PDA

View Full Version : I taught Michelle X-Ray, she taught me.

Tin Can
31-Oct-2013, 09:54
I have no idea where this should be. Maybe here, maybe not. Mods choice.

I had my neighbor help breakin my new darkroom and showed her Large Format X-Ray film process.

This is a link to her blog about my darkroom on her professional website.

The link shows me showing her how to. The session prints came out poorly, but the idea was to demo the process, I was a little unhappy she wanted to shoot her dog...

Michelle Kaffko did a really good job!

http://organicheadshots.com/blog/

William Whitaker
31-Oct-2013, 10:48
I wish I had neighbors like yours!

Jim C.
31-Oct-2013, 13:12
Until I read her blog I wasn't sure what you meant by "shooting her dog" ;)

Tin Can
31-Oct-2013, 13:48
Here's a PM I just received with the name of the sender omitted.

I replied with 'no comment'.

"Hi Randy,

No disrespect... But with all of the equipment that you have at your disposal -- There is no excuse for the Prints to have NOT turned out better!

1). *To begin... 'Proper Lighting' (Of the Subject) is everything!
Without that... To even think that you are going to end of up with good prints from the session...

2). Randy... If you only wanted to make 8x10 Prints... Why did you not choose to enlarge them 1:1???

To think that you would be able to 'Contact Print' them in a Contact Printer (*Without the use of 'extensive' Dodging and Burning -- Is just Plain Ludicrous!!!)...
--

Based upon what Michelle wrote on her Blog... It would appear to me that she should stick to Digital. ARRRRGH!!!
--
What did Michelle teach you? It would appear that she taught you... That she does NOT want to be photographed by you. (*Obviously you were originally hoping/anticipating otherwise???). LOL.
--
Randy, I know that you like Photography (And EQUIPMENT Even More!!!)... But I myself would be 'personally' embarrassed to have documented this in 8x10...
--

>> We used 8×10″ pieces of unexposed film

'Unexposed Film'. No kidding??? I thought that 'Exposed Film' would work just as well!!!
LOLOLOLOLOL...

>> large format cartridges

Cartridges??? Duh!!!!

>> Step 1: set temperature of water to exactly 68 degrees Fahrenheit and get negative development chemicals mixed.

O'ooop's... I didn't know that Photographic Chemistry had to always be exactly 68 Degrees F. Please don't tell all of the other Photographers who use 70 or 72 Degrees... That their Chemistry will NOT work at these Temperatures. ARRRRGH!!!!

>> Step 8: print contact prints in giant sandwich press.

Giant Sandwich Press??? Best used for Grilled 'Panini' Sandwiches of course...
--
I am very sorry Randy... But as you can see... I am obviously unimpressed with this Waste of Time, Effort and Materials...
--
Others (Even yourself) might be happy... But it is stuff like this that actually does a 'disservice' to LF...

Very sorry Randy... But I call things like I see them.
Comments???"

Ken Lee
31-Oct-2013, 13:55
I moved this to the Darkroom forum.

Tin Can
31-Oct-2013, 13:57
Thank you Ken.

I moved this to the Darkroom forum.

William Whitaker
31-Oct-2013, 14:31
Well, I, for one, enjoyed this post and fail to see how it might be construed as a "disservice".

Tin Can
31-Oct-2013, 14:59
Well, he obviously thinks I need to argue with him. More PM nonsense.

Mr PM show yourself here.

"Hi Randy!

You are LAMER! than you even look in your Photographs!
--
You are the one that *First* Posted on the Forum and directed the viewer to Michelle's Blog.

I am very sorry... But YOU put yourself in the 'Line Of Fire'.
--
Once again... I can see that you are not able to even stand up for yourself (Thus I was hoping that you would comment by way of PM)... But you can obviously see -- That I am able to see Right Through You! LOL.
--
WOW! Randy actually knows how to use an 8x10 Camera and can do 'Cheap, El Quicko' Contact Prints (Of the Next Door Neighbor)!

*** I guess that he was actually so proud of himself... That he wanted to post on the LF Forum for 'Commendation'... W*F is up with that Randy???

Did you get your Film Drying Cabinet set up yet??? LOLOLOLOL.

Bye Bye!!!
--
Yes, I am still unimpressed with you lack of Photographic Knowledge. You may think that surrounding yourself with a ROOM full of equipment might look like it makes you a *Photographer* -- But the RESULTS show 'Otherwise'... ARRRRGH!!!

End of Discussion. "

Jim Galli
31-Oct-2013, 15:03
My pictures are crappy!! How come I don't get hate mail??!!

I feel so left out......

Tin Can
31-Oct-2013, 15:06
LOL, good one Jim, I needed that!

These bullies are all the same, they cannot stand up in the light of day.

