PDA

View Full Version : Opinion... Wista 45DX II Worth?

dodphotography
30-Oct-2013, 05:39
I have been offered a Wista 45DX II with a whole slew of accessories for roughly 1400 USD... what are your thoughts?

I am looking to:

reduce weight and purchase a camera that will fold to a compact size. My current 8x10 does not fold and I have found bringing the camera on the trail to be possible but gut wrenching work. My last session lasted 5 hours and only 3 plates were made.

Would ideally like to keep my budget low, the brand new field cameras today are a bit tough to swallow price wise. Canham 8x10 coming in at nearly 4 grand!

Toyon
30-Oct-2013, 06:37
I found 8x10 to have more disadvantages than advantages in the field. The Wista appears to be a good camera, but there are several metal cameras that seem equally robust. Don't quibble over a pound or two of weight.

dodphotography
30-Oct-2013, 08:43
(Mod action: Commericial content removed per guidelines)
Is it cherry or rosewood?

Rosewood with two lenses, gitzo tripod, and two lenses... Plus a whole slew of holders

dodphotography
30-Oct-2013, 08:45
I found 8x10 to have more disadvantages than advantages in the field. The Wista appears to be a good camera, but there are several metal cameras that seem equally robust. Don't quibble over a pound or two of weight.

I'm not up to speed with LF cameras. Any recommendations of metal bodies that are around that price?

peter schrager
30-Oct-2013, 09:59
I've had a wista for almost thirty years..you can't go wrong...go make pictures they are great cameras!!
Best, Peter

dodphotography
30-Oct-2013, 11:34
I've had a wista for almost thirty years..you can't go wrong...go make pictures they are great cameras!!
Best, Peter

trying my friend, the 8x10 in the fields is a no fun game!

between my dark tent and all the other do-dads I thought I was going to have a heart attack coming almost a mile off trail

Pete Watkins
30-Oct-2013, 11:48
I've had a Wista DX since the 1990's and it's a great little camera. If you intend to use the international back with roll film holders check that the springs are OK. It's the only problem that I've had. It can take a 65mm SA lens but with very limited movements. Remember, it's not the weight of the camera that knackers ya but all the other stuff.
Pete.

gnuyork
30-Oct-2013, 12:12
I have a Wista DX. I have not used any other 4x5 camera, so I cannot compare (except my 4x5 pinhole camera). But it it light and folds up nice and compact.

dodphotography
1-Nov-2013, 09:25
Pulled the Trigger... 1200 shipped

•Wista Rosewood 45 DX II
•Nikkor 135 f5.6 (copal 0) on metal lens board (52mm filter).
•Schneider 210 f9 G claron (copal 1) on wood lens board (49mm filter supplied with 49-52 adapter) Shown mounted on camera.
•3 foot square super light weight and compact dark cloth with velcro attachments.
•Pentax digital spot meter with case and belt loop hook.
•7 x magnifier with lanyard and case.
•Stroboframe QR plates and receiver.
•Tamrac backpack with custom tripod straps on bottom (can be released while wearing pack).
•Gitzo 126 (metal) tripod with two section center column, short column and Slik standard head. (Wieight with head and QR plate - 3 lbs 14 oz). Legs are taped to prevent scratching when dropping pack with tripod attached.
•7 - 4x5 film holders.
•Zone VI pocket spiral notebook with a ton of extra pages (not shown)
•Two extra copal #0 lens boards - one centered, one offset (metal). One copal #3 wood lens board.(not shown)
•Nikon cable release and mechanical self timer (not shown)
•3 Hard cover Ansel Adams books The Negative, Camera and Print (if you want them).