PDA

View Full Version : Pinkham Smith P&S Visual Quality no 2

Andrew Plume
21-Oct-2013, 05:31
.............currently listed on the auction site :):)

.............I have no connection with either the lens or the seller

andrew

goamules
21-Oct-2013, 06:56
That lens looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. However, there is a VERY interesting feature. Notice the aperture reads Wollensak. Many of us have always notices a similarity between the later Pinkhams and the barrels of Wollensak manufacturing. Maybe this is the missing link.

Maybe Jim will win his bet now:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?95311-Pinkham-Smith-Serial-numbers-and-model-numbers&p=936952&viewfull=1#post936952

cowanw
23-Oct-2013, 19:23
That lens looks like it was rode hard and put away wet. However, there is a VERY interesting feature. Notice the aperture reads Wollensak. Many of us have always notices a similarity between the later Pinkhams and the barrels of Wollensak manufacturing. Maybe this is the missing link.

Maybe Jim will win his bet now:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?95311-Pinkham-Smith-Serial-numbers-and-model-numbers&p=936952&viewfull=1#post936952

As a missing link, it would be very late in the evolutionary timeframe. More likely, an example of evolutionary convergence.:)
Certainly the 11 1/2 inch Verito is a perfect match in glass size, threads and barrel diameter for the Pinkham and Smith 12 inch lens.
Having said that, this lens surely has a multiplicity of barrel bits and I cannot imagine the lens came from the factory with the front element not screwing in all the way. Wouldn't this play havoc with the carefully ground elements and their spacing. (although no one notice if the individuality of each lens is true)
Given the nature of the fit of the front element to the barrel, possibly some bits including the aperture are from a 11 1/2 inch Verito.
I had thought this thread would generate a lot more posts. Perhaps everyone is keeping their powder dry.

Amedeus
23-Oct-2013, 23:22
As a missing link, it would be very late in the evolutionary timeframe.

The first VQ 2 series IV I have in my serial number database is #2256, the highest serial number I have is also a VQ 2, Series IV with #2895. The first Visual Quality serial number I have is for a VQ 1 and that's a #1439

So the lens in heading is indeed a late production model.