PDA

View Full Version : Orientation of fresnal screen on Sinar camera

Gary Samson
7-Nov-2013, 18:52
I just bought a Sinar F1 and I want to know if the fresnal lens should be placed closest to the lens. This is how it is oriented at the moment. Thanks for your help with this.

Gary

Leigh
7-Nov-2013, 20:48
The fresnel snaps into the rear standard on the shooter's side, away from the lens.

Putting it on the lens side would put it between the lens and the film when taking a shot.

- Leigh

Adamphotoman
7-Nov-2013, 21:08
Hi Gary,
My feeling is that it is set up wrong.
My Sinar P has the GG matte side down towards the lens. The shiny side of the GG with Grid is towards my loupe. A fresnel is set into a frame which is inserted into grooves on top of the GG with the fresnel towards the lens and its shiny side towards my loupe. The fresnel is meant to brighten a matte screen not focus it...
I also have a Calumet brand fresnel combo screen which is matte on the underside with the circular etching topside towards the loupe. In this scenario there is a clear cover plate to tale the loupe abrasions.
Hope this helps
grant

AtlantaTerry
7-Nov-2013, 22:21
I just bought a Sinar F1 and I want to know if the fresnal lens should be placed closest to the lens. This is how it is oriented at the moment. Thanks for your help with this.

Gary

"Fresnel"

The device was developed by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel for use in lighthouses so needs an uppercase "F".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens

Gary Samson
8-Nov-2013, 04:14
Thanks to all of you for your quick response on the Fresnel lens placement and correct spelling!

Gary