PDA

View Full Version : Steam engines, period and new trains in New Mexico

Nature Photo
11-Aug-2004, 16:58
Will be visiting New Mexico next week, and noticed references about its rich railroad history in the general travel guides I've been reading. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions about places where one could photograph period steam engines (or other subjects related to RR history) in Northern NM. Many thanks.

Mateo_4519
11-Aug-2004, 17:55
Cumbres and Toltec narrow gauge railroad, Chama NM.

Vince Pulvirenti
11-Aug-2004, 19:12
Durango & Silverton, Durango

bob moulton
11-Aug-2004, 19:29
try also the railroad and station at Chama. Both are open during the day, and access to the cars is free. Wonderful litle town and nicely mantained railroad equipment. The equipment is maintained by a group of volunteers.

Vera, a restaurant on the east side of the town, has good food!

bob

Jay M. Packer
11-Aug-2004, 21:03
For more information, see

www.traincams.net

The environs around the Chama terminus are significantly more photogenic than the Antonito depot.

Blake
12-Aug-2004, 17:57
i'm from around those parts. once saw a photo of the dorsey mansion spur prior to statehood. the territorial railroad caboose, sorry, can't remember the company name, had swastika banners, black in a white circle which all sat upon what looked to be a red background. creeped me out. not nearly as creepy as the mansion though.

eat at the ecklund,

me

http://www.sla.purdue.edu/WAAW/Sandweiss/fig10.html

p.s. a friend of dad's once told me an amazing story about capulin. seems he grew up in the town of capulin, yes, in the shadow of the mount. well, he and his pards got quite debauched one night in their senior year. remember now, this was long before it became a national park and the lack of wherewithal out yonderways is intense. and remember too, since the dawn of man, boys will be boys. so, in their stupor, one decided it'd be fun to pull a prank. and off, they loaded several pickup beds full of old tires, drove to the rim of the extinct volcano and dumped the tires in. drunkenly stumbled after the rolling tires with jerrycans full of gas and lit the mass afire. three towns were evacuated. think of them when you drive up to the summit. they built the rock wall that protects the road as penance.

great stuff all around and nearby, not just a few miles into the oklahoma panhandle sits black mesa. a nice, old Rock Island station converted into a home is perched above the lake there. very photogenic. the t-rex footprints in a riverbed nearby make for fine photos too. have fun. and don't forget to eat at the ecklund.

Nature Photo
13-Aug-2004, 00:22
Thank you all for your replies! Contributors like you guys make this forums worth coming back to!

bob woitaszewski
18-Aug-2004, 17:26
I seem to remember that Steve Simmons the publisher from View Camera magazine takes a lot of locomotive photo's and he currently lives in NM

www.viewcamera.com