PDA

View Full Version : Lens Values

Annie M.
1-Nov-2013, 13:46
I am preparing to sell some cameras & lenses and in my attempt to determine rational pricing I am encountering some serious discrepancies in the interpretations of lens value... to the extent of 10x differences. Also, I have some gear that has not had similar recent sales on any of the usual sites.

So..... here is what I am wondering about this afternoon...

On one of the company sites where you plug in your info and they give you a 'buy price' my 180/5.6 Symmar-S came up at about $40... however someone on the auction site was selling one at close to $600.

I need some assistance... just general $ values for a few lenses to start:

Symmar - S 5.6/180 in Compur 1... absolutely mint condition... on Sinar board

Rodenstock Grandagon 4.5/90 in Copal 1 ... absolutely mint condition... on Sinar board

Computar 9/240 barrel absolutely mint.

12 inch Dagor with a 'chip' on the edge the size of a baby tooth... does not seem to effect contrast strangely enough... in a Ilex shutter.

Just want to make sure when I list my gear it is fair pricing... Thanks!!

Also, is there a way to just search the 'For Sale' section of the forum?

Steven Tribe
1-Nov-2013, 14:24
Only reliable sources are sold items list in ebay and the soft focus sales list at CCHarrison's website. I am sure you will find most of these there. Don't be influenced by the listers who have "sucker" prices for items. There are an increasing number of listers who "try it on" with fantasy prices which they repeat month after month and year after year.

Jon Shiu
1-Nov-2013, 14:29
To search a forum, go to that forum, ie For Sale. Then on the right side there is a "search forum" drop down link/box.

Jon

Annie M.
1-Nov-2013, 14:35
I was hoping another reliable source would be the members of the forum!

Jon ... thanks!

Eric Biggerstaff
1-Nov-2013, 15:11
Another good source is KEH, it provides a pretty good example of current market price for lenses based on condition.

BrianShaw
1-Nov-2013, 15:38
... however someone on the auction site was selling one at close to $600.

If you watch that item for a while you'll probably discover that nobody is buying at that price, and the lens is getting listed and re-listed without any interest. As someone else already said -- completed price is the only one to pay attention to.

Jim Noel
1-Nov-2013, 15:38
KEH is an excellent source, but you must remember it is a highly regarded organization, which you are not. No matter how honest you are, you can not compete with such a seller as far as price until you have sold hindreds or thousands of items.

Annie M.
1-Nov-2013, 15:43
Actually I am a highly regarded disorganization!

Steven Tribe
1-Nov-2013, 16:03
Which adds to your charm!

It is difficult to give values here because there is a lot of flux in prices (in and out of fashion) so it is only the lenses we actually own that get registered in our failing memories.

Jim Galli
1-Nov-2013, 16:30
I am preparing to sell some cameras & lenses and in my attempt to determine rational pricing I am encountering some serious discrepancies in the interpretations of lens value... to the extent of 10x differences. Also, I have some gear that has not had similar recent sales on any of the usual sites.

So..... here is what I am wondering about this afternoon...

On one of the company sites where you plug in your info and they give you a 'buy price' my 180/5.6 Symmar-S came up at about $40... however someone on the auction site was selling one at close to $600.

I need some assistance... just general $ values for a few lenses to start:

Symmar - S 5.6/180 in Compur 1... absolutely mint condition... on Sinar board

Rodenstock Grandagon 4.5/90 in Copal 1 ... absolutely mint condition... on Sinar board

Computar 9/240 barrel absolutely mint.

12 inch Dagor with a 'chip' on the edge the size of a baby tooth... does not seem to effect contrast strangely enough... in a Ilex shutter.

Just want to make sure when I list my gear it is fair pricing... Thanks!!

Also, is there a way to just search the 'For Sale' section of the forum?

FWIW, if they were mine, I'd try to get $255 for the 180, $585 for the 4.5 90 $425 for the f9 240, and whether the Dagor is coated / late is a big deal, albeit the chip will equalize a lot of that difference. Maybe $325 for a chipped Dagor?? I may be wrong on some of these. I don't follow modern lenses like I do the soft ones. Trends go hot and cold. The f9 240's used to be HOT. Don't know right now. Good luck.

goamules
1-Nov-2013, 16:31
Or if you aren't sure of the different estimates, and to sell faster and for more money, you could put each of them on ebay with good descriptions and pictures. Use low starting bids and no reserve. That's the way you will make the most, on average, from the lot. One may sell low, one may sell higher, but they'll be the going rate more or less.

Annie M.
1-Nov-2013, 16:44
Thanks for the numbers Jim... yes the 240's were sizzling !!!

Won't see me on ebay... guess it is $1,000,000 OBO... is that against the forum rules?

jp
1-Nov-2013, 16:48
If you look at sold auctions on ebay amongst the completed auctions, disregard the highest ones; I think some of the absurd priced ending auctions might be money laundering.

