PDA

View Full Version : TMAX RS mix to stock amount? Simple question...

ryanmills
20-Oct-2013, 21:49
Given the complete lack of instructions for TMAX RS i'm hoping some wise gentlemen can help. The J98 doc says nothing and the box only has one vague illustration. On the box is says mix 1.9 liters of water with Part A, then add Part B... obviously that does not add up to a gallon or 3.8 liters... the illustration makes it looks as thou after that I fill it up, however it does not say if i fill to a gallon/3.8 liters or use a total of 3.8 gallons of water. I'm assuming I fill to get a total volume of 3.8 liters, however this is just fucking stupid to even half to ask this. I also see is talking about 1:4 and 1:9 ratios however no one ever seems to specify if that's from stock or concentrate. Or perhaps concentrate is meant to be mixed 1:4 and if thats the case why the hell dont they just say that? And does that mean if I want to use John Sextons 1:9 ratio is that from concentrate or stock?

Michael Clark
20-Oct-2013, 21:54
The 1:9 is from concentrate. The stuff works pretty good.

Mike

Jody_S
20-Oct-2013, 21:55
1:9 from the concentrate out of the bottle. Use 100ml concentrate to obtain 1L of solution. I've used it much more dilute for controlling contrast on x-ray film, but I didn't like the results.

ryanmills
20-Oct-2013, 22:02
Excited to try it, i just dont understand why kodak could not be bothered to just list things like normal or at least make it clearer. So 1:4 makes the normal stock, and 1:9 makes the "sexton" stock. Seen a lot of guys I respect using it like Jock Sturges, Stephan Vanfleteren, etc.

Heroique
20-Oct-2013, 23:34
Yes, I agree that Kodak’s editor nodded here.

If you “fill it up” to 3.8 liters (or 1 gallon), it’s Kodak’s 1:4 “stock” solution.

However, this stock solution happens also to be what Kodak considers the working solution. That is, Kodak thinks you’re using this 1:4 solution to develop film, and their estimated development times are based on this assumption.

But if you wish, you can mix one part of this 1:4 solution, w/ one part water, to create a 1:9 solution – a favorite working solution for people around here. (Alternatively, you can go against Kodak’s warning, mix A+B alone, then add 1 part of this, to 9 parts water, and arrive at 1:9 just the same.) Development times will be longer, of course.

-----
Don’t forget to consider the replenishment option – after each 8x10 sheet (or four 4x5 sheets, etc.), you can add 1.5 ounces of “new” working solution to “used” working solution, and you’re back to regular strength. An alternative to the one-shot method, good for the environment!

ryanmills
21-Oct-2013, 00:08
Yes, I agree that Kodak’s editor nodded here.

If you “fill it up” to 3.8 liters (or 1 gallon), it’s Kodak’s 1:4 “stock” solution.

However, this stock solution happens also to be what Kodak considers the working solution. That is, Kodak thinks you’re using this 1:4 solution to develop film, and their estimated development times are based on this assumption.

But if you wish, you can mix one part of this 1:4 solution, w/ one part water, to create a 1:9 solution – a favorite working solution for people around here. (Alternatively, you can go against Kodak’s warning, mix A+B alone, then add 1 part of this, to 9 parts water, and arrive at 1:9 just the same.) Development times will be longer, of course.

-----
Don’t forget to consider the replenishment option – after each 8x10 sheet (or four 4x5 sheets, etc.), you can add 1.5 ounces of “new” working solution to “used” working solution, and you’re back to regular strength. An alternative to the one-shot method, good for the environment!

Ok its all making sense now, a few bottles of stella artois before starting to test TMAX RS for the first time was a poor choice... I think I have it sorted now. I'm going to just mix it 1:4 for storage and most dev except when I know its high contrast then im going to give a 1:2 mix of 1:4 mix a whirl (im just shaking my head reading that).

Thank all once again for making a dim bulb brighter!

jeroldharter
21-Oct-2013, 11:31
Just my 2 cents, but there is not much point diluting the TMAX RS stock and then diluting it again. Simply use 100 ml out of the Kodak bottle + 900 ml water = 1 liter of 1:9 working solution. Or do the same with any other dilution. That convenience is one of the appealing aspects of TMAX RS.

photobymike
21-Oct-2013, 14:37
i just mix up the whole thing. i use it alot so it does not stand around long ...but i have used some that was 3 months old and it worked perfectly. I mix a gallon at a time to get good constancy.