I think somewhere I stated my goal was one good print before I die. Still working on that one good print.

I feel so left out......

adelorenzo
31-Oct-2013, 15:24
What anon calls a 'waste of time, effort and materials' looks like a hell of a good way to spend an afternoon to me, thanks for sharing that post Randy.

Tim Meisburger
31-Oct-2013, 15:39
And I like the portrait of the dog, even if you did enlarge (?) it to 8x10 in the giant sandwich thingee...

Michael Cienfuegos
31-Oct-2013, 15:57
I also want to thank you for sharing. Mr. Anon Jerk needs to get a life. I really enjoyed Michelle's blog. She sounds like quite a lady, her dog obviously has much more personality than Mr. Jerk. I only wish I could get my dog or cat to cooperate in front of a camera the way Mr. Dog did.

m

uphereinmytree
31-Oct-2013, 16:07
Forget about the hater and keep on promoting large format. I totally enjoyed seeing her blog. Nice darkroom by the way.

Tin Can
31-Oct-2013, 16:10
I'm am ignoring any further PM's from the bully. He just sent another I did not open.

Thanks guys.

Forget about the hater and keep on promoting large format. I totally enjoyed seeing her blog. Nice darkroom by the way.

Tin Can
31-Oct-2013, 16:14
I was very happy to work with Michelle and hope we can do more in the future. We have 3 pro photographers in the building, all making their living at it. I am a hobbiest. Then I could add the 3 moviemakers and several musicians. It is an ideal environment. I have much to learn.

I also want to thank you for sharing. Mr. Anon Jerk needs to get a life. I really enjoyed Michelle's blog. She sounds like quite a lady, her dog obviously has much more personality than Mr. Jerk. I only wish I could get my dog or cat to cooperate in front of a camera the way Mr. Dog did.

m

jnantz
31-Oct-2013, 16:14
hey randy

thanks!
great stuff you posted, and good to see someone shooting digital getting back to her roots.
its about having fun, too bad some folks don't understand that part ...
and there's always going to be cranks, when i posted "azo photograms" back when azo was scarce
and lodima wasn't up and running yet, i got all sorts of "fun" mail ..

john

thomasfallon
31-Oct-2013, 16:15
Looks like a hell of a good way to spend an afternoon to me

My neighbor just wanted to talk politics. Must have been because he is male and does not like dogs.

Andrew O'Neill
31-Oct-2013, 18:52
I enjoyed that, Randy. Thanks for sharing. Those comments weren't from someone on this forum, were they?

TXFZ1
31-Oct-2013, 19:25
I even like the photo of the dog! There seems to be some weird aspect ratio with her photos...maybe just on my ipad.

BTW, you look just like some guy on The Onion!;)

David

jb7
3-Nov-2013, 20:07
I enjoyed that too. Seems if you put your head above the parapet, there will always be some sniper willing to shoot it off.
That's the risk you take on the internet, I suppose.

Everyone has got one, but looks like you've got two ...

tenderobject
3-Nov-2013, 20:37
Pretty nice darkroom you have there Randy!!!

billie williams
3-Nov-2013, 20:46
Thanks for the post, Randy. I always enjoy reading about what you are doing.

ImSoNegative
4-Nov-2013, 04:53
Thanks for the post, very cool, nice darkroom btw. oh yeah picture no. 2 are those the "large format cartriges" she is talking about underneath the enlarger? i love the way non-LFers explain things lol

coisasdavida
4-Nov-2013, 08:23
Thanks for the post! Great afternoon, that's what photography is all about!

Peter De Smidt
4-Nov-2013, 08:48
Good stuff, Randy!

brucetaylor
4-Nov-2013, 10:34
Wow. That anon PM response you got is just plain weird.

Looks like you, your neighbor and her pooch had a wonderful time. That's what its all about, isn't it?

And I liked the portraits, too.

StoneNYC
4-Nov-2013, 11:18
Thanks for the post, very cool, nice darkroom btw. oh yeah picture no. 2 are those the "large format cartriges" she is talking about underneath the enlarger? i love the way non-LFers explain things lol

I agree it's fun to hear how others describe the equipment, and if you grew up in the video game era, the LF holders do kind if look like game "cartridges" haha

As far as the Anon, looks very much like "Taija" type writing or whatever his name is haha, he's kind of intense.

I would agree that I'm surprised you exposed the films so poorly considering how much equipment you seem to have, however I wouldn't be able to calculate bellows that long hah! (I'm a 4x5 only LF photographer...so far). Do you actually know where the mistake was made in exposure?

The Anon message does have a good point about the importance of showing those who are new to film, good results, so they keep them in their periphery as an option, instead of bad results, turning them off from the medium, however I don't think he said this in any useful way.

