PDA

View Full Version : Advice on adapting Aristo VCL 4500 head to Type II Zone VI 5x7 enlarger

Larry Kellogg
20-Oct-2013, 19:16
Hello,
I'm in the middle of seeing how I can have a Aristo VCL 4500 cold light head adapted to a Type II Zone VI 5x7 enlarger. I found this document on the Voltarc/Aristo website that shows how a bezel has to be made to adapt the 4500 to the Zone VI.

http://www.light-sources.com/sites/default/files/vcl4500_adaption__to__zone_vi_enlarger_info..pdf

Through the generosity of another LF member, I have a type I metal box I can use as a bezel. It will needed to have a spacer put on the back to get it centered over the 5x7 negative carrier, and it is not as high as the type II box, so the rear metal tang will have to be made higher. I have attached a picture.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can go about this retrofit so as to make the combination workable? What about insuring that the light is even? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,

Larry

P.S. Glad to see the forum back up and running.

Larry Kellogg
21-Oct-2013, 12:58
Nobody, nobody? ;-)

If I wind up with a hot spot, what do people think about getting this made for the Aristo 4500?

"LIGHT BALANCING DIFFUSION DISK, for Omega or Beseler, 6 7/16" diameter, thicker in the center, simply replace your condensers with this or replace the opal plastic diffusion disk supplied with your Aristo or Zone IV cold light head. Think you don't need it? Guess again. Make a flash test by focusing on the negative plane and making a midtone grey print with no negative in the enlarger. You'll probably find that you have a serious hot spot in the center. This light balancing filter is a new item made by GLENNVIEW, available nowhere else, $100. Similar item in 5X7" format, $250. Similar item for Aristo model 810 cold light head, 8.75X10.75" in size, the largest size I can make, $400. Expect 1-2 stops less light ouput with this diffusion disk. The plastic in the 2nd photo has the paper that comes on it as new to protect it. You can see the paper through the edges of the disk because the plastic is thin at the edges. The plastic is smooth under the paper; that side goes down. The machined side goes up. Are you a machinist? Try machining a thin sheet of plastic. You will find it is not worth your time to learn how. I have sold these to Europe's largest photo equipment distributor. I never thought I would be selling a machined product to the Germans."

http://www.glennview.com/dkrm1.htm

Larry Kellogg
23-Oct-2013, 13:23
Gee, I hope somebody has done this before, with good results.

Michael Alpert
23-Oct-2013, 17:09
Larry,

My response may not be what you want, but here goes. I have a VCL 4500 head, which I use with a Beseler 45MXT. In 2003, when I changed formats to 5x7, I bought an Omega 5x7 enlarger and an Aristo EK57SP-C-V54 head, which uses Filters below the lens. The N.Y. store, Lens and Repro was very helpful to me, sending hardware and instructions so I could fit the head to the enlarger. It works beautifully. At the time I assumed that a 4x5 head, including the VCL 4500, would not have the capacity to work with 5x7 negatives. I don't know if Aristo still makes enlarger heads. I suggest that you contact Lens and Repro to see if they can help you. As you know too well, the availability of photographic equipment has become a problem, so what I am writing might not be of any use to you. In any case, I wish you well with this project.

Larry Kellogg
24-Oct-2013, 08:13
Hello Michael,
Thanks for the information. Funny enough, I'm working with Frank Rubio, the former repair guy from Lens and Repro, on adapting the 4500 to the Zone VI. I think it is to be ok, but I guess I'll find out. Aristo claimed it covered 5x7. I'll post my results.

How is the V54 different or better than the 4500?

Larry

Larry Kellogg
24-Oct-2013, 10:32
So, how big around is the round part of the V54 head? I would like to compare it to the 4500.

sepiareverb
24-Oct-2013, 13:29
I've been trying to see if I can get a diffusion VC head on my Zone VI 810 and still fit it in the current darkroom space.

