PDA

View Full Version : Price for a used kodak commercial ektar f6.3, 12"

diversey
7-Nov-2013, 10:58
What is a reasonable Price for a used kodak commercial ektar f6.3, 12"?
Thanks!
D

Jonathan Barlow
7-Nov-2013, 11:18
On eBay, in the US, they bring $400-500 when in really nice condition.

BrianShaw
7-Nov-2013, 11:26
That would be with shutter. Without shutter the price tends to be slightly lower.

photobymike
7-Nov-2013, 11:36
That Ektar 12" seems to be one of the most desired... i have seen prices between 300 to 695 being in the original wood box. I have only seen it in a Ilex compound shutter .... Maybe the best way to buy one of these is get one with a bad shutter and either fix or buy a used Ilex ...very cheap shutter.... but beware that Ilex has a different flange type than you might be used to... caught me by suprise

BrianShaw
7-Nov-2013, 11:47
Aren't the Ilex and the "Kodak Ilex" slightly different shutters? That was my understanding and my hesitation to buy with the intent of re-shuttering.

photobymike
7-Nov-2013, 12:31
Aren't the Ilex and the "Kodak Ilex" slightly different shutters? That was my understanding and my hesitation to buy with the intent of re-shuttering.

yes they are ...according to SKGrimes do not use the kodak version because it is really bad to repair and reliability issues make it a stinker... Well apparently it came in both shutters. not sure because i do not know lens history... I bought one in an Ilex shutter and i needed a flange ..... SKGrimes accomodated me just fine

jcoldslabs
7-Nov-2013, 14:14
...according to SKGrimes do not use the Kodak version because it is really bad to repair and reliability issues make it a stinker.

It was my understanding that the only thing that differentiates the Ilex shutters made for Kodak are the thread and flange dimensions, not the build quality. The SK Grimes site has this to say about them:

"When is an Ilex not an Ilex? Shutters marked as “Made for Eastman Kodak”...are often made to different dimensions from the standard production runs. This means that lenses and mounting flanges may not be easily interchangeable between different shutters."

I have to assume the actual quality of manufacture is indistinguishable from a regular Ilex shutter.

Jonathan

rdenney
7-Nov-2013, 14:21
Moved to the Lenses forum.

Rick "carry on" Denney

BrianShaw
7-Nov-2013, 15:24
I have to assume the actual quality of manufacture is indistinguishable from a regular Ilex shutter.

That is good to hear. The 12" I have is in a Kodak Ilex. It appears to be a high-quality shutter and odes everything I need plus more. The flash synch capability is quite amazing.

jcoldslabs
7-Nov-2013, 15:46
I have a 12" f/4.5 Ektar (the non-'Commercial' version) in a Kodak Ilex Universal No.5. The slowest speeds stick a bit, but otherwise it works well. It isn't much for variety of speeds, though. The fastest marked speed is 1/50 which by all accounts is really 1/30. Still, it's nice to have the flash sync option and it is more consistent at 1/30 and 1/10 than my hand operated Galli shutter usually is.

J.

diversey
10-Nov-2013, 14:05
Thank you all. I got the lens, but no mounting ring/flange. Where can I buy a mounting ring. All the best, D

jcoldslabs
10-Nov-2013, 14:14
Do you need a flange for the lens in a barrel or a flange for the lens in a shutter?

Jonathan

AtlantaTerry
10-Nov-2013, 15:08
Thank you all. I got the lens, but no mounting ring/flange. Where can I buy a mounting ring. All the best, D

Did you not check with S.K. Grimes?

diversey
11-Nov-2013, 02:32
I need a flange for lens in a ACME #4 shutter. Thanks.