most of the other ULF dimensions, including 7X17, 8X20, 12X20 and 14X17. We also have some full plate (6.5 X 8.5) holders in stock.

http://ssfilmholders.com/

Sandy

Tin Can
8-Nov-2013, 20:01
A few months ago, I thought I saw 11x14 holders on Badger camera's site, but I no longer see them there.

What confuses me, is how do camera manufacturers expect buyers of new cameras to obtain new film holders. Several companies sell new 5x7 and other sizes besides 8x10 cameras. I cannot imagine a Linhof 5x7 buyer settling for used holders. I have bought NOS holders in 5x7, but they are not plentiful.

I just sent an email to AWB, that website is dated 2006. I do know Chamonix is still in business and there is that fellow in Eastern Europe.

Am I missing any other sources?

Erik Larsen
8-Nov-2013, 20:30
Tachihara also makes 11/14 holders. I've used them and they are good as well.
$350.00 new is a good deal too IMO.

Tin Can
8-Nov-2013, 21:36
That's what I saw on Badger Graphic sales site, but they are gone. I will check with them.

I think I read they are hard to load as they have a spring behind the septum?

Is that true? I mean the spring backed septem?

Erik Larsen
8-Nov-2013, 21:42
That's what I saw on Badger Graphic sales site, but they are gone. I will check with them.

I think I read they are hard to load as they have a spring behind the septum?

Is that true? I mean the spring backed septem?

They are spring loaded but not to tight to load easily. The tension is just enough to keep the film from moving once loaded. Simple design that works good IMO. I purchased through MPEX

Tin Can
8-Nov-2013, 21:44
MPEX has them listed at $430 and perhaps not in stock. I know I saw them recently for $350, somewhere...

Erik Larsen
8-Nov-2013, 21:47
Add them to the cart for real price listed at $350. May have inquire about stock status I guess?

Tin Can
8-Nov-2013, 21:57
Thanks Eric!

Add them to the cart for real price listed at $350. May have inquire about stock status I guess?

Michael Kadillak
8-Nov-2013, 22:07
A few months ago, I thought I saw 11x14 holders on Badger camera's site, but I no longer see them there.

What confuses me, is how do camera manufacturers expect buyers of new cameras to obtain new film holders. Several companies sell new 5x7 and other sizes besides 8x10 cameras. I cannot imagine a Linhof 5x7 buyer settling for used holders. I have bought NOS holders in 5x7, but they are not plentiful.

I just sent an email to AWB, that website is dated 2006. I do know Chamonix is still in business and there is that fellow in Eastern Europe.

Am I missing any other sources?

The fact remains that when you are shooting the conventional formats like 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 film holders were (and most of the time) can be acquired from new stock. 5x7 is the variable in this discussion as they were readily available for some time and then they vanished. Come to find out the manufacturer pulled the plug on them. However when you get into ULF (8x20. 7x17. 11x14, 14x17, 12x20, 16x20,20x24 and others) the fact remains that the sellers of these camera has been dependent upon independent craftsmen producing holders for these photographers. The lack of supply was the reason that Wisner, Chaminoix, S&S and AWB and even Ebony ventured into this manufacturing space and others like Ritter felt it was necessary to consider doing so to compliment and support their camera selling enterprise. Given the fact that it is a niche market and the average photographer in any of these out of the box formats usually has a lifetime supply of holders when the number reached six, this is not a real growth business per se. The folks that make holders do so because they are photographers themselves and want to fill this need for themselves and others that are similarly passionate about the art and craft of ULF photography.

Sal Santamaura
8-Nov-2013, 22:22
...5x7 is the variable in this discussion as they were readily available for some time and then they vanished. Come to find out the manufacturer pulled the plug on them...Fidelity's production re-start (4x5, 5x7 and 8x10) was actually just resumption of assembly from existing parts stock. Apparently, 5x7 components ran out first. Anyone interested in that format can still buy Chamonix holders new.