I adapted a Zone VI head to a Beseler 45 years ago, but that's going the other direction...

Apologies that I'm not any help, but I'm curious to hear how this goes. It's the hacking that is half the fun for me.

Michael Alpert
24-Oct-2013, 13:49
Larry,

The diffusion screen on the bottom of my 5x7 head is rectangular, approximately 6.25" x 8.625". The 5x7 Omega film-holders only go in one way, so there's no need for a larger or circular light source. The diameter of the opening of the 4500 is 6.125" and will not cover 5x7--at least that's what I've assumed. I think anyone would find the 4500 system easier to use, with its ability to dial-in fractions of a grade; but using below-the-lens filters works equally well. I don't think my prints from 5x7 negatives have diminished in quality. I use Ilford 3.5" filters, which complement a newer Rodagon lens (67mm filter thread. This is what the filter holder screws onto.) Older Rodagon lenses are bigger (77mm ?) and need larger filters and a different filter holder. I think Lens and Repro was the company that worked with Omega when they produced the EK57SP-C-V54. I hope this information is of some use to you.

Drew Wiley
24-Oct-2013, 13:51
In principle, you always need the cold light to be appreciably larger than the format you intend to cover, so that the bends in the grid are outside the image area.
Otherwise you won't get either consistent or reliable exposure, and simply burning in might not fully cure the problem. A big rectangular head works better in this
respect than a round one. Color-wise, the blue-green Aristo tube has a lot going for it, and really makes split printing easier with VC papers if you simply have on
hand a deep green and deep blue filter, even over the lens. Otherwise, you can use it as it is with excellent results. If you can find one of these, it will do a nicer
job than a white grid. I don't know why darkroom space would be much of an issue with any Aristo head. They aren't very tall, and the footprint is always less than
the enlarger itself.

Larry Kellogg
24-Oct-2013, 14:47
Thanks for the comments, Michael and Drew! Sigh, perhaps this whole thing has been wishful thinking on my part. I just wonder why Aristo published that the 4500 could be used on various 5x7 enlargers if that just wasn't the case. I think the 4500 is going to be just the thing for printing 4x5s. ;-)

Where in the world am I going to find a EK57SP-C-V54 head to somehow retrofit to my Zone VI? Is that even possible? Perhaps I have to make peace with Fred Picker's alphabetic contrast grade scheme, which, unfortunately, is just not repeatable. It's too bad they never changed the design to make it easier to use.

By the way, I have been in touch with Louise Kessler at VoltArc, and bulbs are available through special order for the 4500, as well as for the 8x10 head, so that's good news. I was hoping that the 4500 would be my long term solution for 5x7. I guess it's not, but I'm going to try anyway.

Larry Kellogg
24-Oct-2013, 18:36
Found this comment. Any thoughts? "Gudmundur Ingólfsson , Nov 02, 2001; 01:40 a.m.
The ideal 5x7" enlager is the 138 Durst either with condensers a color head or with the Aristo VCL 4500 and a 5x7" adapter. There are many 5x7" Durst enlagers for sale in Europe. Have a look at http:// www.homrich.de and look at what they offer
"

Michael Alpert
25-Oct-2013, 10:54
Larry,

Gudmundur was probably correct about the 138 Durst with a color head, but I'm not sure about using the Aristo with an adapter. The size of the Aristo diffusion screen would, I think, limit its use. When I bought my Omega, I was looking for a used Durst, but none was available at a reasonable price and within a reasonable driving distance (I live in central Maine). I also wanted an enlarger that was in very good shape when I received it. If you can find a newer Durst 138 that has all its parts (including condensers, lenses, and film holders) and is in good shape, I would grab it. But I would also first check to make sure that the bulb it uses is still available. There is also the option now of using an LED light source. I don't know anything about those lights except that they are certainly bright enough. Having the bulb-color such that the light can be used with variable-contrast paper is another question. You might be able to find the answer about color in previous threads or on another forum site. Best wishes.

