PDA

View Full Version : Fujichrome Velvia 50 sheet film

jasonrjonesphotography
30-Oct-2013, 08:30
Currently FujiFilm Japan is producing Velvia 50 and 100 sheet film but it is only available in Japan. I have found several sellers on eBay who will ship to the US but the coast is $135 a box for 4x5. Does anyone have a bead on a better source? Are there that many more large format photographers in Japan than in the US? I would think if the demand was high enough Fuji would begin shipping to the US again.

Daniel Stone
30-Oct-2013, 10:07
Japan is a "funny company" according to a number of dealers I've spoken with regarding this issue.
According to a FUJI rep here in the USA I spoke with directly, he even stated that Fuji USA often has no warning or preemptive alert to what Fuji Japan will do in regards to products or changes in their business model. Truly a "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, better yet, that a right hand even exists!"

I'd love to get 5x7 Provia 100F myself, heck even Velvia 50. I can't imagine it's THAT HARD for a co-op to be put together once or twice a year to get a special order together. But if Fuji USA can't even talk directly with Fuji Japan, then it's truly a "F.U.B.A.R." situation IMO ;)

I've spoken with Keith Canham regarding this, here's an excerpt from a recent email I had with him about this same issue:

"Dan;
I don't want to sound discouraging, but don't get your hopes up. I have seen Fuji turn down doing a special run of sheet film even after the person offered to purchase $200,000.00 of the film. Then again, Fuji had done a special run of film for a photographer in Japan and the order was not some unimaginable amount. Maybe it takes some sort of close personal relationship with someone in power at Fuji. Fuji is a very strange company."

-Dan

Drew Wiley
30-Oct-2013, 13:17
I've dealt with Japanese manufacturers enough on special requests to understand the whole "lost in translation" effect in what are typically very hierarchical situations with a lot of intermediate steps. When you personally know the dude on top, things go very fact. Otherwise.... await until the tectonic plates collide. Once you psychoanalyze Ektar, you might not need even need a chrome film.

Daniel Stone
30-Oct-2013, 13:50
I've dealt with Japanese manufacturers enough on special requests to understand the whole "lost in translation" effect in what are typically very hierarchical situations with a lot of intermediate steps. When you personally know the dude on top, things go very fact. Otherwise.... await until the tectonic plates collide. Once you psychoanalyze Ektar, you might not need even need a chrome film.

I'm still "psychoanalyzing" ;). Trouble is, I still like looking at positives on a lightbox ;)
Ektar 100 scans like nobody's business though. Very clean(again, when processed correctly and exposed correctly as well, I rate mine @ 50 to get enough low-value separation)

-Dan

Rollinhofuji
19-Dec-2013, 06:17
Might be an old story for you, but I recently called Fuji Germany, since I noticed that Velvia 50 4x5 was also discontinued over here. At least, the guy at the phone knew about it - and more or less confirmed the "Fuji Experience": He said it might be back some time, he definitely would not call it "gone forever" - whatever this means.

Meanwhile, I am considering moving to Velvia 100 4x5 (not 100F), which continues to be available in Germany (as long as...). It also continues to get more expensive every day. Fuji guy said he thinks film will be available for a very long time from Fuji, but also for a very high price.

Regards,
Jan

vinny
19-Dec-2013, 09:33
Best source= my freezer. I stocked up when it was almost free (and a lot free that has been given to me). Keep your eues peeled for expired stuff here and elsewhere. I've only got a few hundred sheets so mine isn't for sale.

Leigh
19-Dec-2013, 15:33
... Velvia 100 4x5 (not 100F) ...
What's the difference?

- Leigh

Daniel Stone
19-Dec-2013, 15:43
What's the difference?

- Leigh

Velvia 100(F) is a little lower in saturation and slightly lower in overall contrast(although we all know that the lighting conditions and SBR account for contrast the most).

Many folks have taken up Velvia 100 in lieu of RVP50 and it's hit-or-miss availability the past few years. Many have found that the colors are similar(although IME, NOT exactly the same in rendering/separation of tones), a 1-stop(at least) boost in ASA rating, finer grain, and greater availability across the market compared to Velvia 50.

Leigh
19-Dec-2013, 15:55
Thank you very much, Dan.

I've noted that some films are available in both versions, some in only the F type. I didn't know why.

- Leigh

vinny
19-Dec-2013, 19:58
V100 turns your shadows red and overall handles reddish tones differently than rvp. Not that this answers your question. I don't like the 100 but I keep a couple holders with me when I need the speed.

StoneNYC
19-Dec-2013, 20:40
Best source= my freezer. I stocked up when it was almost free (and a lot free that has been given to me). Keep your eues peeled for expired stuff here and elsewhere. I've only got a few hundred sheets so mine isn't for sale.

Oh poor you, "hundreds" of sheets... I have 10....

Shootar401
19-Dec-2013, 23:09
I've got a whopping 7 sheets left of Velvia 50 in 4x5. Luckily I just bought a box of 20 in 8x10, so I should be all set till Summer.

StoneNYC
19-Dec-2013, 23:26
I've got a whopping 7 sheets left of Velvia 50 in 4x5. Luckily I just bought a box of 20 in 8x10, so I should be all set till Summer.

Even if I had an 8x10 I couldn't afford that box! Hah!

Kodachrome25
21-Dec-2013, 02:17
And it is about to get even more expensive, U.S. prices will increase 10% in April:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/press/news/display_news?newsID=880552

I'm set with Fuji product thankfully...

StoneNYC
21-Dec-2013, 08:04
And it is about to get even more expensive, U.S. prices will increase 10% in April:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/press/news/display_news?newsID=880552

I'm set with Fuji product thankfully...

Darn!

They just had one! :(

Michael Cienfuegos
23-Dec-2013, 09:35
I still have an unopened box of Velvia 50 Quickloads in my freezer.

StoneNYC
23-Dec-2013, 10:57
I still have an unopened box of Velvia 50 Quickloads in my freezer.

Want my address Santa? LOL

dave clayton
23-Dec-2013, 11:21
fujifilm uk are a bloody pain, I'm after some neopan cannot get it in the uk at all so if any guys in the US fancy helping me out and sending a box over let me know

StoneNYC
23-Dec-2013, 11:54
fujifilm uk are a bloody pain, I'm after some neopan cannot get it in the uk at all so if any guys in the US fancy helping me out and sending a box over let me know

Neopan400 or Neopan Acros100?

dave clayton
23-Dec-2013, 12:00
Neopan Acros 100 can you get the neopan 400 in 4x5 ?

StoneNYC
23-Dec-2013, 13:12
Neopan Acros 100 can you get the neopan 400 in 4x5 ?

Not to my knowledge, which is why I was confused and questioning at first, as when I speak of Neopan, I mean 400, and when I speak of Acros I mean 100 but that's just me and probably not everyone.

Anyway yes for $55 or so US I can buy a box of Neopan Acros100 Plus shipping, you can too however, just go to

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/706857-REG/Fujifilm_15058064_4x5_Neopan_Acros_100.html

And have it shipped to your location, I think that would be cheaper then having to have it purchased by me, and then having to ship it to my house, and then having to ship it to Europe, that seems silly, just order it yourself and pay the extra shipping?

Though I'm surprised you can't find it in Europe there should be many European retailers that are online that could easily ship it for cheaper?

dave clayton
23-Dec-2013, 13:16
if its sent as a gift i may be able to dodge the import tax

Michael Cienfuegos
23-Dec-2013, 14:08
Want my address Santa? LOL

Who's Santa? :confused: My girl friend got my two tone Rolex.

m

(PM me)