PDA

View Full Version : Toyo 4-3/4 by 6-1/2

paulr
12-Aug-2004, 15:13
Does anyone know about this funky camera? I bought it used years ago, as my first 4x5 (it came with a 4x5 back) and liked it so much that I never bought a different camera. I've hauled it all over and it's been practically perfect, if a little on the big side. It's made of metal (someone told me magnesium) and seems like it's from the '60s. It has smooth movements, is solid, and has extra extension for the rear standard, which I've never used. There's a non-vigneting rotating back. Takes a speed graphics lens board. It folds up barely over an inch thick.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any information about these cameras, or experience with them. This format size (printed on the back, after "Sakai Special Camera" and "Toyo Field") is something i haven't seen anywhere else.

Thoughts?

tim atherton
12-Aug-2004, 15:24
BTW I think that's half-plate size isn't it?

Martin Courtenay-Blake
12-Aug-2004, 16:47
Yep that is a half plate camera.

These are still common over here in the UKand you will often see quarter, half and full plate cameras around. I have a half plate Kodak special field camera made for the RAF (looks like a 2 or 2D).

Most will take a standard 5 x 7 film or plate holder but there will be a little cut off of the image. I believe some half plate film is still available but there is very little variety. You could try coating your own glass plates as plate holders are often seen on Ebay.

Martin

Ernest Purdum
12-Aug-2004, 18:46
The first "Official" Daguerrotype camera was a 6 1/2" X 8 1/2". (8 1/2" X 6 1/2" in British). Metric sizes were not yet standard in France. When glass plates came in, it became common to buy this size plate and cut them down into halves, quarters and sometimes smaller sizes. At about the turn of the prior century, British cameras were very influential to Japanese camera makers. Even in the 1970's some werre still turning out cameras that, while not exact copies, look very much like ?British designs ca. 1905. At about that time, ssome of the Japanese firms became much more innovative. The Sakai Special Camera Co. was the most so. By 1971, and I think earlier, they had a modern monorail on the market as well as the Toyo Field. advertised as the "World's first all-metal field camera". In addition to the 1/2-plate size, these were made in 4" X 5", 5" X 7", and 6 X 9cm. It is unlikely that the basic camera was made in separate 1/2-plate and 5" 7" sizes, so you camera is almost surely large enough for a 5" X 7" back to be fitted should you ever have the desire to do so. Maybe you could still buy one through Toyo.

In any event, congratulations. You have an interesting and desirable camera and you're happy with it.

Bob._3483
12-Aug-2004, 19:22
Ilford Plates: Ordinary (Yellow Labels): 6 1/2 x 4 3/4 inches = 2/3 per dozen.

Oh, sorry, just noticed, that advert is over 100 years old...

[Translation: 2/3 = 2 shillings and three pence ("two and thruppence" for those of us old enought to remember)...]

Cheers,

Eric Wagner
13-Aug-2004, 06:53
The first version of the Toyo Field Camera was actually a 5x7 camera that could be also purchased with a 4x5 revolving back. The camera weighs about 5 lbs. with the 4x5 back and has 14 inch bellows (11 inches from the front focus knob plus another 3 by extending the back). It took the standard Graphic lens board. The camera was reviewed in the May, 1971 issue of Modern Photography. At that time the camera sold for $150 complete with the 4x5 back and a 150mm Xenar lens. The 5x7 back was an extra $99.50.

paulr
13-Aug-2004, 08:44
" It is unlikely that the basic camera was made in separate 1/2-plate and 5" 7" sizes, so you camera is almost surely large enough for a 5" X 7" back to be fitted should you ever have the desire to do so. Maybe you could still buy one through Toyo."

Very interesting! I'll check with them. No immediate plans to get into 5x7, but I've always liked the idea of it. If Toyo doesn't know have access to any old backs, do you have a suggestion on where else to look?

Paul

Ernest Purdum
13-Aug-2004, 16:31
Paul, you could try a want ad in Camera shopper (see www.camera-shopper.com). If unable to find a genuine Toyo, you could purchase a back on eBay and modify it or get it modified to fit. This is usually a rather straightforward job for a woodworker or machinist. I wouldn't be too worried about winding up with one that didn't work out. Unless you got carried away bidding on it, you dould probably recover close to the same amount by putting it up again. Maybe even more if you give it a good description and photos.

Capt. E
11-Jul-2022, 07:39
This was my favorite camera for a long time. Once while out in Big Bend Nat'l Park, I was set up for a photo of the Chisos and a big gust of wind came and knocked the whole set-up over. No DAMAGE! It is a tough camera. My Tachihara would have been busted. My favorite lenses are two Fuji W...125W and the 250W (the 6.7) which is a great 8x10 lens.

rfesk
11-Jul-2022, 15:19
I have other 4x5 cameras but have settled on using just this one for most of my LF photography. I have also adapted a B&J 5x7 back and a 6x9 back from a Horseman 980 to mine.

Neal Chaves
11-Jul-2022, 17:41
These are good, usable cameras and I like them because they use the Pacemaker Graphic lensboard. Yours already has the 4X5 back. The only issues I have with those original backs is the operation of the bail, which must cross over the ground glass to open. This prevents the use of the many excellent viewing aids later produced by Toyo. First I obtained a Toyo bar lock back plate for it that let me mount late-production Toyo backs. Then, I was able to fit a late Toyo revolving back with the base removed to the original back plate. It doesn't revolve and I don't care, because now I can use my favorite viewers, and have a bail to ease inserting a holder. Best of all, extension has been reduced to allow infinity focus with 47mm Super Angulon XL. Shown is My modification, the Toyo bar lock back plate with late revolver in place, and set up with the 47mm lens. The cameras has plenty of bellows to focus a tight head shot with a 250mm lens. Quite a versatile camera, especially at today's prices.