PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Bellows for DIY 4X5 ?

deranium
6-Nov-2013, 12:55
Hi I'm new here and fairly new to large format.
I live in Devon, UK.
To cut my teeth I built a 4x5 box camera with a schneider 150mm lens.
This is set to focus on infinity for landscapes and I'm pleased with the way it works so far.
I want to build a 4x5 with bellows so I have a more versatile camera, and can also use the schneider with the front element removed.
I want to build primarily out of wood, to make a flat bed camera for outdoor work.
I don't fancy making the bellows, but I have seen some for sale, these are listed as -

Sinar standard universal multipurpose bellows 4x5 9x12 for P P2 C X F F2

My question is, would these be suitable for the sort of camera I have in mind?
Can they be attached to to wooden standards without too much hassle?

jp
6-Nov-2013, 18:33
ecbuyonline2008 sells quite a few on ebay; never bought bellows from them but have bought other things successfully. With wooden standards, you can use a combination of glue and a retain it with a piece of wood screwed on each of the 4 sides, screwed through the bellows and into the wood standard.

Tin Can
6-Nov-2013, 21:36
I suggest Cambo bellows as they are cheap, available and have a flat matting ends that would be easy to fasten to nearly any camera.

deranium
7-Nov-2013, 02:25
Thanks for the replies. I now realize I need conical shaped bellows, to accomodate the larger rear end, rather than straight ones like the Sinar.
ecbuyonline2008 seems to have quite a selection, I am surprised I haven't stumbled on them before.

Tim Meisburger
7-Nov-2013, 03:01
No, you can use square bellows if you are building the camera. You just make the front the same size as the rear. Just thought I would tell you in case you have a deal on square bellows. Also, of you are building out of wood you can attach virtually any bellows. If you don't want to fuss with bellows, you can google "sliding box camera".

If you have to buy you can find used online sometimes, or use ecbuy (I just got some red ones from him last month).

deranium
7-Nov-2013, 09:54
I assume that conical bellows allow for more lens movement, is this correct?