PDA

View Full Version : Derogy lens

mylek
6-Nov-2013, 16:41
it is funny to read that Derogy was one of the first lens maker that went in the mass production while at the same time it is so hard to find any information even in the VM...
I'm looking to know what is the focal length of a Derogy Petzval lens #4 and #5? what is the format they were best used for? The aperture of f/4 seems to be correct.

goamules
6-Nov-2013, 18:46
Lens numbers changed often, then changed some more. There are no catalogs of the French makers that I know of digitized. So you have to just ask the seller the focal length and go from there. Knowing it's a #4 or #5 doesn't tell you anything, though it may have in 1868.

Steven Tribe
7-Nov-2013, 02:25
Derogy is one of the many important French makers that the authors of Lens VM didn't get much data on. They based their description on lenses that were available "for inspection" in the UK.
There are some changes in engraving style and content through the 50's and 60's. I don't recall that Derogy wrote sizes on their lenses until quite late - say the 1880's. If the numbering is huge, then it is likely the Aplanat series (see below).

mylek
7-Nov-2013, 06:00
It is looking like the Aplanat's number. I saw a #5 calling for 9 1/2" and another one at 10".
What were their main focal length even before starting to numbering the barrel?

Steven Tribe
7-Nov-2013, 06:57
I don't have a list of focal lengths for Derogy.

The "standard" for Petzvals was something like:
1 - 3. CdV sizes 4 - 6".
4 (9 - 12") and above (12" and more).

This is a very rough guide to just some makers. The early makers often had several series of Petzvals (speed) so focal length classification can be misleading.
Some differentiated CdV (1,2,3) and Cabinet (1,2,3 etc.) sizes.
A #5 9" lens sounds like a small (and fast) cabinet Petzval lens to me.

apelles
17-Jan-2014, 15:20
Yes, I have the same lens as well No 4 in bold engraving on the side of the lens on reverse side No 21770 Derogy Fab crown insignia Brevete Paris & Londres, slot for waterhouse stops , lens has cemented symmetrical front and rear elements with some mild balsam separation

Jannto
4-Jun-2016, 05:59
Any ideas about this Derogy. Its listed in VadeMecum but that's about all.151462151463151464

Steven Tribe
6-Jun-2016, 05:35
Sorry, I just saw this to-day.

A puzzle! You will have to describe the front, central and rear lens cells a little. it has the bayonet system which usually means a Petzval and the position of the wheel stops suggest that too. Could it be a simplified version of the Derogy multiples, where the presence of the middle lens just changes the focal length?

CCHarrison
7-Jun-2016, 13:47
Pehaps these will help...My high school french is pretty rusty

Steven Tribe
7-Jun-2016, 14:46
Probably! The middle of the second page shows a triplet. Nice to have the sizes for some of the better known lenses.

Jannto
12-Feb-2018, 16:20
Oh dear, thanks for answering. almost couple of years ago. If you are still around i could send a sketch of the lens...174657

Steven Tribe
13-Feb-2018, 10:55
Welcome back!

I have looked very carefully through the Derogy data. It has, I think, "Brevette" (Patent) engraved? The serial number suggests a variety of the foyers multiples. These were sold (usually) with a -ve and +ve central lenses, but I have one with 4!
The wheel stop is a puzzle! Could this be an adaption for stereo lenses to have exactly balanced exposures left and right.
The lens size is close to the 1st series, no.1 which is 44mm and a focal length of 11cm (without the central lens mounted).

Jannto
12-Mar-2018, 03:58
Welcome back!

I have looked very carefully through the Derogy data. It has, I think, "Brevette" (Patent) engraved? The serial number suggests a variety of the foyers multiples. These were sold (usually) with a -ve and +ve central lenses, but I have one with 4!
The wheel stop is a puzzle! Could this be an adaption for stereo lenses to have exactly balanced exposures left and right.
The lens size is close to the 1st series, no.1 which is 44mm and a focal length of 11cm (without the central lens mounted).

Yes, its Brevete. But I would be surprised if this is planned to be stereo as it weighs 1.3 kg. Can I ask you where you get the information about Derogy lenses. I have not found anything.

Steven Tribe
12-Mar-2018, 15:24
The Foyers Multiples Derogys are quite heavy - with more brass than usual!

I don't know of any other Derogy Petzvals that are in a plain barrel like this. Or any Petzvals that have wheel stops. Wheel stops are only possible (that is, sensible!) when the largest hole can much smaller than the barrel and/or lens.

The source of knowledge about Derogy is the Le Reve edition french booklet on French early phptography no.16. I didn't have this booklet handy in the early days of this thread.