Good photos and accurate descriptions will sell the lens. A wholesale buyer might offer you a low price if you aren't able to provide any info on how well the shutter works. Someone might have to pay $100-150 to get the shutter serviced if it needs a tuneup. Ebay buyers appreciate frank info about the shutter, like "I don't know how to test it" or some speeds are slow or it works perfectly.

Alan Gales
1-Nov-2013, 16:58
Or if you aren't sure of the different estimates, and to sell faster and for more money, you could put each of them on ebay with good descriptions and pictures. Use low starting bids and no reserve. That's the way you will make the most, on average, from the lot. One may sell low, one may sell higher, but they'll be the going rate more or less.

I'm a small time Ebay Seller of film photography gear and this is excellent advice.

Just to add to it, don't have your sales end on Friday nights or Saturdays. Less people are home and items generally sell for a little less during these times. Personally, I have my auctions end on Tuesday thru Thursday nights around 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. on the West Coast.

Sal Santamaura
1-Nov-2013, 17:08
...guess it is $1,000,000 OBO... is that against the forum rules?Most definitely against the rules' spirit. I wouldn't "test" the moderators with that approach.

Annie M.
1-Nov-2013, 17:08
money laundering...

It is a sad that the mob has infiltrated the large format lens market..... don't anybody move or the Dagor gets it!!

& just a wee joke there Sal....

Sal Santamaura
1-Nov-2013, 17:55
...just a wee joke there Sal....Absent a smiley or the like, I couldn't be sure. Believe it or not, it's been tried before.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Nov-2013, 08:01
For the heck of it, I ran a search on the 'Bay for the 180mm.
Only those that sold, no condition in the search.
See the results here. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=180+5.6+Symmar-S&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=625&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&LH_Auction=1&LH_BIN=1&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=15&_dmd=1&_ipg=100&LH_Complete=1)

Rather shocking, no?

(Nobody I know will consider a description of 'absolute mint', and I mean that as no reflection upon your integrity. Many have become disappointed with sellers' descriptions.)

BrianShaw
2-Nov-2013, 08:21
Not really shocking. The market has shrunk and this is the evidence.

Annie M.
2-Nov-2013, 09:52
With this new information the 180 will not have cleaning wipe marks but there may be some tear-stains!

The 90 has only seen 4 sheets of film.... the 240 has never been used.... in the right light they even smell a bit 'minty'.

I think I will sell as 'absolutely yummy' to avoid disappointment...

Thanks everyone this has been very helpful!

BrianShaw
2-Nov-2013, 10:20
Annie, the primary cause of tear stains when selling old camera gear is the memory of the original purchase price and the memory of what it was once worth. A more detached, academic, and Alzheimer'ish approach helps. It is sad, but remember... that 180 (and the others), no matter how nice and useful it still is, is of interest by a very small proportion of the population and that population knows how old it is. But there are plenty of folks who price gear at exorbitant values on ebay and actually sell them so if that is an approach you want to try you may have very little to loose except a bit of your time.

Annie M.
2-Nov-2013, 10:35
you may have very little to loose except a bit of your time.

That & a chunk of my sweet 'minty' mortal soul!! Fair is fair...

IanG
2-Nov-2013, 12:04
Jim Galli's suggested prices might be a touch more than I'd pay but they are realistic and achievable.

Ian

onnect17
2-Nov-2013, 14:16
only reliable sources are sold items list in ebay and the soft focus sales list at ccharrison's website. I am sure you will find most of these there. Don't be influenced by the listers who have "sucker" prices for items. There are an increasing number of listers who "try it on" with fantasy prices which they repeat month after month and year after year.

ditto!!!

massimodec
5-Nov-2013, 09:51
Annie, I jumped on here a bit late maybe, but I think you deserve some other clues to sell well ....if I'm still in time.
Make good photos of the objects: to let see the quality of surfaces, and even to put in evidence the defects, if any.
This for two reasons: 1. you will appear (more than a very nice person like you appear here) also reliable;
2. for the rules of auction sites, the only way to give back an object is an "incomplete" description. So if the lens is seen from various angles and well described, nobody could claim a trick from you.

I bought lots of lenses and gear on line, and never been disappointed, but also I jump away those with images that never show some zones of the lens.
Unfortunately you don't look to have glass I'm looking for...
Good luck :)

Annie M.
5-Nov-2013, 10:12
Unfortunately you don't look to have glass I'm looking for...

Yes I do.... you just don't realize it !!

Thanks for the clues !!

massimodec
5-Nov-2013, 10:31
Ah Ah Ah ! It was my pleasure! If this was the Zuckerberg place I should put a "like" !

I live in Italy, and I see sales too late, when all games have been done already
I missed everything ... a Taylor Hobson Cooke f3.5 soft focus, and other similar stuff.
I'm too poor now, but my desire is a Heliar with the fuzzulator 300mm.... but now they are "trying" to sell for too much,
and I'm not sure if I desire or not a Kodak portrait lens (I have a good Imagon, I think is the same attitude...)

I quoted all I would like just in case you are plenty of...