PDA

View Full Version : For Toho Users re: Verticals

Al Seyle
10-Aug-2004, 11:22
I plan to purchase a Toho for use with a Gitzo 1228 and ballhead (yet to be selected). Is there any reason NOT to just flip the whole camera at the ballhead for vertcals as opposed to reconfiguring the camera?

Bruce Watson
10-Aug-2004, 12:03
Reconfiguring the camera takes seconds. That, and I almost always know that a particular scene is a vertical or horizontal before I assemble the camera, so I get it right the first time.

The only reason not to use the ball head to flip the camera for a vertical is balance. The camera doesn't weigh much, but it isn't negligible. I've tried this on a 1228 with an Arca-Swiss B1, and I don't recommend it. Much nicer to just reconfigure the camera. But.... YMMV.

Enjoy the Toho. I've sure enjoyed mine!

Bob Fowler
10-Aug-2004, 12:05
It doesn't mater if it's a Toho or not - it's a matter of center of gravity. You want to have the weight of the camera centered on the tripod, not off to one side.

Leonard Evens
10-Aug-2004, 16:27
I've experimented with that with my old Tiltall Pro tripod, which weighs about 6 lbs. The whole setup isn't obviously ready to fall over, but it is certainly less stable that way. Not only would it be more subject to vibration, but also if you happen to jar the tripod, or in a strong wind, it might in fact fall over.. As the others have suggested, it doesn't take all that long to switch, and if you scout out the scene beforehand with a viewing frame, you won't have to bother. Finally, I spend most of my time getting the camera level, and you would have to do that all over again if you turned the tripod head 90 degrees, and it would be harder to do. If you reconfigure the standards assembly, you may not have to relevel the camera at all.

No camera is without faults, and in practice, this is not really a significant issue, at least for me.

Harley Goldman
10-Aug-2004, 16:43
I recently bought a Toho and that was my biggest concern. Once you have done it a few times, flipping from horizontal to vertical is very quick and easy. For me, it is a non-issue. I am very much enjoying my Toho on backpacks. It is a pleasure to use.

Don Boyd
10-Aug-2004, 22:49
In a pinch I have just flipped it on its side. The problem, and why I think it is worth the effort to remount it, is that the height changes and I find I'm stooped over a bit trying to focus off to the side of my Gitzo 1325 and Manfrotto ballhead.

Brian Ellis
11-Aug-2004, 05:25
With my Arca Swiss B1 ball head on a Bogen 3221 tripod, a combination I use with my Pentax 67 camera, when I flip the camera for verticals the camera bumps into the top of the tripod before it gets to a perfectly vertical position. To get the camera perfectly (more or less) vertical I have to move one of the tripod legs inward so that the camera is vertical but the tipod is uneven, a somewhat precarious and not very desirable situation. It also presents the problem Don mentioned, which is particularly aggravating with buildings or similar things when you want the camera as high as possible, not lower. If you plan to flip the Toho this is something to keep in mind when selecting a ball head and/or tripod.

Bill_1856
11-Aug-2004, 08:29
I don't understand what the problem is. Why not just move the back from horizontal to vertical? Is there a problem doing this on the Toho, or is the back fixed like a Speed Graphic?

tim atherton
11-Aug-2004, 08:35
bill

you have to move the back AND the front from v to h. It doesnt have a seperate removable back - part of what makes it so light and compact

tim atherton
11-Aug-2004, 08:41
bill - if you've never actually seen one:

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

Bill_1856
11-Aug-2004, 10:39
Thanks, Tim. No, I've never seen one. An interesting arrangement, but it would drive me crazy!

CXC
16-Aug-2004, 12:52
Al, don't worry, it gets easier to change orientations with just a little experience. At first I thought I needed an extra hand (I have the 5x7 and a G1228), but a few more reps and it got easier. I still struggle with getting it in and out of a bag -- I don't like to have to take it completely apart, but it is pretty bulky and awkward if you don't; even with the body off, the standards left on the rail is a messy piece of machinery to pack. On the other hand, if I completely disassemble it, I can cram it into a shoulder bag... I guess patience has its rewards.