PDA

View Full Version : Greg Millers 8x10 "Italians" work

tim atherton
11-Aug-2004, 16:50
At the Digital Journalist

-Peter Howes write up:

The love and passion that Greg Miller so masterfully captures on his 8x10 camera is that of the ebullient citizens of his wife's native land —Italy. Since this is summer, and we all need a vacation from war and politics, Miller's celebration of the delights of this wonderful country are refreshing and insightful. I don't think it's coincidental that opera found its highest expression in Italy, and Greg's photographs display all of the drama and posturing of life there, along with the Italians' innate sense of fun.

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0408/miller_intro.html

SHould have added that it's called "Primo Amore"

Michael E. Gordon
11-Aug-2004, 23:16
I really like his style. Thanks for posting this.

Deniz
12-Aug-2004, 00:53
Very nice work indeed. I had a hard time convincing my lady that they were shot on 8x10 film. They look very candid like.. i am loving series..

Deniz

Michael Veit
12-Aug-2004, 04:16
Great link, Tim. Masterful use of DOF.

David A. Goldfarb
12-Aug-2004, 05:57
That show got a featured listing in _The Village Voice_. I hadn't realized at the time that it was shot on 8x10". I should try to see it.

QT Luong
13-Aug-2004, 18:50
Beautiful. It is interesting to note that while often the LF camera is used for its ability to render subjects sharp, it is the use of blurred areas characteristic of the shallow DOF of larger formats that set apart those images apart from what could be achieved with a smaller format.

Jorge Gasteazoro
13-Aug-2004, 19:51
Normally I ignore Atherton's posts, but this is truly wonderful photography, thanks for the link.

Ellis Vener
16-Aug-2004, 20:13
It is funny --and telling--that everyone so far comments on the technical qualities of t miller's work but not on the emotional & psychological aspects, which I find far more interesting. In a formal sense the work reminds of what Nicholas Nixon and Joel Meyerowitz have been doing for years with more than a touch of , for lack of a better term, a "commercial' or "advertising' sensibility.