PDA

View Full Version : C-41 from CatLabs

Kimberly Anderson
8-Oct-2013, 10:45
I ordered the C-41 kit from CatLabs a few weeks ago and have processed about 30 rolls of 35 and 120 film and six sheets of 4x5. I've mixed up two separate batches of chemistry and I must say that it is VERY easy to do. The instructions are FOOL-PROOF. The chems are sweet and the color film looks wonderful. I am processing in a JOBO machine and again, the system is of course perfect. The CatLabs kit takes the mystery and hype out of C-41 processing (wow, that sounds like some kind of ad copy...). In fact doing C-41 in many ways is easier and quicker than when I develop my own Pyro.

I'm scanning with an Eversmart II.

Portra 400 shot at 200. Linhof Tech III, Xenotar 135 3.5 wide open.

bob carnie
8-Oct-2013, 10:55
Looks good

I have been using fuji C41 on the new Jobo that I bought from CatLabs , works very well in a one shot fashion.

Ari
8-Oct-2013, 10:58
I'll have to look into pricing; on APUG, the distributor said the cost of shipping (to Canada) might negate any savings on the kit.
I'm still happy getting the powdered Tetenal kit from B&H, but if there's a way to get the CatLabs stuff for any cheaper, I would switch.

Kimberly Anderson
8-Oct-2013, 11:00
I am running 3-shots with the developer. CatLabs provides a formula to compensate for each run with the developer. There's also a good push formula as well. I did a 2-stop push with some 120 film and the negs look perfect. A little punchy, but that's to be expected from a 2-stop push with Portra 160.

bob carnie
8-Oct-2013, 11:25
I double shot the Bleach and The Fix, worked very well, the Dev is just a dump.

I have a Fuji account so getting the supplies is easy.
This is a very smart initiative by Catlabs to make it available in small kits.

I am running 3-shots with the developer. CatLabs provides a formula to compensate for each run with the developer. There's also a good push formula as well. I did a 2-stop push with some 120 film and the negs look perfect. A little punchy, but that's to be expected from a 2-stop push with Portra 160.

EdSawyer
8-Oct-2013, 14:25
I use dev one-shot as well. The only thing I recycle is bleach. but in general, bleach is the most expensive part of the process. Good to know more people are doing their own C-41!

frotog
8-Oct-2013, 17:23
Is the catlabs kit fuji or kodak chem?

Kodachrome25
8-Oct-2013, 20:08
Looks good

I have been using fuji C41 on the new Jobo that I bought from CatLabs , works very well in a one shot fashion.

Bob, how are you liking the CPP3 and how easy is it to menu dive the settings? I like the idea of it but love the dedicated knobs for temp, rpm, etc on my CPP2.

koh303
30-Dec-2013, 15:32
Is the catlabs kit fuji or kodak chem?

Neither ;)

EdSawyer
30-Dec-2013, 19:37
Hmm. Probably Champion or Trebla then. If anything else, I'd avoid it.

Wayne
5-Jan-2014, 07:33
There is no mystery in C41 processing, and I don't know what hype you are referring to but I'm happy we have another c41 convert. I developed my first C41 last month without Catlabs or Jobo, and it turned out great. Then I printed it with RA4 and that turned out great too. Its easier and much faster than Ilfochrome and certainly easier than B&W.

Liquid Artist
6-Jan-2014, 06:52
I'll have to look into pricing; on APUG, the distributor said the cost of shipping (to Canada) might negate any savings on the kit.
I'm still happy getting the powdered Tetenal kit from B&H, but if there's a way to get the CatLabs stuff for any cheaper, I would switch.
I don't know if it's possible or more affordable for us Canadians to somehow do a bulk order and then divide it up here. If it is I'd be interested in a couple batches after my account recovers from the December shock.

koh303
6-Jan-2014, 09:26
I don't know if it's possible or more affordable for us Canadians to somehow do a bulk order and then divide it up here. If it is I'd be interested in a couple batches after my account recovers from the December shock.

We have checked the options for shipping to canada, but as noted above the over all customs fees might make the price prohibitive, however, we are happy to explore this further for any interested parties. Contact us directly for more info.

Liquid Artist
6-Jan-2014, 18:55
We have checked the options for shipping to canada, but as noted above the over all customs fees might make the price prohibitive, however, we are happy to explore this further for any interested parties. Contact us directly for more info.
I can certainly understand the Customs fees being a killer, although they usually aren't too bad through USPS.
You do not want to know what UPS will try dinging us.

I'll be seeing my mom in the spring, who lives in a border town. I'll often have items shipped to a US postal box shortly before these trips, and was thinking of doing the same thing then. So I always have a backup plan, but I sometimes have to wait a little longer than I want.
I will contact you a month or so before my trip.

koh303
8-Jan-2014, 16:23
Just posted a 5 month test of our kit here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=496683203783854&set=a.276376189147891.64445.276274625824714&type=1&relevant_count=1