PDA

View Full Version : Any Wehman Users ??

jesskramer
9-Aug-2004, 13:29
I am on Bruce's list for the september production run. Any insights on using his cameras?? 300mm Fujinon C, 450mm Nikon M, 600mm Fujinon C

Thanks, Jesse

Ken Lee
9-Aug-2004, 14:58
May I ask, who is Bruce, and what is the September production run ?

tim atherton
9-Aug-2004, 15:07
http://wehmancamera.com/

http://wehmancamera.com/camban.html

http://wehmancamera.com/tecban.html

Frank Petronio
9-Aug-2004, 15:11
Bruce as in Bruce Wehman, and I guess he's making cameras in September.

Andre Noble
9-Aug-2004, 19:04
or perhaps they will be finished in September. I'm pretty sure full payment is due by September, though.

paul stimac
9-Aug-2004, 19:32
Jesse,

I have one and love it. I’ve owned a Kodak Master, Calumet C1, have test driven a Wisner Traditional and a Toyo M. I liked them all but I wouldn’t trade any of them for this camera. It's exactly what it's advertised to be. It's very strong and stable and surprisingly light. If you are looking for a field camera with those qualities, I think you'll be very happy. I use both a 120mm and a 1200mm lens without changing the bellows (you can’t change bellows, by the way.) If you install the plexi-glass ground glass (he gives you both a glass one and a plexi-glass one) you can literally throw it in the back of you're truck and not hurt it (though I'd never treat it like that). It will accommodate flat lenses like a nikkor 300m folded up.

Is there anything more specific you’d like to know about it?

Paul

Any Wehman Users ??

I am on Bruce's list for the september production run. Any insights on using his cameras?? 300mm Fujinon C, 450mm Nikon M, 600mm Fujinon C

Thanks, Jesse

--Jesse Kramer, 2004-08-09 12:29 PM

jesskramer
9-Aug-2004, 21:51
Paul, thanks for your response Do you feel the camera locks down tight. Any insights from an experienced user. Any maintainence tips. I plan on landscapes, still lifes, portraits, but no architecture. It just seems like a very refined( not in the fragile sense) machine, just what is needed with no extras It also seems like it does not have too many adjustments that have to be manipulated. So you like the plexiglass?? How about centering and leveling, are there any detents?? Any modifications you have made or wish you had on the camera??

Do you use a fresnel?? Any other tips?? Thanks, Jesse

paul stimac
10-Aug-2004, 09:13
Jess,

The camera locks down very tight with minimal effert and is very stable. I often use a 1200mm outdoors. I get sharp pictures. This camera feels stronger than all "field cameras" out there that I've seen. (not counting the calumet c1, but that's a tank, not really a field camera)

I'm not a maintainence type person. I've done nothing to this camera and it hasn't given me any problems.

There are detents to keep the front and rear standards parallel and aligned side to side. There is nothing for the front rise although I think that when the front panel is flush on top with the standard, everything is alligned. That's how I do it and haven't had any problems. I have an older version of the camera. Maybe the newer ones have this market better.

I actually haven't used the plexiglass. I think it good that he includes it. It came with the glass one and that's how I left it. I've always intended to put in on when backpacking but haven't and haven't had any problems with the glass while backpacking. I think I'll give it a try today just because you mentioned it.

You are correct, it doesn't have too many adjustments, but it still has ample movements. The rear swing it very unique. By angling the front standard and taking the front panel off the track you can get 4"+ more extension than what is advertised. Doing this the other way you can get the front panel to touch the ground glass.

I can set it up and take it down fast - around a minute for each. It's a fun camera to use. I can't think of anything I want on it. I'd like to see the changes he's made to the newer ones.

I shoot 95% landscapes so this camera is perfect for me. Everyone's different and has different tastes. Bruce is a nice person. If you don't like it, I'm sure he'd work something out. I really think you'll be happy with it though.

Good luck. Paul

Bob Krantz
13-Aug-2004, 17:02
I can strongly second what Paul says. I have had my Wehman for about 3 years now. It replaced a heavy wood 8x10. The Wehman is lighter, folds more compactly, and gives me no worries about its survival in my backpack or in luggage. It sets up quickly and firmly and handles all conditions (very cold and snow, hot and sun, wet (very wet) and wind. It has more movements than any lens I have put on it (Fuji 360 is my standard). It even satisfies my personal bias of function over form (or more specifically, form derived from function). Definitely not a pretty, display shelf camera but attractive, at least to me.

Better yet, Bruce is great to deal with. He was receptive to many questions and requests I had at first, including selling me an uncut back so I could create my own 4x5 reducing back.

CXC
16-Aug-2004, 13:08
I'm quite happy with mine, for landscape use. The movements are limited, I wouldn't recommend it for architecture, but then neither does Bruce. With shorter lenses, you can remove the extension plate entirely, leave it in the car, and the thing becomes even simpler to use, and lighter. It's great strength is its bombproofness. And price, at least when I bought mine.

I can fold it up with a G-Claron 240 or a Fuji C 450 on the board, with the board reversed in the camera. I had www.bromwellmarketing.com convert one of the two delivered lensboards into an adapter board for Linhof boards. And I've used it with a SSXL 110 fine.

Mine came with the plexiglass installed, I haven't removed the real glass from its packaging, plexi is just fine.

I had a couple issues with it new that Bruce was very prompt and helpful in resolving. Turned out to be user errors, as usual.

I just wish it was 11x14.