Here's a Google translation of the Tachihara page on its film holders:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/filmholder.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/filmholder.html%26num%3D100

Using quaint machine-generated English, it offers some insight into weight and materials used in the 11x14 holder as well as a clue why stock status might vary over the course of a year.

Another option for new 11x14 holders is Lotus:

http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/pdf/cameras_13_e.pdf

I bought three of them directly from Dick Phillips along with my 11x14 Explorer. They are, however, substantially more expensive than Tachihara's.

Here's the page showing Chamonix's 11x14 holders:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/holders.html

At today's exchange rates, they're roughly the same price in US dollars as Lotus!

Michael Kadillak
8-Nov-2013, 22:48
Fidelity's production re-start (4x5, 5x7 and 8x10) was actually just resumption of assembly from existing parts stock. Apparently, 5x7 components ran out first. Anyone interested in that format can still buy Chamonix holders new.

Here's a Google translation of the Tachihara page on its film holders:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/filmholder.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss/filmholder.html%26num%3D100

Using quaint machine-generated English, it offers some insight into weight and materials used in the 11x14 holder as well as a clue why stock status might vary over the course of a year.

Another option for new 11x14 holders is Lotus:

http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/pdf/cameras_13_e.pdf

I bought three of them directly from Dick Phillips along with my 11x14 Explorer. They are, however, substantially more expensive than Tachihara's.

Here's the page showing Chamonix's 11x14 holders:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/holders.html

At today's exchange rates, they're roughly the same price in US dollars as Lotus!

Thanks for the information that escaped me. Glad that I picked up my holders and Copal shutters/lenses when I did. The lack of supply could be putting a crimp on some folks.

Tin Can
8-Nov-2013, 22:49
I have bought a few NOS 2x3 and 5x7 holders in OE boxes and was glad to get them. I am happy to hear Chamonix and Tachihara are both available. I did cobble up two single side 11x14 holders for a copy camera, but they only fit the Levy. Now I got that Deardorff SC11...

I realize I better find the cash for holders before replacing the bellows. Bellows are easy to find or fix, comparatively.

Still wondering about the loading of Tachihara spring system.

Tin Can
8-Nov-2013, 22:53
Especially a 'johnny come lately' like I am. Too bad I didn't get into LF before I retired and was making money, but then it was all more expensive. So it goes.

Thanks for the information that escaped me. Glad that I picked up my holders and Copal shutters/lenses when I did. The lack of supply could be putting a crimp on some folks.

RichardRitter
9-Nov-2013, 06:04
I was forced into making film holders awhile ago. Finding some one to sell you a holder a one every few months will be hard. the holders have to be made. With over 150 different setups to make a holder one will be very cost allot and 6 will be a lot less.

Best way to go order holders 6 holder and have the delivery date 9 months from now and pay a holder off one at a time before the delivery date.

Tin Can
9-Nov-2013, 10:18
That makes sense! Sometimes I'm a little slow...

I was forced into making film holders awhile ago. Finding some one to sell you a holder a one every few months will be hard. the holders have to be made. With over 150 different setups to make a holder one will be very cost allot and 6 will be a lot less.

Best way to go order holders 6 holder and have the delivery date 9 months from now and pay a holder off one at a time before the delivery date.

Oren Grad
9-Nov-2013, 11:38
Still wondering about the loading of Tachihara spring system.

Randy, it's a matter of personal preference. Unfortunately, you probably need to try for yourself to know whether they will work for you. I had Tachihara 11x14 holders and struggled with them; I eventually sold them. I'm happy with the Fidelity and S&S 11x14 holders that I currently have.

