PDA

View Full Version : Expiration date on box?

kevs-2323668
23-Oct-2013, 18:06
Just received boxes of 4x5, TMY 400 and Portra 400 from BH. Can't find expiration dates, are they there? thanks.

Ari
23-Oct-2013, 18:40
Normally on the side of the box, written on the label; format is usually 03/2014.

kevs-2323668
23-Oct-2013, 19:11
Thanks Ari, don't know how I missed it. For BW or Color, how much after the expiration would you say it's still safe to shoot? Same question for my color transparency I still have 100

Jim Andrada
23-Oct-2013, 21:02
B&W - years and years

Color - years. I've never had trouble with color films that were a few years past date.
Maybe 8 or 10 years would be pushing it a bit but 3 to 5 should be OK

YMMV

Harold_4074
23-Oct-2013, 22:01
B&W - years and years

If "properly" stored, anyway. The last five sheets in a box of HP5+ with an expiration date of 12/12 were pretty foggy when processed a few days ago. But that is 400-speed film stored in an unairconditioned building in a locale where 100F and above are not unusual during the summers. Slower film, in a cooler environment, keeps much better.

If in doubt, and particularly if the pictures are important, test before committing---that box from B&H might just have been a return from a customer who declined to mention that he had left it on a radiator for a few weeks in the winter...unlikely, but possible.

Daniel Stone
24-Oct-2013, 00:13
Thanks Ari, don't know how I missed it. For BW or Color, how much after the expiration would you say it's still safe to shoot? Same question for my color transparency I still have 100

I've shot Fujichrome 100D that expired in 1992, and it turned out fine :). It was frozen up until the time I bought it, and I used it quickly after buying it, but it was fine :)
B/W, the oldest stuff I've used was some 4x5 Tri-X from the mid 60s. It had base fog, but I could print through it without much issue. It was a 100sht box, so I shot 5 sheets as "testers" and gauged my necessary processing times from those 5 exposures(I rated it @ 50asa). Negs were fine. IDK storage conditions of this stuff from all the years it sat, unopened and probably went through a few different owners before I got my mitts on it.

-Dan

kevs-2323668
24-Oct-2013, 16:52
Jim, H, Daniel, thanks great info.

I should just keep everything (including Fuji instant film) in my fridge correct? Honestly I would prefer keeping it in on of my closets, and the 4x5 boxes really do crowd my fridge a bit.

No desire to test Harold, at now $4.00 per sheet!!

Leigh
24-Oct-2013, 19:27
I should just keep everything (including Fuji instant film) in my fridge correct?
I always freeze my film from the time I receive it until a week or so before I expect to use it.
I don't shoot instant film. I believe it should not be frozen.

Once opened, I keep it in the darkroom which is in my basement, cool and dark, but not refrigerated.
I'll normally use a 20/25-sheet box in a week or two.

- Leigh

kevs-2323668
24-Oct-2013, 20:29
I did not know it's ok to freeze film.

Leigh
24-Oct-2013, 20:34
I did not know it's ok to freeze film.
Absolutely yes (except NO for Polaroid instant film).

Do a search for "freezer" here and you'll find hundreds of posts talking about it.

- Leigh

koh303
25-Oct-2013, 14:58
I've shot Fujichrome 100D that expired in 1992, and it turned out fine :).
Was that back in 1993?

Seriously though, if you are shooting something important, testing is not a bad idea, and if you dont want to test, just buy new film, thats bound to be cheaper.

kevs-2323668
25-Oct-2013, 20:18
Excellent, thanks L, so BW/ color, all ok in freezer. Now freezer will extend life how much more than refrigerator? And now I guess you don't even really need either until the expiration date is approaching?

IanG
26-Oct-2013, 01:39
It's worth remembering that all the companies were required to put much shorter expiry dates on films to meet ISO 9001 standards, this was more to do with stock control & rotation than actual shelf life of the emulsions.

Ilford don't actually recommend freezing their emulsions, they suggest storing in a cool, dry, place, on the other hand they do suggest if you do freeze films or papers you let them thaw slowly for a few days before use.

Ian