Drew Wiley
25-Oct-2013, 11:20
I've got one of my Durst 138 chassis adapted to a big hi-output 12x12 Aristo head for 8x10 printing. What you DON'T want to do is get one of those little cold lights
that slides into the tray position of a 138 condenser head - It won't give even coverage on 5x7 or have much poop either, and probably all of the many that are still
around are severely worn out.

Larry Kellogg
25-Oct-2013, 15:23
Thanks, Drew. I'll just see what happens after the retrofit, and, if need be, figure out how to get ahold of some other solution for 5x7. I'm not interested in a color head. I have been doing some research on LED solutions and see that as a possibility. By the way, what does a 5x7 adapter look like? I don't know if I have ever seen one.

Drew Wiley
25-Oct-2013, 15:40
The Durst 138 is basically a 5x7 enlarger to begin with. So all you really need is the top plate which hold the neg carrier in position. You can probably cannibalize one
of these from a condenser head or simply fabricate one out of aluminum or phenolic sheet. One you have this as a platform, you just need to shim it up a bit, so there's enough room for a white plexi diffuser, and then simply pop the cold light on top. Turning one into an 8x10 unit, however, is more complicated, because you
have to create a whole new negative stage and carrier. There are a couple people who will do this for a fee. It should be fairly simple to convert a Zone VI system
for a cold light too. The newer LED options don't really change any of the adaptation issues. .. they're still going to be some kind of flat rectangular box with a
diffuser.

Robert Langham
2-Nov-2013, 10:11
Larry: I have one that came with a used Zone VI Type 2 that I bought. I'm using it on 5X7. Not optimum but it's great compared to the Zone VI head which is green in the corners and gives wildly varying illumination field.

Here's photos of the connector. Looks like an easy build.

103990 103991

Aluminum box. The attachment to the enlarger fits right in the slot where the other head engages. Works fine.

Robert Langham
2-Nov-2013, 10:17
And just for the heck of it- heres a look at the face of the Zone VI head. Both tubes working and responsive to controls, but look at the color difference across the head! Might work with graded paper- haven't tried it. Keeping it with an eye toward either replacing the tubes or rebuilding in some way. It's a nice generous chassis.

103995 MStM last March.

Larry Kellogg
3-Nov-2013, 06:32
Hello Robert,
Thanks for the pictures! I will send them to Frank, my repair guy, to see if they help him. Could you post a couple that show the whole bezel and a shot from underneath? I assume the round diffuser is in place on the 4500 and that there is no other diffuser on the square part of the head. So, you have been pretty happy with your prints from 5x7 negatives? Have you had bad light fall off in the corners? I'm excited to try this out the 4500 as soon as I get back the bezel.

Yikes, that Zone VI head does not look good!

Larry

Larry Kellogg
8-Nov-2013, 10:55
Hello Robert,
Sorry to bother you again. How high is your bezel and what lens do you use to enlarge 5x7? I tried out the bezel on my enlarger, and while 4x5 looks good, there are issues with 5x7. How close is your 4500 head to the glass negative carrier? I have ordered a Componon 210mm to try out.

Larry

Robert Langham
9-Apr-2015, 07:13
Sorry I missed this post and the follow-up. I went to an Aristo VC head for 5X7 for a while, then back to Omega chassis and a Modern Enlarger Lamp 5X7 head with warm LEDs and used filters under the lens. The MEL head is pretty good. Just started fooling with the Zone VI again. It's still got multiple problems but I'm having the head stripped out, just using the case and putting in the same LEDs as the MEL head. (Focus wand also broken at knuckle....that's been an oddessy trying to find that part and I haven't found it for sure yet. Six weeks delivery time.)

180 on the Omega. 210 on the Zone VI. Haven't printed on the ZVI yet but the Omega seems happy.

Sorry again about years late in reply. PM anytime I can help.