David Lobato
9-Nov-2013, 14:02
With the 11x14 camera I got from a forum member sometime ago, came two new looking wood film holders. I have no idea where they were manufactured but the finish is a bit rough. Dimensionally not precise either. It took a lot of time with a scrap sheet of 11x14 in the light at the kitchen table to learn the several quirks of loading them. Also have a problem of the film falling out inside the camera after the dark slide is pulled, that's how the scrap sheet happened. Double sticky tape helps but makes unloading exposed film difficult. One or two new quality film holders would be great but I can't spare the funds. These film holders are the most challenging issues with my 11x14. If they were simple to use, operating the camera would be a better experience.

BTW, I have a couple of cabinet style 11x14 paper safes with shelves inside that are great for film storage, one for unexposed sheets - the original film boxes fit inside, and the other for exposed sheets. Don't care if they're light tight or not, just need a convenient place to safely store those big negatives from damage.

Tin Can
9-Nov-2013, 14:28
I just talked to a person who uses Tachihara 11x14's. She said new, the flap is stiff, and the loading trick is to push down on the septum, while sliding the film, which sounds like 3 hands needed. She does like them, once loaded.

I am going to do a better test of my copy camera holders and their 11x14 conversion tonight. I think I have 'D' distances matching, at 0.750" for both GG and FP, but I need to confirm with a focus chart shot.

That doesn't solve my Deardorff SC11 holder problem. I think there are only 4 choices new, Chamonix, Lotus, Tachihara and Richard Ritter.

Are there any other new 11x14 holder makers?

Randy, it's a matter of personal preference. Unfortunately, you probably need to try for yourself to know whether they will work for you. I had Tachihara 11x14 holders and struggled with them; I eventually sold them. I'm happy with the Fidelity and S&S 11x14 holders that I currently have.

evan clarke
9-Nov-2013, 16:29
Randy, i have a dozen Chamonix 11x14 holders and they are just top notch. Carbon fiber center and carbon fiber slides, all beautifully finished. Contact Hugo Zhang. You can buy them one at a time.

Daniel Stone
9-Nov-2013, 17:06
Randy, i have a dozen Chamonix 11x14 holders and they are just top notch. Carbon fiber center and carbon fiber slides, all beautifully finished. Contact Hugo Zhang. You can buy them one at a time.

I mirror what Evan says.
At the So-Cal LF meetup a few weeks ago, Hugo brought some holders, including an 11x14 one.
BEAUTIFULLY MADE. All joints are super tight, no gaps. Very well made.
If I was sticking with 11x14(5x7 ain't leavin the nest though ;)!), I'd be saving my shekels for a few of these holders.
Pricy, yes. But in the long run I think you'll be quite happy.

However, if I were to implement a design change, I'd add a strip along the edge where you pull the darkslide out. Fidelity/Lisco holders and others have a lip/raised bump which gives you some purchase to hold onto. The Chamonix is just straight carbon fiber w/ some holes.

Alan Brubaker makes great holders too, FYI. And his are a bit cheaper than Chamonix
http://www.filmholders.com/filmho1.html
he's here in So. Cal(so if purchasing "American Made" means something special to you, he's a great option according to many I've spoken with about LF/ULF holders)

best of luck with your search!

Sal Santamaura
9-Nov-2013, 18:05
...Chamonix 11x14 holders...Carbon fiber center and carbon fiber slides...Unless they're different than Chamonix holders in other sizes, the septum is aluminum, not carbon fiber.

Sal Santamaura
9-Nov-2013, 18:09
...I have heard some interesting stories about AWB so I would recommend Sandy King / S&S.

Alan Brubaker...he's a great option according to many I've spoken with about LF/ULF holders...Evidently Michael and Daniel speak to different people. :D What I'd find interesting is to know who those people are and exactly what they've said.

lab black
9-Nov-2013, 18:44
I own a number of Alan Brubaker, ULF holders which are a pleasure to use without complication. In addition, Alan designed a number of brilliant modifications to my camera all of which, have been extremely helpful. Despite the cost of purchasing multiple holders, due to his production style, I would recommend ordering as many holders as you plan to use, at the same time.