PS I'll take any 5x7/8x10/cameras/lenses/etc you just don't need ;) it could be so helpful to you to have more space to work in ;)

redshift
4-Nov-2013, 12:58
Looks like a good way to spend an afternoon.

It's amazing the hater attributed all of Michelle's dialog to you. Clearly it was her impressions of the process as she observed it.

adelorenzo
4-Nov-2013, 15:37
The Anon message does have a good point about the importance of showing those who are new to film, good results, so they keep them in their periphery as an option, instead of bad results, turning them off from the medium, however I don't think he said this in any useful way.

OK, where to start...

First of all do you think that anyone can really say they have never made a picture that didn't work out or that they weren't happy with? Seriously, you want us to believe that every time you walk into the darkroom perfection comes out the other side? It's all part of the process and sometimes it's not perfect. I know for a fact if you gave me a pile of 8x10 X-ray film I'd make out a lot worse than Randy did.

Second, you think really think that person walked out of there in disappointment? What about her post makes you think that? It looks like she had an awesome time. Maybe some people on this forum have been at this for far too long to remember that what happens in a darkroom is basically MAGIC the likes of which is rarely seen today. Get rid of the bitterness and judgment and try to remember what it was like the first time you put paper into a developing tray and an image appeared. The best thing about her post was that it's a reminder that making pictures is FUN... and AWESOME...

jvo
4-Nov-2013, 16:40
you can never go wrong with 2 photographers in a darkroom, even all you produce is an empty bottle of wine!;)

what a great neighbor to have - someone who you can share darkroom time with, and writes an interesting blog!

jvo

Eric Rose
4-Nov-2013, 21:58
As with any community we have our share of a-holes as well. I commend your efforts to promote film photography and share "all" the experiences. I would be willing to bet your anon buddy has never posted a pic here or anywhere else for that matter. If they have I would love to be directed to it so I could bask in their brilliance.

StoneNYC
4-Nov-2013, 22:05
OK, where to start...

First of all do you think that anyone can really say they have never made a picture that didn't work out or that they weren't happy with? Seriously, you want us to believe that every time you walk into the darkroom perfection comes out the other side? It's all part of the process and sometimes it's not perfect. I know for a fact if you gave me a pile of 8x10 X-ray film I'd make out a lot worse than Randy did.

Second, you think really think that person walked out of there in disappointment? What about her post makes you think that? It looks like she had an awesome time. Maybe some people on this forum have been at this for far too long to remember that what happens in a darkroom is basically MAGIC the likes of which is rarely seen today. Get rid of the bitterness and judgment and try to remember what it was like the first time you put paper into a developing tray and an image appeared. The best thing about her post was that it's a reminder that making pictures is FUN... and AWESOME...

Breathe,

I think you misunderstand the tone of my writing, I was only saying (calmly) my thoughts, and any practiced photographer (in my opinion) should be able to expose any image properly. And maybe sometimes one comes out with poor contrast or something, but not multiple photos ...

Anyway that's my opinion, everyone messes up, it happens, just wish it was more "successful"

ImSoNegative
5-Nov-2013, 09:22
As with any community we have our share of a-holes as well. I commend your efforts to promote film photography and share "all" the experiences. I would be willing to bet your anon buddy has never posted a pic here or anywhere else for that matter. If they have I would love to be directed to it so I could bask in their brilliance.

+1 Teach us anon...teach us :rolleyes:

ROL
5-Nov-2013, 10:34
Well, he obviously thinks I need to argue with him. More PM nonsense.

Precisely why I closed my PM's here, though the personal intrusion from a prolifically well known member, who simply always has to be right and have the last word, was by any reckoning far less egregious. In my estimation, with few exceptions, nothing can be said privately that cannot also be posted in full view. While I have referred to this incident obliquely and often here on LFPF, I was the recipient of a much more outrageous attack earlier in the millennium when I first joined APUG. It was unknown to me at that time that this wretch, presumably a failed painter and hacker, had been trolling photography forums exclaiming that photography could not, nor ever be, art, and that no one practicing such a banal form could ever consider themselves to be an artist. The attacks came annonymously directly to my personal email. The threatening, profanity laced, style so disturbed me that I closed my account, and only reopened under a different name in 2005, eventually accepting that one has to either stand up to these internet–come–lately bullies or ignore them. Not contributing where I personally felt I could make a difference seemed simply to be a cowardly response. And don't even get me started on YouTube comments. Unfortunately for the (few;)) appreciative, I'll never post another video allowing them. No good deed ever goes unpunished.

redshift
5-Nov-2013, 12:22
It's amazing the lengths these people will go to make the world miserable while hiding behind the cloak of free speech.

