PDA

View Full Version : Linhof lensboard could not find lens

donniexiao
20-Oct-2013, 19:37
Hi, dear staff, I got a very vintage Linhof 5x7 folding camera months ago, and I believe it was made in late 1930's as the first generation of TECHNIKA.

Also a lens board was attached on the camera with the diameter of hole thread being 79mm, I just bought a Carl Zeiss Tessar 250/4.5 lens of no shutter version, but it could not be fitted since the diameter of lens is about 75mm.

May anyone know that what lens could be installed on the lensboard with the diameter of 79mm???

Waiting for answer and any reply would be much appreciated.

IanG
21-Oct-2013, 00:53
Why don't you just make new lens boards ? All you need is some aluminium sheet the right thickness, cut to size and drill whatever hole the lens needs, finally paint the board.

Ian

Steven Tribe
21-Oct-2013, 02:31
You should be looking for Shutter sizes - rather than lens sizes!

This will probably match with a Compound shutter size with something like a Heliar mounted. This could explain why the lens/shutter is missing!

donniexiao
21-Oct-2013, 19:50
You should be looking for Shutter sizes - rather than lens sizes!

This will probably match with a Compound shutter size with something like a Heliar mounted. This could explain why the lens/shutter is missing!

Ow...did you means Heliar had more probability of problems and may be discarded?

donniexiao
21-Oct-2013, 19:52
Why don't you just make new lens boards ? All you need is some aluminium sheet the right thickness, cut to size and drill whatever hole the lens needs, finally paint the board.

Ian

Thanks...of coz I could make some board fitting it just for using...but I am a collector of camera with hoping to know and find the right lens as 80 years ago.

Steven Tribe
22-Oct-2013, 00:38
No - I mean that a big Heliar mounted on a working Compound shutter is worth more than a pre-war 13x18cm Linhof.
The previous owner has decided to maximise his/her profit by selling them separately. Whilst the antique Linhof is a quality camera, it is not that different from a lot of other German plate cameras from the 20's and 30's and has known problems with rather special (difficult to find!) plate holders.

This splitting up of a complete item into lots is very, very common. I very recently had to buy a studio camera and its back in two separate auctions with a week between them.

pasiasty
22-Oct-2013, 01:51
It might be some lens in Compound 4 tube 10, e.g. Xenar 210/3.5, 240/4.5, 270/4.5, 270/5.5, 300/5.5, Symmar 360/6.8 - if Schneider is concerned. Other German companies, like Carl Zeiss or Voigtländer, did similar lenses, and they all used same shutters. Browse through their catalogues at Camera Eccentric (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html).

Also some more 'exotic' lens would fit, like Boyer Saphir 260/4.5, which has recently sold for Eur 76 (in a working shutter, as the seller claimed).

donniexiao
23-Oct-2013, 09:28
It might be some lens in Compound 4 tube 10, e.g. Xenar 210/3.5, 240/4.5, 270/4.5, 270/5.5, 300/5.5, Symmar 360/6.8 - if Schneider is concerned. Other German companies, like Carl Zeiss or Voigtländer, did similar lenses, and they all used same shutters. Browse through their catalogues at Camera Eccentric (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/info.html).

Also some more 'exotic' lens would fit, like Boyer Saphir 260/4.5, which has recently sold for Eur 76 (in a working shutter, as the seller claimed).

So…so thanks…I will check it carefully on internet following your guidance.