Bruce Barlow
10-Nov-2013, 10:21
Well, if Richard Ritter told the world he's making holders, I can break my long-held silence. He made me promise to shut up. Not an easy promise for me keep.

I've seen him go at it, and he's right about them being incredibly labor-intensive and time-consuming to make, hence the best course is to make a run of a bunch, but that takes working capital that isn't always available.

But for my money, Richard, as always, is going to do an incredible job, reasonably priced.

Maybe, Richard, you should do "runs" of a certain size every couple months, and solicit orders? Kinda like Ilford's ULF film run, only "March is 11x14 month," and "June is 7x17 month," announce the schedule well in advance, take orders and deposits to cover materials, and then ship at the end of the month. Manufacturing efficiencies, reliable deliveries, more reasonable prices, everybody wins. Not as convenient as immediate gratification from somewhere else, but from the thread it seems that immediate gratification is not in the cards with any manufacturer.

Just a thought, which is easy for me because I don't have to do the work...

Sal Santamaura
10-Nov-2013, 11:29
I was forced into making film holders awhile ago...

Well, if Richard Ritter told the world he's making holders, I can break my long-held silence...OK, I just cruised Richard's entire Web site and found no mention of holders. So.....

Richard, please let us know details of the holders, prices and sizes available. I'd encourage you to offer them not only for camera formats you sell, but also others such as 5x7 and whole plate. In the latter case, a defacto "standard" that has evolved

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?72647-Review-of-Argentum-Explorator-II-wholeplate-camera&p=691305&viewfull=1#post691305

seems like the best design to implement.

I hope you pursue this line of business aggressively. The market for holders appears to be greater than that for cameras. :)

Tin Can
10-Nov-2013, 12:22
Sal, this makes sense.

Some of us new people may be very hesitant to buy ULF camera with no prospect of obtainable holders.

I have had one supplier contact me with PM, and offer a 'try one out'. Since it was a honest and polite PM, I will not reveal content or source. And I have now found a possible source of lightly used 11x14 holders. Possible, but not a sure thing!

Believe me, I have been regretting purchasing an 11x14 camera BEFORE checking out holder availability and price.

I think this is a priority LF issue. Before film, we need holders, even before cameras.

Tin Can
10-Nov-2013, 13:42
I checked my View Camera Magazine subscriber only section and found a very informative article they published in 2008 on ULF holders.

"ULF Film Holders:
The Current State of Affairs" by Michael Mutmansky

One must be a subscriber to access this article.

Lachlan 717
10-Nov-2013, 14:24
Believe me, I have been regretting purchasing an 11x14 camera BEFORE checking out holder availability and price.

Randy,

Trust me; once you see the first Neg come out of the soup, this feeling will quickly be relegated to being a distant memory! Stick with it. It will be worth it in the end.

Lachlan 717
10-Nov-2013, 14:25
Maybe, Richard, you should do "runs" of a certain size every couple months, and solicit orders? Kinda like Ilford's ULF film run, only "March is 11x14 month," and "June is 7x17 month," announce the schedule well in advance, take orders and deposits to cover materials, and then ship at the end of the month. Manufacturing efficiencies, reliable deliveries, more reasonable prices, everybody wins. Not as convenient as immediate gratification from somewhere else, but from the thread it seems that immediate gratification is not in the cards with any manufacturer.

Just a thought, which is easy for me because I don't have to do the work...

I like this idea. I just hope that the month I need is calendar-opposite to the Ilford run...

Bruce Barlow
10-Nov-2013, 17:32
Sal, I'm sure, knowing Richard, that he's reluctant to "announce" making holders before he's sure he can do it well, so while unmuzzled, I'm betting I'm a little premature, which explains not having them on the website, etc. Remember that Richard lived through the Zone VI Camera development and challenges in the late 1980s. He remembers all-too-well making promises that one ends up not being able to keep. He's not Fred Picker, and so won't make that mistake.

