PDA

View Full Version : Me and my 'dorff V8---17 years

John Kasaian
4-Nov-2013, 17:42
I was cleaning out my old desk (which will become the computer desk,) to move so to make room for my "new" 100 year old roll top desk and I found a receipt from Midwest Photo Exchange for my 'dorff dated 10/29/97.
I missed our anniversary by few days, but this makes 17 years with that fine camera and not the slightest desire to look elsewhere for pure 8x10 joy :cool:
I just wanted to share the love with you guys :o

David Lobato
4-Nov-2013, 18:11
Congratulations. And may you go for at least 17 more years making 8x10 negatives. I'm only in the fourth year with my 1953 V8.

jcoldslabs
4-Nov-2013, 22:43
John, I can relate. Earlier today--no kidding--I unearthed the receipt for my Toyo 45A and two Rodenstock lenses (90mm & 210mm) purchased from 47th Street Photo in NYC in 1988. This is my 25th year with that camera and those lenses and the whole kit is still going strong.

Jonathan

Drew Bedo
5-Nov-2013, 06:39
John:

Congratulations.

With care, both the "new" desk and your 'dorff could easily out last any of us on this forum. We are not really owners of these fine cameras, I feel that we are custodians or caretakers holding them in stewardship for some future "owner" perhaps not yet born.

Congratulations on 17 years.

Drew

unixrevolution
5-Nov-2013, 06:52
I wish I could share the love...but I've only been into large format for a couple of years. I've only been a self-identified Photographer since 2009. But I hope someday I can look back fondly on when I bought my kit, and know I made the right decision.

BrianShaw
5-Nov-2013, 07:35
Hey... you 'dorff and my wife share the same birthday (month and day, not year). We celebrated at a very romantic restaurant. Maybe next year I can take your 'dorff to dinner?

E. von Hoegh
5-Nov-2013, 07:46
I was cleaning out my old desk (which will become the computer desk,) to move so to make room for my "new" 100 year old roll top desk and I found a receipt from Midwest Photo Exchange for my 'dorff dated 10/29/97.
I missed our anniversary by few days, but this makes 17 years with that fine camera and not the slightest desire to look elsewhere for pure 8x10 joy :cool:

I got mine in fall 1988, I'll see if I still have any paperwork.

Drew Wiley
5-Nov-2013, 11:46
You could always trade up to a ULF Elkdorff.

E. von Hoegh
5-Nov-2013, 12:36
You could always trade up to a ULF Elkdorff.

Elk are related to Dears??

jcoldslabs
5-Nov-2013, 12:43
Elk are related to Dears??

No, I think elk are related to mousse. :)

Jonathan

Drew Wiley
5-Nov-2013, 13:57
Well, unfortunately, nobody makes film large enough for a Moosedorff anymore.

Kirk Gittings
5-Nov-2013, 14:23

Back in the day all I wanted was a Dorf. Never got one. Still feel like I missed out on part of my youth.

Vaughn
5-Nov-2013, 14:32
2013 - 1997 = 16

Sweet Sixteen.

But I wonder if I have my Midwest Photo Exchange receipt for my Zone VI 8x10 and the Fuji W 300? It would have been from about the same time as yours...perhaps a year earlier (I bought it with the insurance money when my 5x7 gear was ripped off in 1995.)

E. von Hoegh
5-Nov-2013, 14:49
Well, unfortunately, nobody makes film large enough for a Moosedorff anymore.

And film for the MLF (megalargeformat) Megalocerosdorff is extinct, too.

Drew Wiley
5-Nov-2013, 16:17
Up here at the UCB Palao dept mini-museum they're got a mounted skull and antlers of an Irish Elk .... Now THAT was a biiiiigggg deer!!

Vaughn
5-Nov-2013, 18:09
You have to careful about North American and European elk/moose sizes. European elk film will be too big for North American elk holders, but it will fit in our moose holders.

ROL
5-Nov-2013, 18:24

It seems to me that some enterprising sort is missing out on a golden and lucrative opportunity to make an LF camera you could actually make love to. The Hussie, True Love, Rapture? The mind reels (mine, anyway). LickStarter, anybody?

Tracy Storer
5-Nov-2013, 18:33
Congrats John, keep on making images ! 8x10 is a wonderful format, and a V8 is a great tool. My old LF Art school prof Jim Dow kept two v8s, said "anything worth having one of is worth having two of"
I still only have one, but I keep thinkin'........

John Kasaian
5-Nov-2013, 20:10
OK, 16.:o

Alan Gales
5-Nov-2013, 20:10
Congratulations John. I hope your wife isn't jealous! ;)

They said that Jimmy Hendrix used to sleep with his Fender.

BrianShaw
6-Nov-2013, 07:35

Cradle robber. :)

John Kasaian
6-Nov-2013, 15:26
Cradle robber. :)

Nope. A cougar. She was older than me when I met her;)

Vaughn
6-Nov-2013, 15:30

My boys were born in 1997, so that is what tipped me off. The last time I introduced Bryce to someone, I mentioned that he was 16 -- he quickly corrected me and said he was 16 and a half. Wanting to add a half year to his age will change...LOL!

A few years back I thought I was turning 54...what a nice surprise to re-do the math on my birthday to find I was only 53! It was like be given an extra year of life!

Doug Herta
6-Nov-2013, 21:14
Built the 4X5 Bender in the fall of 1997. It was what I could afford at the time. Took it across the USA, up to Alaska, through Europe and Southeast Asia. It is simple, light, and still takes fine photos. A collection of super-heavy monorails have taken over my basement. Time to get light and free again. Someone want to sell me an 8X10 field camera?

Roger Thoms
6-Nov-2013, 21:47
I should look for the receipt for my Sinar Alpina, I bought it around 1997, still have it, no not as cool as a V-8 but still a great camera. Congratulation on your 16th anniversary, and I hope you are getting through that back stock of film you mentioned in a recent thread.

Roger

uphereinmytree
7-Nov-2013, 06:25
I am the new owner of an old deardorff 8x10 and a 5x7 and wish I had both a while ago. very intuitive camera as my buddy louis pacilla kept telling me a while ago. i'm thinking all the other view cameras will be sad as they sit on the shelf. The 8x10 may be older than I am!

mandoman7
7-Nov-2013, 10:03
Many of us have gone down the same road apparently. Here's the receipt for my purchase in '94 from MPX. Jim had just gotten it in and the the bellows were leaky so he let it go for $725. The gearing was in excellent condition, and once a new bellows was installed, it became a really great user camera.