PDA

View Full Version : Report from Photo Expo plus NYC re film and analog photography

koh303
24-Oct-2013, 16:22
Report from Photo Expo plus NYC re film and analog photography
See the full post and photos here:
http://processorparts.blogspot.com/2013/10/photo-expo-plus-2013-report-film-is.html

Photo Expo Plus 2013 report: Film is alive and well in NYC
CatLABS was at the Photo Expo Plus show at NYC today, and found many exciting things.

First off we had a chance to meet Keith Canham from KB Canham cameras, who is teamed up with Kodak to help supply Ultra large format film and film cut in less popular sizes to photographers who otherwise would have to order entire production runs from Kodak. He is also a heck of a guy to talk with and learn from. At the Kokdak booth where we met Keith, the Kodak crew, the same people we saw last year, were at the same level of non exuberance, as they were handing out FREE rolls of film to all who asked (3 days left to go and get your free film fix). Although the crew was less then excited, they immediately recognized the Jobo logo and were happy to hear about Jobo's return to the US market.

Across the isle, at the Fujifilm booth, there was a huge Instax area, where you can try out the mini instax with the new retro Mini Instax camera, and keep your photos too! On the wall next to the instax a tall display box had pretty much all the fuji films currently available - from 35 to 8X10, velvia provia, across, and the pro color films.

At a few used gear booths people were dumping their digital cameras... Its clear film is coming back

We also spotted many film camera holders around (especially around the Leica booth). Unique photo from NJ and Sammy's from CA were there, both stores have very respectable analog departments, most definitely worth mentioning.
All in all an interesting view of the current state of the industry, on a local level.

hoffner
25-Oct-2013, 06:45
Thanks a lot for you post!

StoneNYC
25-Oct-2013, 09:12
I didn't even know this was happening! How late is it open tonight? I'll wrap on set at like 8pm then would have to drive to NYC (in Mt Vernon currently) since I'm headed tomorrow to Massachusetts :(

koh303
25-Oct-2013, 09:37
http://www.photoplusexpo.com/show/show-dates.shtml