I couldn't talk with certainty about whether he has developed pricing for all sizes, either. He told me he decided to make ULF holders to support camera sales, since he see the same instability in the holder market that this thread talks about. Might as well offer holders, too, he said to me.

But, "outted," as he has been, a phone call to him would give you the information you're looking for. It would probably goose him to develop pricing for those as-yet unpriced, too.

In prior conversations, he blanched at making 4x5, 5x7 and even 8x10 holders. That said, when I first started bugging him about going into the ULF holder biz 4 years ago, he blanched then. You could hardly see the blanching, given Richard's face fur, but he blanched.

Messages of encouragement would help move him towards deciding to do holders for real, and with gusto.

I, without any humility, agree that the "holder of the month" plan is pure genius. If Ilford and all of you hadn't come up with the original idea, I would take all the credit. Maybe I will anyway.

Tin Can
11-Nov-2013, 12:32
I just talked to MPEX and they said Tachihara 11x14 holders are no longer made or available and will not be made ever again.

AWB and Chamonix are in business and both contacted me. Thank you both.

I just left a message for Richard Ritter.

I hope my barely used holder offer comes through...

Tin Can
11-Nov-2013, 14:26
Update from MPEX. This is from Jim Andracki, verbatim, in answer to my question if 11x14 Tachihara holders are available. He said it was OK to post this.

Thank you Jim!

"Sorry Mr Tachihara is no longer making the holders unless he has an order of 20 peices.
Thanks
Midwest Photo
Educational & Commercial Support
Jim Andracki
jim@mpex.com
1-614-827-9816"

"Hi Randy yes this was his reply from sveral months ago when someone asked to order 2 11x14 holders.
Thanks jim
Midwest Photo
Educational & Commercial Support
Jim Andracki
jim@mpex.com
1-614-827-9816"

Michael Kadillak
11-Nov-2013, 16:01
I just talked to MPEX and they said Tachihara 11x14 holders are no longer made or available and will not be made ever again.

AWB and Chamonix are in business and both contacted me. Thank you both.

I just left a message for Richard Ritter.

I hope my barely used holder offer comes through...

The 11x14 ULF format is a bit of an effort in getting "set up" as right now holders are in short supply (this was not the case a short time ago), lenses need a broader image circle and film is another challenge that can be resolved. But as the other contributor stated, when you pull that big mamma jamma out of the fixer and gaze at all of its visual marvel, it will put a big smile on your face and all will be well.

Even when you find your holders verify the T lock distances on your camera to verify that they match properly. I continue to use a dark cloth over my camera back when making images to be "safe" as the risk of light leaks are real and anyone that uses a ULF camera has learned to manage this issue.

Curt
11-Nov-2013, 17:48
If you have a studio camera wouldn't you be best served by buying one or two new holders from a company that keeps it's standards the same rather than odd used makes once and a while?

I've started making them but like Richard Ritter said there are over a hundred and fifty steps. I have listed at least that number myself. They are perfectly built instruments without very much of the maker showing. Form follows function is so apt here.

The dimensions are critical and the T-Depth nearly exact. Keep in mind that the camera back must have the exact same displacement of the ground glass as the T-Depth of the holder. If it isn't then it has to be reworked to make it match.

Sal Santamaura
11-Nov-2013, 18:38
...Keep in mind that the camera back must have the exact same displacement of the ground glass as the T-Depth of the holder...Close, but not quite. Ground glass distance from the film holder seating surface must equal a holder's T dimension minus film's thickness, the latter typically assumed to be 0.007-inch.

Daniel Stone
11-Nov-2013, 19:26
wouldn't it be simpler to have a set of custom-cut cutter heads made for use with a router? Maybe in use with a shaper?

Somehow it strikes me as this is the best(and most easily repeated) method for making the long-edge of film holders.

