View Full Version : Light meter for cut film holder slot

smithdoor
31-Oct-2013, 09:36
Why is hard to find a Light meter for cut film holder slot
With this no calculations for bellows and filters

Dave

Jim Noel
31-Oct-2013, 10:31
Sinar made one which used a Gossen meter.

Mark Sampson
31-Oct-2013, 10:47
Horseman made one as well.

BrianShaw
31-Oct-2013, 10:55
expensive

Bob Salomon
31-Oct-2013, 12:08
Prontor had one as well that also used the Gossen probe.

Bob Salomon
31-Oct-2013, 12:14
Why is hard to find a Light meter for cut film holder slot
With this no calculations for bellows and filters

Dave

Not quite that simple. They had some thickness and displaced the gg so you were not looking at an in focus image unless the camera had a special back. ANd then it may not have been reading exactly at the film plane. Was also a small spot that required a lot of multiple readings.

An easier way was the Linhof Metrering/Focusing bellows that attached to the back side of the gg/Fresnel holder and accepted the Gossen Microscope adapter. This let you read the exposure throught the gg/Fresnel and the image was in focus. If you pressed it against the gg/Fresnel you read a spot about the size of a quarter. If you pulled it out and away from the gg/Fresnel you could read the entire gg.

All you had to do was read a gray card under the lighting you wanted directly with the meter and then re-read the card through the gg/Fresnel. The difference in the readings was due to the absorbtion of the gg/Fresenel and you set that in the meter as a filter factor. Then the readings would be dead accurate with any lens as long as you used the same gg/Fresnel on the camera.

Tin Can
31-Oct-2013, 12:20
And every Horseman FP meter I see for sale says it's not working.

So it's low on my list of Horseman desirables.

Waiting for a little Horseman to be delivered right now...

Horseman made one as well.

Len Middleton
31-Oct-2013, 12:46
PHSC (Photographic Historical Society of Canada) had their Fall Fair photo flea market in Toronto last weekend, and at one table was the Gossen / Sinar metering unit with the 4x5 cassette, the Minolta / Sinar metering probe with a Minolta meter (no cassette), and a Gossen Profi-flex fibre optics extension for the Profisix and Mastersix meters.

Given the price difference (less than $100, versus around $200), I got the fibre optic extension to use with my Profisix and will see how that goes.

I do expect that it will not replace my Pentax digital spotmeter for general use though...

Andrew O'Neill
31-Oct-2013, 12:56
I do expect that it will not replace my Pentax digital spotmeter for general use though...

Len, just incase it does... ;)

Drew Bedo
1-Nov-2013, 06:19
Dave:

I have a Sinar Booster-1 probe with the 4x5 probe holder cassett. The probe plugs into a Minolta autometer.

If you are interested, PM me here.