Jody_S
5-Nov-2013, 23:21
Sounds like a fun afternoon. Reminds me of the time when I was a teenager, I managed to get a girl I had a crush on to stay late after school and come with me into the school darkroom for a printing session. Once there, I.... printed a bunch of negs. I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, I guess.

StoneNYC
6-Nov-2013, 00:54
Sounds like a fun afternoon. Reminds me of the time when I was a teenager, I managed to get a girl I had a crush on to stay late after school and come with me into the school darkroom for a printing session. Once there, I.... printed a bunch of negs. I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, I guess.

Did it work?? Are you guys married now? :)

Jody_S
6-Nov-2013, 08:05
Did it work?? Are you guys married now? :)

No. But I do still have a few photos of her.

StoneNYC
6-Nov-2013, 14:28
No. But I do still have a few photos of her.

You should post some :)

Wait this was in highschool it college? Well, if they are interesting it would be really fun to see your "early work" :)

MDR
6-Nov-2013, 15:01
Great Model (Dog), Michelle seems to have had a lot of fun and that's the only thing that matters. Also the darkroom is one of the last remaining places where magic happens.

Jody_S
6-Nov-2013, 18:17
You should post some :)

Wait this was in highschool it college? Well, if they are interesting it would be really fun to see your "early work" :)

I was 13 I think. I haven't posted any of my early work here because it's all 35mm, of course, but I can have a look through the archives tomorrow. I'm sure I've scanned a couple.

StoneNYC
6-Nov-2013, 22:14
I was 13 I think. I haven't posted any of my early work here because it's all 35mm, of course, but I can have a look through the archives tomorrow. I'm sure I've scanned a couple.

Haha did you at least get a kiss?

ShawnHoke
7-Nov-2013, 18:45
Great Model (Dog), Michelle seems to have had a lot of fun and that's the only thing that matters. Also the darkroom is one of the last remaining places where magic happens.

I was going to say exactly this. Looks like fun time was had by all, Randy. Nice job!

Tin Can
9-Nov-2013, 10:53
Thanks everybody, except you know who. We did have good a time, and I will continue. :)

Nigel Smith
10-Nov-2013, 16:49
There seems to be some weird aspect ratio with her photos...maybe just on my ipad.

no, I noticed that too (viewing on a PC)

as for the actual topic of this thread... I enjoyed reading her version of the day. She seemed enthusiastic about it and that's good!

Colin Robertson
10-Nov-2013, 17:14
Hey, Randy, I love your Franken-lab. Damn good getting the dog in frame and sharp. One day I'll post my cat photos . . .
Sounds like your enjoying what you do, and what can be better than that?

StoneNYC
10-Nov-2013, 20:35
no, I noticed that too (viewing on a PC)

as for the actual topic of this thread... I enjoyed reading her version of the day. She seemed enthusiastic about it and that's good!

Might be just a crop done in a simple program that doesn't hold an aspect ratio locked?

Michael Cienfuegos
12-Nov-2013, 10:24
Hey, Randy, I love your Franken-lab. Damn good getting the dog in frame and sharp. One day I'll post my cat photos . . .
Sounds like your enjoying what you do, and what can be better than that?

Cat photos? How do you manage it, do you give her ativan? We took photos for the cats for a Christmas card, took over 100 shots to get maybe three keepers. Had to go digital for that job. The older kitty was difficult at best, the kitten was a total pain.

Michael Cienfuegos
12-Nov-2013, 10:55

I feel so left out......

LOL! LOL! :o

Tin Can
12-Nov-2013, 13:43
I'm new to hate mail, so I was shocked.

Still not LOL.

Just sad. :)

LOL! LOL! :o

StoneNYC
12-Nov-2013, 13:46

Still not LOL.

Just sad. :)

There some kind of saying that says that when people start to dislike you in a direct manner, it's really a compliment because they're jealous of your success. Just keep that in mind and maybe won't be sad anymore :)

Tin Can
12-Nov-2013, 15:36
Thanks Stone!

Colin Robertson
12-Nov-2013, 16:56
Michael-
Secrets of LF cat photography;
Wait for warm summer day. Feed cat favourite snack [ prawn/ chicken/ ground beef as appropriate]
Entice cat into sunshine. Await post prandial grooming and snooze.
Shoot fast!!!!!

Randy
16-Nov-2013, 19:26

Still not LOL.

Just sad. :)Randy, some of us, me included, will never get used to receiving hate mail. Even when it comes from someone we have never met...never will meet, it still hurts.

BTW, my dark room (small bathroom tub and sink) hates your darkroom...probably out of jealousy.

Racer X 69
16-Nov-2013, 20:08
Looks like you two had a great time Randy. Oh and the dog too. I especially liked the part where the dog wanted more treats.