PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 Ektar 100: Special order through Canham cameras

Daniel Stone
30-Oct-2013, 10:22
Hey all,

I've just received an email from Keith Canham regarding the start of a special order list for Kodak Ektar 100 in 5x7.

Please contact Keith if you would like to get added to the list on this co-op:
kodakfilm@canhamcameras.com

An estimated 38 boxes will be needed to put this order into motion.
Contact Keith regarding exact pricing, but I was quoted "assuming it'll be less than the recent order of Portra 400 5x7 which was completed @ $383/box"

thx,
Dan

thomasfallon
30-Oct-2013, 16:55
Thanks for the heads up. I just emailed Canham.

Hey all,

I've just received an email from Keith Canham regarding the start of a special order list for Kodak Ektar 100 in 5x7.

Please contact Keith if you would like to get added to the list on this co-op:

An estimated 38 boxes will be needed to put this order into motion.
Contact Keith regarding exact pricing, but I was quoted "assuming it'll be less than the recent order of Portra 400 5x7 which was completed @ $383/box"

thx,
Dan

altec2
24-Feb-2014, 13:19
Did this ever go anywhere?

What do you guys typically do for color 5x7 film nowadays?

Jim Andrada
24-Feb-2014, 17:41
I'm using 5 x 7 Fuji Provia. It's still available from Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo. I order it and get it delivered to my client's house in Japan and he brings it over when he makes a business trip, or I pick it up when I go to Tokyo. It may be going out of production soon though, if it hasn't already.

Daniel Stone
24-Feb-2014, 20:53
Did this ever go anywhere?

What do you guys typically do for color 5x7 film nowadays?

This special order for Ektar 100 in 5x7 is still "in the works"(but seems to have not gained steam unfortunately) according to Keith Canham.

Sad, as I hoped there would have been more 5x7 shooters interested in a FANTASTIC color emulsion, without having to resort to cutting down 8x10 film(like I've been doing thus far with my stockpile of 8x10 color film)

Soooo, if you're interested in joining the club, send Keith an e-mail and lock in a number of box(es) you're willing to buy.

cheers,
Dan

altec2
24-Feb-2014, 22:18
Hey thanks. I emailed Keith and got the word. There is an ongoing list of orders for 2 types of 5x7 color films (Portra 160 and Ektar 100). I put one down for Ektar 100 but the orders have to slowly build up before he can place a bulk order. Slowly but surely and I'm in no dire need.

In fact, if someone was in dire need, i have a one inner bag (open box but haven't touched the second inner bag) of Portra 160 5x7 (25 sheets) that I could part with in the short term and then would just get on the Keith waiting list for that too.

gregmo
24-Feb-2014, 23:10
I'm on the list for Ektar.

I still have a little more then 1 box remaining of Portra 160 that I picked up while it was still available thru retailers.

DolphinDan
25-Feb-2014, 19:16
I have a couple of boxes of Fuji VELVIA 100 and PROVIA 100F and (I think) 1 box of Kodak PORTRA 160. According to JAPAN EXPOSURES (http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/film/sheet-film/?subcats=Y&features_hash=V249), Fuji is no longer making VELVIA or PROVIA in 5x7.

I am on the list for Keith Canham's 5x7 EKTAR 100 order. Not a rush, but I do prefer EKTAR to PORTRA for shooting landscapes (which is what I usually shoot in 5x7).

Namaste
Daniel

Jim Andrada
25-Feb-2014, 22:50
Yodobashi Camera was showing 5 x 7 Provia in stock as of a few days ago, but I think they're working off their remaining inventory because the last time I ordered they would only sell me 1 box. So of course I had a few of my friends in Japan order it for me and I think I have a total of four or five boxes now sitting at my friend's house in Tokyo in addition to the two boxes I have here. Should do me until I'm to old to carry the camera. (And yes, I have a stack of E-6 kits sitting here as well.)

Daniel Stone
25-Feb-2014, 23:05
TBH, cutting down 8x10 just ISN'T that hard. Even for 8x10 Ektar, it takes about 45mins(and now even less(30?) since I'm not fumbling around by feel, since I have a nightvision monocle!) to cut down 10 sheets to 5x7. Not very hard. Put on some music, down the lights and off you go.

8x10 Provia is easy to source, as is 8x10 Ektar 100, Portra 160 and Portra 400. Even the last run of 8x10 160NS is still easily sourced from Japanese sellers on ebay. Cut it down to whatever size you want to, it's just more versatile that way(heck even cutting 4x5 from 8x10!)

just my experience, since I didn't want to have to wait for enough people to cast a line in the pond to get color film in my cameras. Now if I want some more film, I buy it or remove a box from the freezer and chop it down

-Dan

StoneNYC
26-Feb-2014, 10:08
TBH, cutting down 8x10 just ISN'T that hard. Even for 8x10 Ektar, it takes about 45mins(and now even less(30?) since I'm not fumbling around by feel, since I have a nightvision monocle!) to cut down 10 sheets to 5x7. Not very hard. Put on some music, down the lights and off you go.

