PDA

View Full Version : Lightmeter Sekonic

gmfotografie
22-Oct-2013, 01:37
Hi my friends,

do you think a http://www.sekonic.com/products/l-758dr/overview.aspx
(L-758DR DigitalMaster) can replace my minolta spotmeter f, because i need also a felxible lightmeter for studio work.
I donīt want to miss the great spotmeter function from my minolta spotmeter f.

does anybody have experience with this unit?

best michael

welly
22-Oct-2013, 05:44
I don't have and have never used a Minolta spot meter but I have a Sekonjc 758D meter and it functionals perfectly well. It has everything you might need in a light/spot meter and a bunch of stuff you probably won't. You may want to save a few $ by getting the D version rather than the DR unless you plan to use it with pocket wizards.

SergeiR
22-Oct-2013, 06:10
Unless you want to use calibration feature - 758 is overkill for you. Sekonic has plenty of models with spots in them, including zoomable one. Unless you getting it for free of course ;) (zoom one is still kinda cooler for spotting)

BrianShaw
22-Oct-2013, 06:20
One of the real advantages of that family of meters when used for studio work is the extensive flash metering capabilities. As a spot meter, it is a very capable meter.

Leigh
22-Oct-2013, 17:43
Hi Michael,

Unless you like wasting money, I suggest you ignore the L-758.
It's a L-558 on steroids, with added features that you'll never use, and almost double the price.

I have the L-558, the direct predecessor of the L-758.

It has a very accurate 1° spot meter, along with every conceivable metering function.

The L-558 is no longer in production, but readily available on the used market.

The 558 (and other Sekonic models) will trigger PocketWizard II flash remotes when you push a button.
The PWII remotes, and the module inside the meter, must conform to EU standards for use in Austria.

Those are available. If you buy a used 558, make sure it has the proper module installed.
It may have no module installed. They were an option, sold separately for the L-558.

Modules for use in the US have an FCC logo. You don't want that.
I don't know how EU modules are marked.

- Leigh

Daniel Stone
22-Oct-2013, 22:03
Hi Michael,

Unless you like wasting money, I suggest you ignore the L-758.
It's a L-558 on steroids, with added features that you'll never use, and almost double the price.

I have the L-558, the direct predecessor of the L-758.

It has a very accurate 1° spot meter, along with every conceivable metering function.

The L-558 is no longer in production, but readily available on the used market.

The 558 (and other Sekonic models) will trigger PocketWizard II flash remotes when you push a button.
The PWII remotes, and the module inside the meter, must conform to EU standards for use in Austria.

Those are available. If you buy a used 558, make sure it has the proper module installed.
It may have no module installed. They were an option, sold separately for the L-558.

Modules for use in the US have an FCC logo. You don't want that.
I don't know how EU modules are marked.

- Leigh

Pay attention to the above text marked in red. This is a very common problem of people outside purchasing US-based equipment, or vice versa(heck, I purchased a 558R that turned out to be a Euro(non-FCC) version, seller was willing to take a return due to his non-stipulation of that fact).

gmfotografie
23-Oct-2013, 00:55
thank you all for those great tipps michael

natelfo
3-Nov-2013, 06:03
I own a L758DR and it is truly a wonderful meter. I have never owned, or even used, any other hand held meter, and on the same token, I have no desire to ever own or use any other handheld meter. I bought this meter when I bought my first LF camera, a Crown Graphic, a few years ago. You might say that this meter is overkill, especially for starting out, and I would have to agree. There are several features that I haven't even messed with and maybe never will. I bought it used in brand new condition from a college student who bought it for school and didn't need it anymore for $300. That was too good of a deal to pass up, and like I said, as long as this meter continues to perform accurately and relaibly, I will never need anything else. If you can find one used at a good price, maybe equal or a little less than a new 558, then why not? If you can get a better deal on a 558, well, I seriously doubt you would ever want for anything more as well. Either way, you can't lose.

DKirk
8-Nov-2013, 11:17
If you're buying new I'll second the 758DR - perhaps overkill but quality kit. It's not too big to make it unweildy, batteries last ages (and there's a bit in the pouch for you to pop a spare in).