PDA

View Full Version : found a bunch of large format lenses in the trash

smallformatjohnny
6-Nov-2013, 14:20
Hey guys, So i was was walking home last night, which happened to be garbage day. and I found a dusty photographers bag full of lenses sitting on top a trash can, Hoping it would be full of m42 lenses i took it home to go through it. Only found 2 m42 lenses. =( a vivitar wide agle, and a russian jupiter 9 80mm f2

However, the rest of these lenses are all vintage large formats, If anyone knows anything about these and could share some information about them i'd be greatly appreciative.

C.P. Goerz AM Opt co. Dagor 12in F6.8

Schneider - Kreuznach xenar f4.5 30cm in a compound shutter.

Baush & lomb optical co. Tessar 1c 255mm E.F.

Voigtlander & Sohn A-G Braunschweig Heliar 36cm 1:4.5 Giant beast of a lens.

Wolensak Verito 11.5" diffused focus f4

BarryS
6-Nov-2013, 14:28
Never heard of any of those, but suggest you post a photo of all the lenses together with the dusty bag.

CCHarrison
6-Nov-2013, 14:31
One persons trash another man's treasure.

The Heliar and Verito are worth some bucks if complete and in good shape. The Dagor is good lens as well.

I suggest you search ebay "sold auctions" to get a sense of values

Dan

smallformatjohnny
6-Nov-2013, 15:00
thanks for the insight on those particular lenses, they're in great shape, aside from a ding on the filter ring of the verito. I'm happy enough with the m42's i'll price them low so hopefully they'll get bought by someone who can put them to good use!.

Ari
6-Nov-2013, 15:09
Really? Why doesn't that ever happen to me, or even someone I know?
What a score!

smallformatjohnny
6-Nov-2013, 15:24

Here's a photo of the lot, haven't even tried cleaning them yet pretty weird find eh! aha

brandon13
6-Nov-2013, 15:26
I have that 360mm heliar as well as the 30cm xenar, except mine is a barrel lens. I like them both on 8x10. Lucky find. I'm gonna say the heliar is the big score. probably worth $700-1000 depending on the condition. IMO

onnect17
6-Nov-2013, 15:44
Thanks for the stop. I wish everybody in the forum would do the same. My wife thinks I'm crazy when I pick stuff from the curb. If you are in the New England area I could help you.

Steven Tribe
6-Nov-2013, 15:50
You should just check that these are not "hot" items!
Where I live, items left outside houses for collection, remain the property of the house owner until they are collected by the authorised trash collectors.

Ed Richards
6-Nov-2013, 17:48
I expect that was the fate of my bag of lf lenses when the kids that stole them looked into the bag. I vote for hot.

jnantz
6-Nov-2013, 18:02
You should just check that these are not "hot" items!
Where I live, items left outside houses for collection, remain the property of the house owner until they are collected by the authorised trash collectors.

that is what i was thinking
i have heard plenty of stories
of photographers getting their gear stolen
and the robber looked at what he stole , scratched his head
and dumped them someplace inconspicuous ... i would at least ask
the person whose house they were infront of if he was throwing them out ..
besides if he was throwing out lenses he probably will be happy to give away the cameras !

goamules
6-Nov-2013, 18:30
Thanks for posting the photo. You found some treasure in the trash. It sounds like you are getting ready to sell also. When someone new comes aboard, brandishing big ticket lenses, people often start private messaging that person, asking to buy. We've had a few cases where it was a scam, and more than one forum member has sent a LOT of money off into la-la land, never hearing from the "seller" again. I'm sure they will follow the standard procedures to ensure a bona fide sale, in the future. So your posting the picture gives some comfort. Potential buyers should ask for a phone number and address, get confirmation of the items with several pictures requesting shots of the items that only someone in possession could take, and using paypal or other safe payment methods.

photobymike
6-Nov-2013, 18:31
i think he is yankin our cable ...who throws out lenses like this... i seen weirder but not lately

goamules
6-Nov-2013, 18:36
Yeah, here was one scam I recall, the infamous "Found this lens in my Grandmothers house after she passed away..." And a member lost all his money trying to buy a farce. Not saying that's what the OP is doing.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99490-Cooke-Taylor-amp-Hobson-Achromatic-Portrait-f-7-5-15-Inch-Whats-it-worth

jp
6-Nov-2013, 18:39
If the OP isn't yankin our chain they are probably hot. Probably got stolen and when it was determined they were not commodity digital stuff suitable for craigslist or the pawnshop they got dropped like a hot potato. Have someone check with the police.

Tracy Storer
6-Nov-2013, 18:46
Contact your local Police Department to make sure they have not ben reported stolen, that sounds fishy to me.

smallformatjohnny
6-Nov-2013, 20:19
These things were definitely meant to be disgarded I knocked on the door of the house that threw the items out, the residents said they did indeed throw it out and it was the last of her fathers equipment...I dont even want to think what else she threw out but. ....there was a ton of other retro crap left at the curb, a few old suitcases which I took too hoping there would be cameras or lenses in them as well.... besides the area I found it in is by no means a crime hotspot, and it was clearly evident by the amount of dust that these lenses have not been used In ages. If anyone feels I'm trying to scam anyone out of money well...yes its unusual to find these things in the trash but hey it happened. I never mentioned selling these items. I'm just looking to know more about what I found at this point.

Brian C. Miller
6-Nov-2013, 21:07
Now that you found some lenses, you will need a camera to go with them. Two of them are 8x10 lenses, and two might cover 8x10, but are probably 5x7. Many here enjoy the 5x7, but there's not too much of a variety of film for it. Oh, and a tripod and a couple of film holders.

Be patient, you might find an 8x10, or a reasonable deal on one.

brandon13
6-Nov-2013, 21:57
Considering this person has just joined the group it does seem quite suspect. I don't doubt that lenses can be found in a garbage bin, but if you bought some lenses at an estate sale and plan on selling them on the auction site then just say so. Honesty is still the best policy.

Jac@stafford.net
7-Nov-2013, 06:36
I'll give you twice what you paid for them! :)

StoneNYC
7-Nov-2013, 07:58
I'll take one of the ones with a shutter ;)

Send me one and then I'll verify you're a real person with real lenses :)

photobymike
7-Nov-2013, 12:36
Hey i threw those out by accident ... email me and i will give you and address to mail them to me

AtlantaTerry
7-Nov-2013, 12:43
Contact your local Police Department to make sure they have not ben reported stolen, that sounds fishy to me.

+1

Taija71A
7-Nov-2013, 15:31
I'll give you twice what you paid for them! :)

I'll take one of the ones with a shutter ;) Send me one and then I'll verify you're a real person with real lenses :)

Hey i threw those out by accident ... email me and i will give you and address to mail them to me

____

Jac WINS!!! (*As he replied first... ) :)

... and Laughter is still the 'Best Medicine'.

________

smallformatjohnny
7-Nov-2013, 17:31
____

Jac WINS!!! (*As he replied first... ) :)

... and Laughter is still the 'Best Medicine'.

________

Aha! and I'm being called the con-man!

Jody_S
7-Nov-2013, 18:38
Aha! and I'm being called the con-man!

I don't think anyone called you a con-man, it's just that there was a serious incident quite recently where someone lost a lot of money to someone who posted almost exactly what you just did. And this is a really odd collection of lenses to find in a trash bag on the side of the road.