8x10 Provia is easy to source, as is 8x10 Ektar 100, Portra 160 and Portra 400. Even the last run of 8x10 160NS is still easily sourced from Japanese sellers on ebay. Cut it down to whatever size you want to, it's just more versatile that way(heck even cutting 4x5 from 8x10!)

just my experience, since I didn't want to have to wait for enough people to cast a line in the pond to get color film in my cameras. Now if I want some more film, I buy it or remove a box from the freezer and chop it down

-Dan

Also there's the Chamonix 5x8 camera ;)

This camera was specifically designed as 5x8 so that an 8x10 sheet could be easily cut in half without the fuss of cutting the end bit, you can always crop that inch out later as well :)

I don't have one, but I doubt many people know about the camera so I figured I would mention it.

Daniel Stone
26-Feb-2014, 12:23
Also there's the Chamonix 5x8 camera ;)

This camera was specifically designed as 5x8 so that an 8x10 sheet could be easily cut in half without the fuss of cutting the end bit, you can always crop that inch out later as well :)

I don't have one, but I doubt many people know about the camera so I figured I would mention it.

Yes, I considered that, but the 5x7 ratio works for my vision, and it's format(5x7) is almost identical to the 6x8 Fuji I use. It's nice being able to compose with the same format/ratio, but with the convenience of roll(or sheet) film. I use what works.

Also, since I'm not in the position to have a nicely set up darkroom w/ the Jobo, E-6 and C-41 chems mixed, etc., I'm sending out for my processing right now. That means Dip-n-Dunk processing, and the two labs that I use for E-6 and C-41 don't have racks for 5x8" film. 5X7" yes, but not 5x8". One of them(www.data-chrome.com) even made a 5x7 rack for me, simply because I gave her enough pestering to do so(kidding, her husband can weld stainless steel I guess, so he made/mod'd one of her Refrema racks to accomodate 5x7 film). My other lab(www.iconla.com) already has 5x7 racks, and I use them for C-41 processing.

If I wasn't moving(and with said move, going to be in a "mobile" state for the next few years, no putting down roots) I'd be investing in a full-on Jobo ATL unit w/ drums for both film and print processing. Not a doubt. But I have to get the cheese together to pay for that, not to mention a place to put it long-term ;). Hence my move(easier @ 25yo then @ 45yo I say!).

-Dan

StoneNYC
26-Feb-2014, 16:16
Yes, I considered that, but the 5x7 ratio works for my vision, and it's format(5x7) is almost identical to the 6x8 Fuji I use. It's nice being able to compose with the same format/ratio, but with the convenience of roll(or sheet) film. I use what works.

Also, since I'm not in the position to have a nicely set up darkroom w/ the Jobo, E-6 and C-41 chems mixed, etc., I'm sending out for my processing right now. That means Dip-n-Dunk processing, and the two labs that I use for E-6 and C-41 don't have racks for 5x8" film. 5X7" yes, but not 5x8". One of them(www.data-chrome.com) even made a 5x7 rack for me, simply because I gave her enough pestering to do so(kidding, her husband can weld stainless steel I guess, so he made/mod'd one of her Refrema racks to accomodate 5x7 film). My other lab(www.iconla.com) already has 5x7 racks, and I use them for C-41 processing.

If I wasn't moving(and with said move, going to be in a "mobile" state for the next few years, no putting down roots) I'd be investing in a full-on Jobo ATL unit w/ drums for both film and print processing. Not a doubt. But I have to get the cheese together to pay for that, not to mention a place to put it long-term ;). Hence my move(easier @ 25yo then @ 45yo I say!).

-Dan

Good luck in your travels.

Of course many have a darkroom in their mobile home :)

I also recommend Praus, they are very good and prices are excellent.

http://www.4photolab.com/pricing/

E-6

4x5
$2.75
5x7
$4.75
8x10
$5.75
11x14
$15.00

C-41

4x5
$2.95
5x7
$4.50
8x10
$5.50

gregmo
11-Aug-2014, 12:28
Sharing an update to the 5x7 Ektar co-op thru Keith Canham. He placed the order with Kodak today. He will have some extra boxes available for anyone who is interested.

Liquid Artist
16-Aug-2014, 11:43
I just received my first 5x7 yesterday. I wonder if this is a sign.