A shaper and custom cutting heads. Just use a table saw for the times where you need to make (1) cut

just thinkin out loud here

Daniel Stone
11-Nov-2013, 19:29
heck, what about having them 3d printed with black, opaque material?
just incorporate the design to have removable light traps(like the older wooden holders w/ the metal bar along the top retained by screws)

again, just thinkin out loud here :)

[ADD] same goes for ULF/odd sized holders... 3D printing is becoming cheap, and you don't have to worry about the resins swelling with humidity changes like some wooden holders can have a tendency to do

Tin Can
11-Nov-2013, 20:09
Believe me I have been thinking about how to make them, but I am not even close. Today I made a 11x14 box bellows for my SC11 to give me more draw. Hardly a precision project, but a successful one.

Curt
11-Nov-2013, 21:59
Close, but not quite. Ground glass distance from the film holder seating surface must equal a holder's T dimension minus film's thickness, the latter typically assumed to be 0.007-inch.

The film is assumed, since only an idiot would expose an empty holder. By the way I don't work in close.

Curt
11-Nov-2013, 22:05
wouldn't it be simpler to have a set of custom-cut cutter heads made for use with a router? Maybe in use with a shaper?

Somehow it strikes me as this is the best(and most easily repeated) method for making the long-edge of film holders.

A shaper and custom cutting heads. Just use a table saw for the times where you need to make (1) cut

just thinkin out loud here

I have a Powermatic 3hp Shaper, getting a "cutter" made is an expensive proposition. It's not impossible though. I use four wing carbide shaper cutters and have my cabinet shop to work in.

Michael Cienfuegos
12-Nov-2013, 09:29
The film is assumed, since only an idiot would expose an empty holder. By the way I don't work in close.

I have been known to pull that stunt. :(

m

fecaleagle
13-Nov-2013, 14:01
I think Chamonix is the best bet going forward for new ULF holders. I don't own one of their cameras, but I bought an excellent 5x7 wet plate holder from them. Beautiful craftsmanship and fantastic communication from Hugo.

Ari
14-Nov-2013, 10:03

I resent being called an idiot :)

Lachlan 717
14-Nov-2013, 13:26
There's a 11x14 holder just listed on eBay.

Curt
15-Nov-2013, 01:10
I resent being called an idiot :)

Sorry Ari, I spent all my snappy comebacks on Facebook!

dsphotog
15-Nov-2013, 14:58
Do 11x14 X ray cassettes work? and how well do they fit our cameras?

Michael Kadillak
15-Nov-2013, 16:44

The T Lock dimensions fit fine. I posted a previous comment on the differing film registration issues between my 11x14 S&S holders and the 11x14 medical cassettes I was using. The reason that I had this checked is that I had a modest macro shot on 11x14 that I spend much time getting dialed in on the GG and it came out modestly out of focus on the negative telling me that something was awry. My hunch was spot on.

dsphotog
15-Nov-2013, 17:17
Do the medical cassettes have darkslides? they are single sided, right?

Michael Kadillak
15-Nov-2013, 17:25

The look identical to a Fidelity 8x10 holder just proportionally bigger. Double sided and darkslides on each side. They are beefier and even have the slide lock bars.

Curt
15-Nov-2013, 22:14

They work great, for holding a sheet of X-ray film between two rare earth screens but they don't have a dark slide and are not designed for photographic cameras. They are totally different.

Curt
15-Nov-2013, 22:18
An X-ray film cassette is different from a Fidelity medical cassette.

Michael Kadillak
15-Nov-2013, 22:27

My holders are scribed as Fidelity Medical Cassettes so I apologize for the misinterpretation.

dsphotog
15-Nov-2013, 22:29
They work great, for holding a sheet of X-ray film between two rare earth screens but they don't have a dark slide and are not designed for photographic cameras. They are totally different.
Thanks for the info..... I used the wrong word....
That's what I've seen on E-pay. not suitable for our cameras.